• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:08 PM

Just a few days before the election, the LA Times has run a story alleging more sexual harassment by Arnold Schwarzenetcetera.

Arnold Grope Gripes Resurface

While this doesn't surprise me, considering the culture that Arnold was a part of at the time these incidents took place (1975, 1980) (which doesn't excuse the behavior in the least) what I do find interesting is that the LA Times ran this now, a few days before the election. And that they say six women have come forward, but four of them refused to identify themselves.

Yeah, okay . . . so I've spoken to 200 women whom Gray Davis sexually harassed in 1974. They told me their stories only if I promised that I wouldn't reveal their names, but it's all true I tell you. 200 women! Honest! No, I can't give you any more specifics because I'd be violating their trust.

How convenient.

Edited by Drew, 02 October 2003 - 01:24 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:12 PM

Well do not forget 6,000 blind albanian women that Busta is accused of harassing. :rolleyes:
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:16 PM

Arnold has apologized:

http://www.reuters.c...storyID=3548846

"Yes, I have behaved badly some times, yes it is true that I was on rowdy movie sets ... and I have done things I thought were playful that now I recognize that I have offended people," Schwarzenegger told a rally in San Diego to kick off a four-day bus tour of the state.

"I want to say to them that I am deeply sorry about that, and I apologize because that is not what I was trying to do. When I am governor I will prove to women that I will be a champion for women. I hope you will give me the chance to prove this."

Secondly, Drew: A couple of your links lately have had an extra http:// in front of 'em; not sure why that is, but it makes the links unclickable....

I don't see this affecting his chances, frankly.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:24 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 2 2003, 01:16 PM, said:

Secondly, Drew: A couple of your links lately have had an extra http:// in front of 'em; not sure why that is, but it makes the links unclickable....
Weird!  :wacko:   My switch to Mozilla has put an end to the cloning issues I had with IE, but now it's messing up my linkability!

The Times said it interviewed the women over the last seven weeks during an investigation into whether Schwarzenegger harassed women. None of the women approached the newspaper on her own or has filed legal action against the actor.

:suspect:

Edited by Drew, 02 October 2003 - 01:26 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#5 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:28 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 2 2003, 01:16 PM, said:

I don't see this affecting his chances, frankly.
He was rising in the polls! He must be stopped! The LA Times will save Collyvornia from Ahnold!

#6 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:01 PM

Great, you can joke about it, but we will have to live with it.  He has not given any indication of HOW he will "save us."

Other than early in the campaign his advisor talked about repealing Prop 13 which would TRIPLE everyone's property taxes.  And they think the car license fees are bad!!!  Well as soon as he got flack for that he has not stated any plan or idea as to how to solve any problems.

Drew, I would RATHER have McClintock be governor of the state that AHnold!!!

Any day!!!!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#7 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:11 PM

GiGi, on Oct 2 2003, 01:01 PM, said:

He has not given any indication of HOW he will "save us."
He did, yesterday.

http://www.sacbee.co...p-8464219c.html

The whole groping thing - the paper SOUGHT these women out. Give me a friping break.  :angry:

kimmer

#8 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:21 PM

kimmer, on Oct 2 2003, 12:11 PM, said:

Oh yah, that is right.  I did read a version of that article.  I guess I was more focused on the fact that today and yesterday Arnold has essentially declared himself governor.  Gee thanks Arnold, you've saved me a trip to the polls!!

:sarcasm:  :glare:
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:29 PM

Well I am sure that Guy"Frugel" Davis and Busta"I'm not a WHITE racist"mantie would love for you to not vote. I mean they and the guys behind them would prefer that you do not take a vote the bastards out mindset. After all they fix the problems it just means higher taxes and more social spending.  Rather than just pay off the debt.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#10 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 02 October 2003 - 05:04 PM

Hmmm.

I'm probably walking into a lion's den here, but that hasn't stopped me before. ;)

I am curious about something...

I'm indifferent about Arnold-but IIRC, this guy became a millionare before he met Maria Shriver, through real estate.  Outside of luck, you have to be rather shrewd to be able to become a millionare this way. You've got to have some good business sense.

So, if nothing else, this tells me that Arnold is no dummy. Who would consider this a plus-and who wouldn't? Why or why not? I'd really like to hear your POVs.

Saul

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 05:16 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 2 2003, 11:16 AM, said:

Arnold has apologized:

http://www.reuters.c...storyID=3548846

"Yes, I have behaved badly some times, yes it is true that I was on rowdy movie sets ... and I have done things I thought were playful that now I recognize that I have offended people," Schwarzenegger told a rally in San Diego to kick off a four-day bus tour of the state.

"I want to say to them that I am deeply sorry about that, and I apologize because that is not what I was trying to do. When I am governor I will prove to women that I will be a champion for women. I hope you will give me the chance to prove this."
I'm so *thrilled* that he's sorry *now* that he acted like a jackass and groped up women.  :crazy:

This is not exactly a case of anybody digging up vague accusations or unfounded rumors, he did it and he's admitted it.

Edited by Rhea, 02 October 2003 - 05:19 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 06:26 PM

Hmmmmmm.

I oppose Ahnold for governer for lots of reasons but this isn't one of them.

So he's got a history of some less than stellar behavior toward women does he?

Does the word *Clinton* mean anything to anyone?

Lil
Posted Image

#13 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 06:28 PM

I'm with Lil. Were I in CA and I was to vote my conscience, it would be McClintock.

I oppose Arnold for a number of reasons; this, to me, is a non-starter.

*standard "I'm not a woman" disclaimer, just in case somebody feels like pointing out the obvious today*
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 06:32 PM

I can't vote McClintock either.

I don't remember the last time I was in such a quandry.

The idea of voting for Bustamante makes me sick because of his campaign contribution shennanigans.

But there are only three possible outcomes here:  Davis stays in (and yes I'll be voting no on the recall); Bustamante wins; or Ahnold wins.

Given those choices I have to go with the party.

This system really sucks.   :glare:  :glare:

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 02 October 2003 - 06:33 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:08 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 2 2003, 04:32 PM, said:

I don't remember the last time I was in such a quandry.

The idea of voting for Bustamante makes me sick because of his campaign contribution shennanigans.

But there are only three possible outcomes here:  Davis stays in (and yes I'll be voting no on the recall); Bustamante wins; or Ahnold wins.

This system really sucks.   :glare:  :glare:
That makes two us. GAH!
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#16 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:13 PM

^ Three of us!!!  :wacko:

#17 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:34 PM

I've had to say the same thing myself a few times... for Republican candidates, of course.  Sometimes, you just can't win.

Speaking of, I read somewhere that the Dems were disowning Busty because they want to circle the wagons around Davis.  If that's true, then the battle is Davis vs. Ahnold.  On the other hand, it won't keep those who vote for Davis by voting "No" from voting "Yes" for Buster.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#18 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 10:45 PM

He was rising in the polls! He must be stopped! The LA Times will save Collyvornia from Ahnold!

Hey, Drew, McClintock is Republican, possibly more of a Republican than Ah-nold is. He may not be very charismatic, but I've listened to the guy talk a few times, and he's sensible. (Unlike Ah-nold, he actually had the guts to speak on the Savage Nation with Michael Savage, more than once, and remained sensible while doing so; his surviving the experience gives him points with me right there. ;) ) He's also not an actor thinking that he can learn a new trade (politics) at the expense of a state in grim enough condition that it needs someone who knows what s/he's doing, not someone who wants a new learning experience.

I can... call it my exercising the right to dissent. ;)

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" comes to mind. :crazy: If staying with the party means that Bustamante wins, nope, not doing it...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users