DCs Stargirl Stargirl Arrowverse CW TV

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:09 PM

Stargirl makes her debut on the CW, tonight at 8pm Eastern/7pm Central.

When Courtney's seemingly perfect life in Los Angeles gets upended with a move to Blue Valley, Nebraska with her mother Barbara, stepfather Pat, and stepbrother Mike, she finds herself struggling to adapt to her new town and high school.  But when Courtney discovers that Pat is harboring a major secret about his past, she ultimately becomes the unlikely inspiration for a new generation of superheroes.

This actually looks like fun, and from what little I can tell, it appears that they might be airing the whole series (or at least this season) on the CW.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 19 May 2020 - 12:11 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:15 PM

^^^ That is really strange.  The YouTube link works fine on my Kindle, but I can't seem to get it to work on my laptop.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,228 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

Unfortunately, the CW versions of the first two episodes will have about 10 minutes cut out to fit the time slot. I would assume the full versions are only available on DC Universe.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:09 PM

Sigh.

I'll take what I can get.

If someone could fill in what's missing during discussions, I'd certainly appreciate it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,119 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

View PostG-man, on 19 May 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  
Works on both for me.  Are you getting any error messages?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

Nope.  I just get a big blank space where the image/link is supposed to be.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:35 AM

I caught the episode last night, and, oh boy, do I have questions about this one:

According, the JSA was wiped out 10 years ago (2010) ending the “Golden Age of Heroes”.  How does this jibe with the pre- (or post) Crisis Arrowverse?  10 years just feels too recent, but if Courtney is the daughter of Starman, I guess they couldn't claim it occurred 20 years ago, and still have her be a high-schooler.  

When did Batwoman say Batman disappeared?  Was that also 10 years ago, or more recently?

And I confess a woeful unfamiliarity with the Injustice Society … the only name I recognized was Solomon Grundy; would someone please give me a rundown of the rest of the characters?

What was up with that constellation?  Was that the stars aligning for our girl?  Was it meant to portray a particular constellation?  If so, which one?  Or was it depicting the staff?

When did the staff become “alive” in the comics?  The last time I saw it was in the hands of Jack Knight (back in the ‘90s), and it was, as I recall, a relatively inanimate object of power to be wielded by the user.

Here we have the history of Starman initially beginning his career as the Star Spangled Kid, as aided by an older Stripesy (per the Golden Age comic rendition), then apparently he became Starman when he acquired the staff (which was Stargirl’s origin as presented in the comics).  It seems the series is amalgamating the two origins in their rendition.  But this amalgamation, as they try to rationalize it raises another question (which, to its credit, the show did raise):

If Courtney’s assertion is correct, and she is the daughter of Starman, this means that he had woo’d, married, and conceived her with her mother under a false name – all while keeping this part of his life secret from his long-time sidekick and partner.  Then Pat Dugan/Stripesy somehow meets and falls in love with his old partner’s wife, and marries her, becoming Courtney’s step-dad.  Yeah, I have to agree with Pat here, that is really stretching things … especially if Pat knew mom, and associated with her when Starman was still alive.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 20 May 2020 - 07:39 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,228 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:19 AM

View PostG-man, on 20 May 2020 - 07:35 AM, said:

I caught the episode last night, and, oh boy, do I have questions about this one:

According, the JSA was wiped out 10 years ago (2010) ending the “Golden Age of Heroes”.  How does this jibe with the pre- (or post) Crisis Arrowverse?

It's not in the Arrowverse. It was developed for a separate network, after all, so it wasn't meant to take place in the same universe as the CW shows. The closing montage of Crisis on Infinite Earths showed a brief preview clip establishing Stargirl as taking place on Earth-2 -- which seems to be the replacement for the pre-Crisis Earth-2 that was the first universe wiped out in CoIE, since it doesn't seem to have anything in common with that Earth-2. Although the name makes sense metatextually, because the show is heavily based on the pre-Crisis Earth-2 comics All-Star Squadron and Infinity Inc., both written by Roy Thomas in the '80s and reviving the continuity of the 1940s DC comics (in what had been retroactively labeled Earth-2), with Squadron telling Justice Society of America stories set in the '40s and overlapping with their original comics adventures, while Infinity Inc. featured the JSA's children becoming superheroes in the '80s.

And I confess a woeful unfamiliarity with the Injustice Society … the only name I recognized was Solomon Grundy; would someone please give me a rundown of the rest of the characters?

I'm not that familiar with them except from their appearances on the Young Justice animated series.The main villain here, Brainwave, is new to me, although he was a character in the Earth-2 comics I mentioned, an Injustice Society member whose son became a hero in Infinity Inc. The others are Wizard, a sorceror; Icicle, who's your basic ice-powered villain; and the husband-wife team of Sportsmaster and Tigress (who are the parents of Young Justice's Artemis Crock).

https://en.wikipedia...y#Original_team

Anyway, I was planning to subscribe to DC Universe anyway so I could finish my Patreon review series of the 1990 The Flash (my box set turned out to be defective and the second layers on the 2-layer discs won't play, and of course the libraries are closed), and things aligned just right that I was able to afford to do so starting now, so I was able to see the full, uncut episode. It's definitely more cinematic in its production values than the Arrowverse, but in a Spielbergian way that I'm not really crazy about. It's pretty hokey at times, and I wonder if the excessive friendliness of the Blue Valleyites masks some dark secret that explains what so many supervillains are doing there. (When Pat said he came there because he was "looking for something," it was clearly them he was seeking, based on the files and maps in that trunk, though I don't know if that part was included in the cut-down version.)

