• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

WHO CAN YOU TRUST? - Batwoman (Ruby Rose) enlists Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Julia (guest star Christina Wolfe) for an undercover mission to recover one of the most important items from her cousin's arsenal. While Alice (Rachel Skarsten) continues developing her devious plans within Arkham's walls, she gets an unexpected visit from Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) who needs her help. Meanwhile, Mary (Nicole Kang) tries to prove herself to Kate. As Sophie (Meagan Tandy) gets closer to a co-worker, Kate reunites with an old flame.

Read more: Listings - BATWOMAN on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz6LOiV9kIA

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,695 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:59 AM

This episode was really focused on Lucius Fox’s journal, and the race to acquire it by parties known and unknown.  Kate runs into Reagan (the bartender she had almost had a date with), Alice continues playing her mind games, Mary finally is accepted on Team Bat, and Bruce Wayne is outed as Batman.

As constructed, the episode actually worked with all the plotlines interweaving with each other even as they are developing Tommy Elliot, Magpie, Reagan, and Julia Pennyworth.  As such, it was bringing back the old opponents, plus a new gangster and organ harvester, and this time Batwoman does walk into a trap and Mary must go in and rescue her.

Now, one thing that they reminded us of is that Mary is heir to the vast Hamilton Fortune albeit, her role with the company her mother had run, has been left unexplored – leaving me to assume that she’s not in the company’s chain of command.  Albeit, this does raise the question of just how much of the Hamilton Fortune is tied up in the company, and just how much of it Mary has free access to.

While, I do appreciate that Mary is now on Team Bat (it's about time), I am less happy that Kate Kane got played ... hopefully this was just a momentary lapse in judgement and won't be repeated.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 05 May 2020 - 09:01 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:44 AM

G-man, on 05 May 2020 - 08:59 AM, said:

Now, one thing that they reminded us of is that Mary is heir to the vast Hamilton Fortune albeit, her role with the company her mother had run, has been left unexplored – leaving me to assume that she’s not in the company’s chain of command.  Albeit, this does raise the question of just how much of the Hamilton Fortune is tied up in the company, and just how much of it Mary has free access to.

Mary was also wearing a designer dress that costs over $900, so she has some money to toss around. (I looked it up because I recognized it and was trying to find out where I'd seen it before -- turned out it was worn by Poppy Drayton in a Charmed episode. In the course of finding that out, I happened to discover its origin and retail price as well.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,695 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

I did get a chuckle over Mary's first reaction to seeing the Batcave was to take a selfie.  A sure sign that there are some habits she needs to get rid of after joining Team Bat -- much like Kate not hooking up with a girl she likes before she has completed the mission :rolleyes:

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 05 May 2020 - 10:55 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,695 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:15 PM

However, with regards to Mary having the keys to the Hamilton Fortune, while I had no problem with her buying expensive dresses (I figured mom gave her an allowance to cover most of her expenses), it is quite something else to cough up $2.5 Million in cash at the drop of the hat.  Usually, those who have large amounts of cash on hand are operating outside the law, while those "legitimate business-persons" usually do not, hence my question.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

^ But Luke set her up with gadgets before her 'mission', so maybe it was Wayne money?

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,695 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:30 AM

Possibly.  Except that begs the same questions regarding the Wayne Fortune.  

Yeah, I'm over thinking a comic-book show, but Burn Notice, plus other shows and movies, actually showed the difficulties the rich have getting their hands on cash money to pay off an exorbitant ransom.  So when this show has our gang suddenly having $2.5 Million to pay the gangster I wonder how they got it.

Of course, given that they then blew it up, and the badguys didn't closely examine the loot ... maybe it was counterfeit.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#8 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:12 AM

I mean, this show does diverge from established mythology (no Robins/Batgirls), but having a few billion in fake-yet-convincing (and easily traceable) bills on-hand is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from crazy-prepared Bruce Wayne.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,100 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:44 AM

Cybersnark, on 08 May 2020 - 08:12 AM, said:

I mean, this show does diverge from established mythology (no Robins/Batgirls)

We don't know that. They haven't been mentioned yet, but I don't think anything rules out their existence. And years ago in Arrow, when Oliver gave Felicity the code name Overwatch, he said it was because Oracle was already taken. That suggests there may be a Barbara Gordon.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#10 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:03 AM

Man, I'd love to get some of the extended Bat-family represented in the CW-verse.  Stephanie Brown would be a fun addition.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Batwoman, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users