• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

AT WHAT COST - Batwoman (Ruby Rose) and Luke (Camrus Johnson) are on the trail of a villain targeting social media mavens. Sophie (Meagan Tandy) gets an unexpected visit from her mother, and Mary (Nicole Kang) offers her expertise to assist Kate. Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) is approached to make good on a favor, while Alice (Rachel Skarsten) focuses on her plans for retribution.

Read more: Listings - BATWOMAN on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz6GDgEcYrW

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:39 AM

Ye-e-eah.  I wasn’t feeling this one.

We got some more on the Sophie front, but I’m not really interested in her, nor her dilemmas.  And her team-up with Batwoman had a very high-school romance vibe to it, which when coupled with her coming out to her mother, left something to be desired.

Daddy Kane now is FINALLY discovering that the Crows may not be nearly as virtuous as he would desire, and that the very person he drove away “for disloyalty” might well be the only one he can trust.  Which leads to the question about who was administering the Crows, and why did they keep their Commander in the dark.  In short, Joshua Kane continues to disappoint as well.

Then, despite Mary’s dropping hints, Kate is determined not to let Mary into the Batcave, despite the help that she can provide.  This made me sad :(

There is the whole slasher-chick whose pursuit of those who benefited from Psycho-Dad’s procedures to be successful because she was forcibly subjected to his treatment fell flat with me.

Finally, Alice has caught up with Psycho-Dad and must play his little games if she’s to get Mouse back.  The only satisfaction from this plot-line was Psycho-Dad’s genuine astonishment that Alice is still alive.  But I have to wonder at the Wonderland Gang’s motivation for sticking around while Alice may be unravelling.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,063 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:00 PM

View PostG-man, on 10 March 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

We got some more on the Sophie front, but I’m not really interested in her, nor her dilemmas.

I find her impossibly gorgeous, so I'm very interested in her (though I wouldn't have a chance, of course). And her dilemmas as a closeted lesbian wrestling with her identity and the damage its admission would do to her career and relationships make an interesting contrast to Kate's out-and-proudness, acknowledging that there's more than one way these things play out and that not everyone has Kate's privilege to protect her.

Then, despite Mary’s dropping hints, Kate is determined not to let Mary into the Batcave, despite the help that she can provide.  This made me sad :(

It makes sense in the context of Luke convincing Kate to push Sophie away so as not to put her in danger. She probably wants to keep Mary at a distance for the same reason, so as not to risk losing her. I hope Mary figures that out soon, that it's not a rejection of her worth or a lack of trust. Although I do hope it's not long before Kate relents and brings her into the figurative and literal Batcave.

But I have to wonder at the Wonderland Gang’s motivation for sticking around while Alice may be unravelling.

They probably don't want to bring down her wrath by betraying her. Besides, with modern season-arc storytelling and only one main supervillain per season, that rather limits the employment prospects for Gotham's fine henching professionals. It's not like back in the '60s where you could just change your t-shirt and themed headgear and start working for the newest villain-of-the-week, while waiting for one of the big henchperson employers like Joker or Catwoman to get paroled after 8-12 weeks of hard time.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

It makes sense in the context of Luke convincing Kate to push Sophie away so as not to put her in danger. She probably wants to keep Mary at a distance for the same reason, so as not to risk losing her. I hope Mary figures that out soon, that it's not a rejection of her worth or a lack of trust. Although I do hope it's not long before Kate relents and brings her into the figurative and literal Batcave.

Ye-e-eah, except that Kate has a history of pushing Mary away, and this is another instance of it, and given that Alice has already made the connection, keeping Mary out in the cold isn't doing her any favors.

Sophie, OTOH, is of questionable reliability, so keeping her at a distance actually makes sense.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 10 March 2020 - 12:16 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,063 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

^Sure, I understand why Mary feels hurt by it. I just don't think Kate intends it to be hurtful or to be a rejection of her. Sometimes you hurt someone by trying to be kind to them and getting it wrong.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:33 PM

^^^ Of course Kate doesn't intend it to be hurtful, but over the years she had gotten in the habit of pushing Mary away, and continues to do so.  That's what makes me sad.

And, unfortunately, any excuse that Kate might come up with is scuppered since Alice already knows her secret identity, and has already targeted Mary.  Thus keeping Mary in the cold only endangers her, it does not protect her ... especially when Batwoman keeps visiting her clinic.

Sorry.  The whole secret ID thing, I am frequently confounded by the writer's choice as to who needs to know on these shows.  And given that Mary is kind of the Felicity to Kate's Oliver, I really wish they'd bring her into the fold.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 11 March 2020 - 05:33 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,063 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:25 PM

View PostG-man, on 11 March 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

Sorry.  The whole secret ID thing, I am frequently confounded by the writer's choice as to who needs to know on these shows.  And given that Mary is kind of the Felicity to Kate's Oliver, I really wish they'd bring her into the fold.

I'm sure they will before much longer, but they need to milk the drama a little more first.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Batwoman, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users