• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,839 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

Trek is chock-full of imitations that "replicated too perfectly" from many episodes in TOS (e.g. Losira in "That Which Survives" 1969) to the Ilia-probe in ST:TMP (1979) and onwards to today. It's a major theme, along with "infiltrating imposters" and "infections that save us from aliens" (both suitable for later games)

Help me out by listing as many examples from Trek (or other franchises) of this meme. I think I could eventually hit a dozen in Trek alone, but with your help, i wouldn't be surprised if we hit two dozen.

Where will this lead? If it creates nothing more than an enduring SF drinking game, it'd be worth it, but I suspect it could lead to something more.

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

As you said, there's a lot of examples in STAR TREK, particularly TOS.  Here are some from other franchises...

STARGATE SG-1 and ATLANTIS... the human form Replicators.  In particular, Fifth from SG-1, as he reproduced human emotions perfectly enough to become enamored with Carter and then malevolent and obsessive.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2003)... the human form Cylons.  They created human emotions too perfectly.  It cost billions their lives.

AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. - AIDA, and also the virtual world they were stuck in during the back half of season 4.

THE MATRIX - I think this one is self-explanatory.

SUPERNATURAL - heaven.  Basically, heaven is living your life's greatest hits.  Each person is in their own personal jukebox of memories, going over and over again.  The details and memories are recreated perfectly... too perfectly for some.

There's more, but I think that can be a good start.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users