Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Ancient Astronaut theorists say "yes: . . .

ancient astronauts ancient astronaut theorists

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:05 PM

A bunch of friends and I regularly gather together to watch that awful show featuring ancient astronauts theorists and other kooks. We make popcorn and drink tea and coffee, and razz the content and the regulars that populate the freak show.

A great time is had by all.

The "theories" are often groan-out-loud stupid, which makes the show an easy target for our gaggle of wits and wags, some of whom are really funny.

This is my first experience watching something for its Ed Wood value.

The kooky stuff about Area 51 is surreal, as there's no real secrecy about it. Area 51 is simply the Nevada test and training range, and is used as an open training range by the US Air Force. While you can't legally enter the facility, the air space over it isn't restricted.

As to all this "reverse-engineering" nonsense (reverse engineering UFO's in order to get at their technology), if the air force really was in possession of highly advanced technology, trying to reverse-engineer that technology would be like a chimpanzee trying to reverse-engineer a cell phone. Technology evolves in steps, and when the gap (then and now) becomes great enough, hundreds, perhaps thousands of steps in development would render the task of reverse-engineering an exercise in futility.

And so it goes.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,075 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

I love that Ancient Astronaut stuff. I've been a fan since my Uncle Dave latched on to a copy of Chariots of the Gods? when it first came out. He believed it all unequivocally, along with Flying Saucers, ghosts, demonic possession, Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster, and all that National Enquirer stuff. I just loved it because it was like Creature Double Feature on Channel 56. It amazes me that this "theory" is still believed by so many today-- and dismays me that it's broadcast on the History Channel (even though that is a pretty entertaining show).
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,951 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:05 PM

In my childhood, I was a fan of the ancient-astronaut BS, before I knew any better. Of course I gave it up when I learned real science, but in recent years I've discovered that the problems with it run far, far deeper than its fundamental unscientific stupidity.

What tends to get glossed over is that Erich von Daniken's ancient-astronaut "theories" were rooted in blatant racism and white supremacism. He basically plagiarized his ideas from a pair of French theorists who were inspired by Nazism and the occult, and he believed ancient non-European cultures could never have achieved great things on their own and thus must have needed pasty white aliens to show them how. He believed black people were akin to apes and that "the European race" was created by aliens as a successful third draft after their "failure" with the "black and yellow races." The whole thing is just 19th-century eugenicism, the same ideology that drove the Nazis, with space aliens tacked on.

https://badarchaeolo...aeology-racist/

http://www.jasoncola...ich-von-daniken

https://www.splcente...ers-racist-kind

https://drmsh.com/ch...ch-von-daniken/

So this is anything but harmless fun. I mean, the general UFO stuff and cryptids and such are relatively harmless aside from the danger that anyone would take them seriously. But a lot of the ancient-astronaut and pseudoscience alt-history programming that airs regularly on the so-called History Channel is thinly veiled white-supremacist ideology that's widely embraced by the modern "Alt-Right."
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:11 PM

This channel always has the same type of title, hard to tell their docs apart.
This is the one that addresses the subterfuge used to keep humans in the dark mostly since the 40's and how the ET are planning on coming out of the closet.

It could be called a conspiracy channel? Take a look and decide for yourself.

This is the South American part of the series of planetary exploration into the new and old archaeology digs.
It's the footage you need to see, because it's not doctored and the academics are exposed as grant keeping double dealers.
Africa will blow your minds.

I have no doubt that this planet has been mined for its copper and gold from the days before Ceres blew up, trashed Mars and rained down on the ancient civilizations causing them to flee for a few thousand years.
I do have my doubts since in my present form I don't have access to the library that the ET do and if they are anything like us, they lie.

Yes there are aliens entering and leaving through portholes as well as living on the moon.
Seems they have set up light defection systems so even our strongest telescopes are useless.
Like to hear about what China is finding on the far side recently. Might go see if I can find some feeds with footage but this whole Iraq deal is keeping it hush hush. I wonder why?

Hitler and his band of merry purist where lead on by one of the different factions that war over this planet.
They love to use us to do their dirty work. The 99% being easily programmed to fight for the rich are perfect cannon fodder.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:06 PM

I'm a fan of the whole UFO/astronaut/conspiracy scene, as I find that it makes for a good source of public-domain modern-day mythology that I can steal for my own writing.

Christopher, on 07 January 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

What tends to get glossed over is that Erich von Daniken's ancient-astronaut "theories" were rooted in blatant racism and white supremacism. He basically plagiarized his ideas from a pair of French theorists who were inspired by Nazism and the occult, and he believed ancient non-European cultures could never have achieved great things on their own and thus must have needed pasty white aliens to show them how. He believed black people were akin to apes and that "the European race" was created by aliens as a successful third draft after their "failure" with the "black and yellow races." The whole thing is just 19th-century eugenicism, the same ideology that drove the Nazis, with space aliens tacked on.
That's definitely true of the originator, but at least some of the modern ancient-astronaut stuff (as popularized by Tsoukalos) is based around actually talking to non-European cultures and contextualizing their folklore with as much consideration as we give to the beliefs of the Old British Men who "discovered" those cultures.

