Doctor Who: Orphan 55

Doctor Who

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

The Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) and her companions, Graham (Bradley Walsh), Yasmin (Mandip Gill) and Ryan (Tosin Cole) have had a harrowing few weeks – saving the world from another alien invasion, surviving almost certain death in a crashing plane and meeting the Doctor’s Time Lord foe – The Master (Sasha Dhawan).  After all this excitement, the Doctor decides everyone needs a rest and takes the fam on holiday.

But we all know how the Doctor’s holiday go and the fam finds themselves on yet another planet where the residents have numerous secrets while they are under attack from monsters.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:28 AM

An okay episode.

It had its moments, but somehow just didn't excite me.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,075 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

Well, that bore an unfortunate resemblance to an Asylum movie.

Even the direction was amazingly clumsy.  Confrontations with the generic monsters seemed to consist of alternating close ups of the monsters and the people, as if they were not capable of having both in the same shot.  Maybe the monsters weren't available to be on the set the same day as the humans.  :lol:

Being chased around was pretty much the sum total of the plot. And the moral of the story is that global warming will cause humans to take a bad evolutionary turn, so act now.

And what's with all the telepathy this season? Last week we had a couple of mind wipes of historical characters and this week a mind meld with a monster. Did the Doctor always have mental powers and I just forgot?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,951 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 17 January 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:

Did the Doctor always have mental powers and I just forgot?

Pretty much, yeah. Telepathy was established as something the Doctor was capable of at least as far back as the Second Doctor's era, though his granddaughter Susan was established as sensitive to telepathic contact way back in the first season's "The Sensorites." The Doctor has often used telepathy in various ways; by the Tenth Doctor's era it was being portrayed almost exactly like the Vulcan mind meld, complete with hands on the temples. The TARDIS was established to have telepathic circuits by the Third Doctor's era, and the new series established that the TARDIS was telepathically responsible for giving companions the ability to understand any language (after the Fourth Doctor once hinted at it by telling Sarah Jane that it was "a Time Lord's gift I allow you to share").
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 17 January 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:

Confrontations with the generic monsters seemed to consist of alternating close ups of the monsters and the people, as if they were not capable of having both in the same shot.  Maybe the monsters weren't available to be on the set the same day as the humans.
There may not have been more than one "hero" monster suit at all; it looked expensive, and the crowd scene where we get a good look at a whole group was clearly digitally composited (I've seen enough student films use that exact same trick to "clone" people).
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,075 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

Actually, I assumed it was all digital monsters.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users