Batwoman CW DC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image

TWO'S A CROWD - As Kate (Ruby Rose) is pulled between two sisters, Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Mary (Nicole Kang) are tasked with finding the cause behind Beth's debilitating headaches. A visitor delivers some good news to Jacob (Dougray Scott), while Sophie (Meagan Tandy) takes her new role to the extreme and Alice (Rachel Skarsten) makes a devastating discovery.

Read more: Listings - BATWOMAN on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz6EEmpIaAB

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:22 PM

That was disappointingly predictable.

There could be only one, and, of course, it would prove to be Alice.  The moment Sophie issued her "shoot on sight" orders, there was no hope for Beth.  I wonder if Kate will inform her that it was the good twin who was gunned down by her goons, allowing the evil one to survive and continue her rampage of terror.

And so the status quo ante is mostly restored, and the presumed dead psycho-dad rurns up alive and well and ready to torment his kid again.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 17 February 2020 - 08:24 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,064 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

View PostG-man, on 17 February 2020 - 08:22 PM, said:

That was disappointingly predictable.

There could be only one, and, of course, it would prove to be Alice.  The moment Sophie issued her "shoot on sight" orders, there was no hope for Beth.  I wonder if Kate will inform her that it was the good twin who was gunned down by her goons, allowing the evil one to survive and continue her rampage of terror.

Huh? It wasn't the Crows who shot Beth, it was Dr. Cartwright, Mouse's abusive father who's been going around disguised as Dr. Campbell (Sebastian Roche). Sophie was about to shoot Beth but chose not to, and then Cartwright sniped her from a rooftop.

I liked the episode. It was effective at delving deep into the drama and emotion of Kate and Beth/Alice's history and Kate's guilt at failing to save Beth. These writers really know how to wrench the characters emotionally and hit them where it hurts the most. The outcome was predictable, yes, but I was surprised at the way they went in leading up to it -- that Kate actually did have to make the choice, that she chose Beth over Alice and came to be with Alice at the end. That was pretty wrenching; a lesser story would've killed off Beth before Kate had to make that choice either way. And while I could predict what was sure to happen to Beth, they kept me guessing about who would be responsible for her death. It might've been a bolder choice to have Sophie actually pull the trigger, but I'm glad she turned out better than that.

I still have major questions about the concept behind it, though. Why is it only Beth and Alice suffering multiversal rejection and not the doubles we saw on Supergirl? Or did one of the copies of Al the bartender die offscreen between episodes? And why would the universe be satisfied merely by the death of one of the copies? Dead or alive, the matter that makes up their bodies is still there, and would still be there even if you totally vaporized one of the bodies (it would just be in the form of vapor then).

It also seemed odd that the idea of explaining the Crisis to people would be a bad idea when Arrow showed that it was publicly discussed in the documentary about Oliver's life and death. But then, the finale said that the documentary came out at least a month after Crisis, and these episodes seem earlier than that.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Batwoman, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users