Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

STAR TREK: PICARD - S1, E2: "Maps and Legends"...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:12 AM

Picard begins investigating the mystery of Dahj as well as what her very existence means to the Federation. Without Starfleet's support, Picard is left leaning on others for help, including Dr. Agnes Jurati and an estranged former colleague, Raffi Musiker. Meanwhile, hidden enemies are also interested in where Picard's search for the truth about Dahj will lead.

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,638 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

I think they are making a mistake letting the audience get this far ahead of Picard as far as what the Romulans are up to. I still find the central story intriguing but they are, as I feared, throwing in everything but the kitchen sink.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:37 PM

The second episode was not as, ahem, engaging as the first, but it was still pretty good.  There were a couple of moments where they almost seemed to poke fun at the idea the kind of sequel most TNG fans actually want to see. First, Picard goes to this year's token crabby Admiral and requests to be reinstated and given a ship-- and is promptly accused of f*ck*ng hubris and sent packing. Then later, one of his Romulan caretakers suggests that he contact members of his old Enterprise crew and he soundly rejects that notion on the grounds that they would be loyal and want to help. Okay.  Personally, I would have preferred that scenario, but this is the scenario we got and so far it's doing okay.

This is also the second episode in a row with some Earl Grey genuflection.

Moving the story along, Picard and his other Romulan caretaker visit Dhaj's apartment to investigate the scene of the crime-- shades of Dixon Hill-- only to find that it has been scrubbed of all evidence. Not quite all, because Picard's caretakers are former Tal Shiar, so she's able to find something.  This leads to the revelation that the Tal Shiar is just the front for a far older and far darker shadow group that nobody knows about except to the extent that they can drop vague hints about their sinister purpose.  Yeah, that does sound boring. Especially since their sinister purpose seems to be exclusively to destroy all artificial intelligence for no apparent reason. And seeing as how Picard's ex-Tal Shiar caretakers know about this, I think we can be pretty much guaranteed that at least one of them will turn out to be a sleeper agent for this shadow group and be shockingly activated around episode eight.

It was also implied that it was this shadow group that took control of the synths and made them destroy Utopia Planitia and set Mars ablaze.  Writing that sentence makes me wonder if it was a deliberate move by the writers to destroy something named Utopia. Anyway, those synths were pretty low-rent androids, nowhere near Data level.  Even Alexa has a better sense of humor than those guys.

The scene between Picard and Admiral Crabby was pretty interesting, because they discussed the Federation pullback of aid to Romulus.  Apparently fourteen Federation member worlds threatened to secede from the union if aid was given.  So the situation is not so simplistic as it first appeared-- apparently not all member worlds are as on board with Federation values as others, and internal politics can be a bit fraught. I'm guessing these troublesome worlds have names like Texas Centauri and Gamma Alabama.

And, hey, we have a Commodore for the first time in ages.  I always loved Commodores. That would have been my preferred rank if I was in Starfleet.  Too bad this one is a Romulan mole.

Anyway, instead of gathering up his old beloved crew from the Enterprise, Picard has begun to gather up some less-beloved acquaintances from the untold years between then and now, which we will probably learn more about starting next week.  He has been medically approved to return to space, however there was a mention of his Irumodic Syndrome, and I have a bad feeling that that's more foreshadowing than a nod to continuity.  In any case, the hunt for Bruce Maddox has begun.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,169 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

Man, do we really need an auto-censor?  :laughtears:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,996 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

I stil find it odd that the name of Picard's new first officer, Raffi Musiker, is “Riker” with “affi Mus” in the middle. Who’s his new ops officer? Dan Minetta? Plus security chief Wilma Hendorf, Doctor Craig Usher, and Counselor Tricia Aoi.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:38 AM

View PostCardie, on 30 January 2020 - 08:19 PM, said:

I think they are making a mistake letting the audience get this far ahead of Picard as far as what the Romulans are up to. I still find the central story intriguing but they are, as I feared, throwing in everything but the kitchen sink.

I'd like to think that the writers have at least a couple of big twists, where the audience learns that their assumptions were wrong. It might make them identify better with Picard's dilemmas.

Then again, I don't like being led down a primrose path gratuitously

View PostRJDiogenes, on 30 January 2020 - 08:37 PM, said:

Apparently fourteen Federation member worlds threatened to secede from the union if aid was given.

Actually, she said 14 Federation members threatened to secede "even before...". Maybe she only meant literally "before the attack", but it's an interesting  possibility that she may have meant "even before the Romulan supernova situation". It's certainly not unthinkable. The Romulans aren't the friendliest of empires -- or maybe those planets wanted to leave to JOIN the Romulans. Am I being too Cold War here?

{EDITED TO ADD: I just checked the video. Your interpretation seems correct. I was overthinking it]

View PostChristopher, on 30 January 2020 - 09:24 PM, said:

I stil find it odd that the name of Picard's new first officer, Raffi Musiker, is “Riker” with “affi Mus” in the middle. Who’s his new ops officer? Dan Minetta? Plus security chief Wilma Hendorf, Doctor Craig Usher, and Counselor Tricia Aoi.

You'd have found it odder, if you'd had small children in the 80s/90s.
"Musiker" is German for "musician", and Raffi the musician was the top English language children's song artist in the world for at least a generation.

Some of us parents still twitch when we hear "Baby Beluga"

Edited by Orpheus, 05 February 2020 - 01:46 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users