Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

STAR TREK: PICARD - S1, E7, "Nepenthe"...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:12 AM

Now, can anyone tell me why Jonathan Frakes was in the beginning credits, but Marina Sirtis was in the end credits??

He's got a better agent? Credits are always matters of complex negotiations. Frakes also got billed before the "also starring" regulars on TNG.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#22 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,136 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 06:25 AM

View PostCardie, on 07 March 2020 - 01:12 AM, said:

Frakes also got billed before the "also starring" regulars on TNG.

That was because Stewart and Frakes were conceived as the co-leads, before it evolved into the Picard/Data/Worf show. So they got first and second billing, and everyone else was credited in alphabetical order. In the next three series, only the lead actor got first billing and everyone else was alphabetical.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#23 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 02:23 AM

Did Soji minor in early 2D video -- or maybe belong to the University Film Club?

When she saw the Troi-Riker home on Nepenthe (a house used in a Naked Gun film), she asked "Who are these people?"

I bet she was thinking: "I don't think we're in 'The Final Frontier' anymore, Toto! This is 'The Final Insult'!" [1]

[1] The film's full title was "The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult". Sorry. Couldn't resist. You wouldn't want to send relief supplies to my brain, much less live there.

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

This Week's Special Guest Victim:  Jonathan del Arco!
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#25 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:32 PM

The star of "Hugh's Eye Is This, Anyway"? -- Wow, I LOVED that show!

#26 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

And who can forget him in Hugh Bet Your Life-- And Lost.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#27 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:06 AM

Or his leading role in the spy thriller "HUGH ONLY LIVE TWICE"...

#28 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:37 AM

If I could find that on any of my sources, I'd watch it!

#29 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:06 PM

^^  It's on HughTube.

#30 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:22 AM

^ This post is why this board exists.

#31 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

View PostCardie, on 06 March 2020 - 01:16 AM, said:

RJ, I don't think the 21st century vogue for darkness and killing off recurring character is down to "kids." The generation that reached prime writer authority age at the turn of the millennium was Gen X. Millennials consume their output but the cynical, the world we inherited is going to hell after Boomers ravaged it attitude is a very Gen X thing.

I'm GenX and I find it exhausting that reality can only look dark and awful. I am so over it!

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#32 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:31 PM

I wonder if the Coronapocalypse will finally tire people out enough to seek some more humanistic entertainment.

#33 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:48 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 18 March 2020 - 04:30 PM, said:

I'm GenX and I find it exhausting that reality can only look dark and awful. I am so over it!

You're lucky I'm Gen �

Great. None of the default fonts display Ancient Phoenician even in Unicode.

#34 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

That would be Ancient Cultural Appropriation.

#35 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:34 PM

Is this your way of telling me I shouldn't pretend to be one of those cool new Ancient Phoenicians, because I'll only make a fool of myself?

#36 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

There will be backlash.  And outrage.  Probably both.

#37 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:35 PM

I was recently reminded of the plant genus Nepenthes -- passive, insect-eating plants, much like the pitcher plant.

As they grow, their immature "pitchers" have a rather evocative shape [NSFW}. Yes I know it's just a plant but I think it warrants a NSFW anyway.

I'm so glad I didn't remember that when I heard Picard say he was going to Nepenthe last episode. It would have been impossible not to read something into it [esp since we  knew Frakes was coming.  If nothing else, the name would suggest  the planet would be a trap.

#38 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:59 PM

I love that it had to be confirmed by Snopes.  :lol:

They should make the antagonists in season two Nepenthe aliens.  Now that they're on a streaming service, they can show us all the uncensored wonders of the universe.

#39 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:18 AM

You do realize that I must hate you now, right, RJD? (Okay, I could never do that. You just inspire inconvenient inspirations)

Many insightful thinkers, from Robert Heinlein in "Time Enough for Love" to the painter Georgia O'Keeffe, have noted the resemblance between certain orchids and the female genital labia.

If we posit Nepenthes (either the planet or the genus) as the villains in a universe where Coppelius (with giant orchids) are the innocent victims...

...well, that accords with a popular current archetype (one I ordinarily support), but ST:Picard shows Coppelius' initial innocence corrupted by Sutra's anger/fear into something dangerous.

But, if I had to, I'd call ST:Picard's Coppelius a "Paradise Lost" and Nepenthe a "Paradise Regained" (recovering from the tragic loss of Thaddeus Troi-Riker)--and I'd choose Nepenthe.

I was never any good at Gender Studies.

Edited by Orpheus, 07 May 2020 - 02:21 AM.
: Minor text refinements

#40 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 06:43 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 07 May 2020 - 02:18 AM, said:

You do realize that I must hate you now, right, RJD? (Okay, I could never do that. You just inspire inconvenient inspirations)  
Inconvenient Inspirations.  Another contender for title of my autobiography.

If we posit Nepenthes (either the planet or the genus) as the villains in a universe where Coppelius (with giant orchids) are the innocent victims...  
Well, if they're going to leap up into space and drag them forcibly back down, I'd hardly call them innocent.  :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users