• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

Avast recently bought Piriform, the creators of CCCleaner, and sent out FORCED updates that changed various settings and behaviors and enabled data collection even if you didn't enable updates.

Old versions are also unsafe. They are magically auto-updated, too.

I'd go so far as recommending uninstalling it. Why have a program on your system that you can't trust?

More details here.

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Incidentally, this is also a widespread problem with apps, especially in Android: "good" companies with honest intentions and solid products get bought by predatory companies who immediately turn the product evil by silently extending permissions, abusing the limits of those permissions, and changing their terms of service without notice.

It's easy to see why a good developer may want to sell an existing product line: maintaining a software suite through countless OS updates and new devices is often as arduous as writing it in the first place (or worse). You aren't getting much additional revenue from your steadily ballooning installed user base, but the demands keep growing -- and you don't want to change your revenue model, because that's unfair to your existing customers.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,656 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:34 PM

Damn, I love CCleaner. What kind of data are they insidiously collecting?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users