Basically, if a group of people say themselves that their ancestors came from the sky, then maybe we should at least consider that their ancestors came from the sky.

At the very least, it's no stranger than the Judeo-Christian imagery that the Western World is pretty heavily built on.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,951 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

Cybersnark, on 13 January 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

That's definitely true of the originator, but at least some of the modern ancient-astronaut stuff (as popularized by Tsoukalos) is based around actually talking to non-European cultures and contextualizing their folklore with as much consideration as we give to the beliefs of the Old British Men who "discovered" those cultures.

Basically, if a group of people say themselves that their ancestors came from the sky, then maybe we should at least consider that their ancestors came from the sky.

We can consider that as a myth with cultural significance, but it's ethnocentric in itself to assume that the meaning of those myths to those cultures correlates to our culture's modern interest in outer space and alien life, or that they intend their myths to be coldly literal rather than allegorical. It's always dangerous to try to impose your own assumptions and preconceptions onto a different or historic culture, to assume that they're defining their terms the same way you would.

Plus, of course, the genetic evidence proves overwhelmingly that we're native to this planet's biosphere and have the vast majority of our DNA in common with its other species. Heck, any rational person just has to look at chimps and gorillas to see that we're their closest relatives. That's why the only "we were seeded by aliens" premise in sci-fi that I don't find utterly idiotic is "The Chase" in Star Trek: The Next Generation, because at least that posited that it was all life on Earth that was seeded 4 billion years ago, rather than just humans placed here more recently.

I sometimes wonder about tardigrades, though. They could probably survive panspermic propagation through space, and they do seem pretty alien. Although their genomes have been sequenced and they are based on the same kind of DNA code as Earthly life in general, as well as having a small amount of genes acquired from other species through horizontal transfer. Then again, if panspermia is real, maybe we would find the same DNA coding used on multiple worlds, because they were all seeded from a common origin (not from spacemen in flying saucers, but just from vacuum-resistant microbes being launched into space by asteroid impacts or accelerated out of the upper atmosphere by stellar winds).

Edited by Christopher, 13 January 2020 - 12:30 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#7 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:59 PM

This is jumping into the "Where did the Neanderthals go? question.

If we can go CRISPR why is it not possible that other more advanced societies could not mess with the Neanderthal's genome to make humans to do their grunt work?

Plenty of cuneiform tablets suggest just that.

It is quite possible on Goldilocks planets that have the same basic elements, could produce microbes to mirror ours. They are rather simple in their structures.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#8 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

D.Rabbit, on 17 January 2020 - 10:59 PM, said:

This is jumping into the "Where did the Neanderthals go? question.

If we can go CRISPR why is it not possible that other more advanced societies could not mess with the Neanderthal's genome to make humans to do their grunt work?

Plenty of cuneiform tablets suggest just that.

It is quite possible on Goldilocks planets that have the same basic elements, could produce microbes to mirror ours. They are rather simple in their structures.

That's one of the myths all too many cosmologists and astronomers are latching on to these days- that certain available elements = universal life as we know it.

The truth is, it doesn't work that way. You can't just look at DNA, because early pre-life didn't have it. Life as we would recognise it was a late-comer, and went through many, many steps before it arrived at anything a non-scientist would find recognisable.

You have to remember, first and foremost, that arriving at life as we know it involves something like stacking the Encyclopaedia Britannica on end, separating the pages so you have one tall stack, play 52 pick up, then reassemble the stack randomly so that you can only recreate the original by chance.

Remember, Life only happened once, on this planet, and is here only because of billions of lucky coin tosses and happy accidents that happened in a certain sequence. No Snowball Earth? No Life as we know it. No comet strike at a certain exact moment? No Life as we know it. No Moon? No Life as we know it. No repeated extinctions? No Life as we know it. No extreme initial conditions that formed the pre-elements out of which Life would evolve? No Life as we know it. And on and on and on ad nauseam

Where did the Neanderthals go? They may be gone as a species, but their genes life on in modern Homo Saps. When decoding their genome, various living people were found to be living in the same areas as their Neanderthal forebears.

. https://www.scienced...60328133514.htm

https://www.sciencem...nderthal-legacy

I know Neanderthals still exist. Some of them are politicians.

I'm beginning to think that this UFO and related business is a type of religion. Like religion, it's all talk, no evidence. And like religion, it's something it's followers say they "believe in".

#9 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

Just heard that nonsense about "organic compounds" again re one of Saturn's moons, the one with an underground ocean, and vents that spew water with salt in it.

They need to redefine meaning of "organic compounds". It won't do if it's not poo. Or some other thing produced by living things.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users