Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

The Witcher: Who's watching?

The Witcher Netflix Henry Cavill

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

Oh boy does this look good!  Anyone watching on 20th of December?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:01 PM

I'm really looking forward to watching.  Netflix says it is hoping, The Witcher will be the next "Game of Thrones".

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:18 AM

Well, since I didn't watch Game of Thrones, and can't be convinced to do so - I'll just hope it does the books justice.

The trailer looks great.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:16 AM

I am looking forward to this as well. I didn't realize it was airing this soon though so thanks for the heads up.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 02 December 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

Well, since I didn't watch Game of Thrones, and can't be convinced to do so - I'll just hope it does the books justice.

The trailer looks great.

QT

I don't think they mean like "GoT" I think they mean as popular/successful as...

#6 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:23 PM

Yup, I'm on board big-time.  I haven't read the books, but do adore the character from the games.  I know the series is officially based on the books, but it's crazy to think there isn't going to be some inspiration from how the game presented the characters... so I'm curious to see how much overlap/divergence there ends up being.

In particular, I think the fact that they seem aware that Geralt isn't just some grizzled bad-ass, but a SEXY grizzled bad-ass is probably thanks to the games. :)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostNiko, on 02 December 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

In particular, I think the fact that they seem aware that Geralt isn't just some grizzled bad-ass, but a SEXY grizzled bad-ass is probably thanks to the games. :)

Um.. no.  He's that guy in the books, for sure.  That said, Henry Cavill is a gamer, and played the games before reading the books.  SO - there's bound to be some influence.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:26 AM

View PostNiko, on 02 December 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

Yup, I'm on board big-time.  I haven't read the books, but do adore the character from the games.  I know the series is officially based on the books, but it's crazy to think there isn't going to be some inspiration from how the game presented the characters... so I'm curious to see how much overlap/divergence there ends up being.

I haven't read the books or played any games so, I'm going in fresh. lol  I don't normally notice blondes but, he makes the exception. :D

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:34 AM

View PostM.E., on 03 December 2019 - 01:26 AM, said:

I haven't read the books or played any games so, I'm going in fresh. lol  I don't normally notice blondes but, he makes the exception. :D

That's funny.  He's supposed to have WHITE hair, not blond.  But the wig looks blond to me as well.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:46 AM

:love: :clap: :inlove:

(Also - where is the thud emoji when you need it!)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:07 PM

First 3 episodes - I'm enjoying it a lot.  Henry Cavill is really great as Geralt so far, and I found it genuinely interesting to see Yennefer become Yennefer.  I read some criticisms of the jokes, but I have been enjoying the slight humor (I'm not a fan of Jaskier's songs, but I am appreciating him as a character - and he's very true to the books).  I am NOT loving the aggressive violence - I spent a lot of time covering my eyes.  But that's the only complaint I've had.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:36 PM

Wow.  Finished the whole season - WAY too short!  How could that be where the season ends?!  When they said renewed for Season 2 I didn't realize how much of a necessity that was!  I mean - they've barely told ANY story!  It was intriguing and risky the way they told the story - mirroring the books in that interlocking short story approach.  Some critics felt that the episodes didn't make any sense, and some fans reported not being able to make sense of the storyline until the later episodes.  From the standpoint of binge tv, that was a workable way to do the story - but if you broke up your viewing into more than 2 segments it might have been easy to get lost.

My verdict... LOVED IT!  Still covered my eyes for a lot of the violence and I think the first couple of episodes were a little challenging in terms of getting to know everyone and learning to care about who's who.  BUT honestly, sticking with it turned out to be worth it.  All of the principle actors are phenomenal.  Geralt is Shamelessly Gushworthy (yes...  I am actively thinking about a second watch just to do a Shamelessly Gushing review... anyone remember those?! LOL!), Yennefer still isn't my favorite character - she doesn't quite cut it appearancewise to me.  But... Anya Chalotra is handling the role brilliantly, and Ciri is not QUITE bratty enough for my tastes - but again, this Ciri is managing to be compelling just the same.

