• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

I wuz shovelling snoo out of the driveway a few days ago, after yet another dump, when I feels this unearthly vibration through the ground.

I looks ups, and around, and around, and around . . .

The vibration gets more pronounced, and accompanied by the sound of timbers rending, wood ripping, tearing, and snapping . . .

I happen to look North, and there goes the old curling rink, like a sinking ship is a final blow of spume . . . snoo in this case . . .

One week to the day after we lost old Joe Wilson.

Reminded me of my grandparents leaving 252 E 3rd Street in North Vancouver. We drove by the next say, only to see that the old rose book on the right side of the house had fallen down, as though the house itself had died.

The snow was deep, the wood was rotten, nothing lasts forever.

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:18 PM

Shame on  your local curling club for not setting funds aside for clearing the roof.
I suspect it's insured.

I was getting worried about one of my out building's roof.  I might have taken the garage floor sweeper to it if it had not melted down more.
Not that I wanted to stand knee deep and pull more snow on top of me.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

Damn, that's poetic.

But I guess the young'uns aren't yet ready to see why.

That's fine. They have their role. We have ours.

#4 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

I often wonder if ours is to become our grandparents. I think of mine more and more often as I grow creaky and grey.

Mostly creaky.

Ah, yes, the young 'uns . . . the mere suggestion of taking away personal motor vehicles, all plastics, and paved roads, for the good of the planet, leaves 'em dumbfounded and po faced.

#5 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

Not my young'un. He wants what I want, Tesla's AC current and free energy. No problem with personal vehicles if they are electric.

The war on plastic is ramping up. Just watched a video on young people removing the packaging from their produce to transfer them into container's brought from home, like the good old days. They filled up two grocery trolleys with plastic and foam (some what fluffed up).

We now have ocean plastic gathering barges out in the Pacific with more on the way. Other garbage removal system in the hot spots of the Orient. All being promoted by the young'uns.

We have been trying to get to what they are starting to accomplish, it has been the tutelage of forward thinkers that has spurred them.

We need those paved roads, ever try to transport produce on dirt roads? Your vehicles fall apart, your produced bruised.
I would prefer trains over trucks but for some areas it is not feasibly.

Don't dis the young'uns they are working towards saving life on planet earth.

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

By rights the plastic should all be dumped on the doorstep of those that produce/use it. "Here, you made this mess."

#7 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:14 PM

No dumping unless they pay for delivery.
It's a valuable commodity that can be reformed into any shape you need. Except rare earth minerals.

I want to see all the electric cars built with plastic bodies. The older vehicles with plastic bodies still look great but their metal parts have rusted out.  They discontinued them because they last too long and are not good for business in a world where planned obsolescence rules.

They can be churned into new products once they are obsolete.
Now we melt down our metals and produce can openers that bend in half on the first use.

Plastic is a wonderful product, it's the lack of recycling centers and the oil companies wanting to sell us new, that is our problem.

#8 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

The problem with plastics is the people that buy them and toss them away. That is why our oceans are full of garbage.

#9 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:17 AM

My road has improved in the last 20 years, litter wise.
After a long weekend I needed a wheel barrow to clear up the littler in front of my two lots.
I only clean up now when some slacker tosses quantity and it encourages more to join it. Once or twice a year.

That seems to be what is happens. See some, toss some more. Laws against littering are not enforced.

I caught one of my clients tossing trash out the car and I jumped on him saying how would you like it if I walked into your room and emptied my garbage on your floor?  There is not enough emphasis in the society that the planet earth is our home and to keep it clean.

New trick to keep bus shelters clean. They put up a poster with big eyes on them. They don't say anything but the subconscious thinks someone is watching them and those bus shelters are the cleanest.

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

The older I get, the lower my esteem for our much-touted human intelligence.

As proof, one has only to watch an episode of Fail Army.

#11 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:05 PM

Fail Army looks like alcohol and drugs had a lot to do with it.

I did not care for "America's Funnest Videos" either.

We are humans with a different center of gravity to most of the creatures on earth, there is bound to be a lot of awkward moments.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users