Jaskier (Dandelion in the books) is a fun character, but less so than I thought he'd be at first. I think my problem with him is that he seems way too modern for the world he's operating in.  And, I feel like that's an acting problem, so we'll see how it goes.  Still - I like him well enough to completely empathize with Geralt in telling him to buzz off.  That's a success for the character to inspire that sense!

Anyone else finished?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#13 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:57 PM

Almost, one more to go.  I am having a difficult time understanding it.  I have had to go back and re-watch a few things.  I found myself drifting and losing interest, quite often.

It certainly is not a "stand alone" show, I think it really expects people to be familiar with the characters and story line going in.

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

I've only watched the first episode so far. I loved it.

I've only read the first two books so far and haven't played much of The Witcher 3 (I'm a bad gamer) so my knowledge of the bigger mythos and story line are rather limited.

I was curious how they would handle the series since the first two books are just collections of short stories. I was afraid they would skip them all together. Instead it looks like they are doing time jumps to do the stand-alone stories while setting up the grander plot.

The episode did a good job of making me care for Queen Calanthe, King Eist, Mousesack, and even Lazlo. I was genuinely sad when they died (well, I don't think we saw Mousesack die) and I hated the Nilfgaard for storming the city and castle.

The production value was rather good, with the monster Geralt fights at the beginning well done and the battle between the two armies being suitably epic.

The actress playing Renfri did a great job. I always hated how that story ended because I felt like Renfri was the lesser of two evils.

Gratuitous nudity was gratuitous. Like, seriously, I don't think we needed a tower full of naked women. I'd be saying the same thing if it had been a tower full of naked men.

Henry Cavill is great as Geralt. I've always thought he was a good actor and think he plays an amazing Superman (even when he had to be a depressed sad sack in BvS) and he shows some good acting chops here. I did think that a few of his more growly line deliveries reminded me of the moment in Justice League when he picks up Batman and asks him "Do you bleed?"

I'm interested to see how the rest of the season plays out and what other stories they adapt.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#15 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

Just finished it, and loved it.
  • Casting and general worldbuilding was, overall, amazing in this.  Almost everyone who hit the screen felt like they had sort of a unique presence.  I know there was a lot of tizzy from "the usual suspects" on the internet about diversity in the casting being a bad thing (which it obviously isn't), but with that in mind, one thing that particularly struck me was how they had the diversity... but how well you could still feel the Eastern European fairy tale roots and how they were "upscaled" into a full fantasy world.
  • Cavill is great, except I hope they're doing some rejiggering of how heavily they push on that gravelly-voice part of the character.  I got used to it, mostly, but even by the end of the series, there were some scenes where I found it really distracting and like he was so focused on getting the voice right that the nuance of the acting got a bit lost.   I wouldn't want to lose it entirely, but just maybe dial it back a notch or two?
  • I absolutely LOVED the time-skippy antics here. I'm sure they thought about going with a more straightforward approach and using traditional flashback structure to fill in the history, but those can be so offputting.  This way, the earlier experiences got to have the same immediacy as the "present" storyline, and we got that always-cool effect of seeing the same sequence of events from a couple different POV's over the course of the season. (The realization that all the time that Ciri's been on the run, Geralt's been wanting to get to her (with Yennefer actively involved in the same war, too) is just pretty cool.)
  • That said, Ciri's story, on its own, was a bit wheel-spinny, at the end of the day.  They obviously had to keep her on the run long enough for the storyline to catch up with her, but I don't think it really let us get a feel for who she is (or who she can be) other than walloping us upside the head with how "special" and "important" she is. If I was a new viewer with no familiarity with the characters, I think I'd have slapped a "Mary Sue" label on her and watched her sequences with a lot of eye-rolling.  (Everyone else in Cintra is amazing though.  Absolutely loved Colanthe, and I ship her and her Skellige husband like whoa. :) )
  • Actually, one casting that I did a bit of a double-take on was Triss.  I totally missed that that was who she was supposed to be in the episode with the striga.  The actress seems fine... I just somewhat expected her to stand out a little more.  Does she get a bigger role as the books go on, or is her importance only from the games?
  • Kinda sad Geralt didn't get all the way to Kaer Morhen.  I got so excited at the prospect of meeting Vesimir.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Witcher, Netflix, Henry Cavill

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users