Initially it was hard to like Courtney, since she was so sullen and detached -- although she's really, really pretty, so that held my interest, at least. She got more appealing later on once she opened up some. I think she's pretty likeable. And I like the idea of a superheroine with a gymnastics-based style. (I wonder how Sportsmaster will react to that. Will he appreciate it, or resent it because sports-based fighting is his trademark?) I'm surprised they didn't get her in costume by the end of the first episode.

Edited by Christopher, 20 May 2020 - 10:25 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#9 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:03 AM

While I appreciate them making Courtney a gymnast, I question her flipping mount to stand on the Cosmic Staff … given that gymnasts do not often mount a balance beam that way, at least not without a springboard.  Then also I have to wonder that she’d attempt it with a mischievous staff floating way above her head, I really wish they had her mount it as she might the uneven bars, and ride it, working her way up to learning to standing on it (which really ought to be later in the season as her mastery of the staff develops).

I also was struck by the mention of "American Dream" as an employer in Blue Valley.  My impression is this is a front for the villains to keep control within town.

The friendliness of the inhabitants … considering the family looks like them, and at least one parent was raised there, I did not find that all too out of place, other than being a marked contrast to life within the big city.

Certainly the High School is just as fractured and hostile as in the big city.  I would’ve imagined that if the High School is serving only the town, that the student body would’ve been too small to have the usual big city fragmenting of the cafeteria.  Of course, my own experience in High School which had a student body of only 1500 is frequently at odds to the depictions I see in movies and on TV.

That aside, I do wish that they had devoted 2-hours for the debut of the series, where they opted to break the action just didn’t feel like a natural break.  Consequently, I had no issues with her not being in costume yet, if only because of the episode’s pacing.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 20 May 2020 - 12:25 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,228 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

It is surprising that they had the main villain see the hero's face right off the bat. Makes me wonder why she even bothers with the mask later on.

Facebook Author Page

#11 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:53 PM

Well, maybe the war between them is supposed to be secret, so the mask is to preserve her anonymity with the general public as opposed to the villain :unsure:

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:49 AM

Bumping this for tonight’s episode on the CW, at 8pm Eastern/7pm Central

After Courtney has an unexpected run-in with a member of the Injustice Society of America, Pat reveals the truth to her about their history. Meanwhile, Barbara is elated when she sees Courtney making an attempt to get along with Pat, not knowing the secret they've been keeping. Finally, things take a dangerous turn at Blue Valley High's open house night when Courtney becomes the target of a dangerous foe.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 26 May 2020 - 10:57 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:20 AM

:blink: :blink: gee, she’s certainly reckless.

OK, I get that she is this impulsive and willful 15 year old, but seriously, charging off to deal with a supervillain after having just acquired a costume and having yet to master the staff, that is recklessness to the nth degree, never mind that she’s putting her family in danger by her actions.  I guess this is to show that she is still immature, selfish, and has a lot to learn, but part of being the hero is always having a plan and considering others, and I’m not seeing that with her.  Hopefully, Stripesy will be more than simply her conscience, but will provide the element of wisdom and restraint that Stargirl desperately needs – if he can simply get her to slow down and listen to him.

Oh, I did like the montage of Pat testing his suit … he’s definitely no Tony Stark.

About “Crusher” … I’m not sure what to make of him.  It could well be what it looks like, that he is this fitness enthusiast who wants to help others, but I can’t help but feel that there’s something sinister about him.

So, American Dream = Blue Valley Tires?  That was the impression I got from the “open house” announcements.  It also serves as a front for the Injustice Society who apparently went to ground in Blue Valley after devastating the Justice Society.  At least they defined just where the money is coming from to support this community.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 27 May 2020 - 07:47 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#14 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

Did I hear Pat Dugan correctly that Ted "Blue Beetle" Kord invented the Cosmic Staff?

That would certainly be straying from the comics.  I hope he said "Ted Knight" and I simply misheard.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#15 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,228 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:54 AM

No, he said Ted Knight.

Facebook Author Page

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:22 AM

Whew.

Thanks, Christopher.

BTW, did you have any thoughts you'd are to share about this two-parter?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#17 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,228 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:58 PM

It was okay, but it had timing problems. That training montage where Pat tried to get the robot's fist thingy to work must've taken hours, probably days, with all the time needed to take it back and forth to the shop and modify it in between however else he spends his time. And yet afterward we got a scene where Barbara was noticing Courtney's injuries for the first time as if it were the morning after the fight with Brainwave. It would require that whole montage to have taken place between sunrise and breakfast, which is quite impossible. Unless Barbara somehow went an entire day or two without seeing her own daughter.

Overall I think the pacing is slower than I'd prefer. We're two episodes in and we've barely gotten two scenes with the supporting players who will become Stargirl's partners in crimefighting. I'm also not finding Luke Wilson all that appealing as a performer. Brec Bassinger is adorable and charming, though.

Facebook Author Page

#18 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:05 AM

I really enjoyed Stargirl and I will go back to watch Smallville's version of Stargirl in the future (along with  my watch of the 1990s Flash that I want to do since i own the DVD set and I have never watched teh whole show to begin with )

#19 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,913 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:55 PM

It seems to me that the serialized nature of the series would call for a more deliberate pace.

However, I do concur that the pacing is inconsistent, what with Courtney’s instant mastery of the staff, and Pat Dugan’s fine-tuning STRIPE before breakfast, not to mention the instant confrontation with Brainwave. That all seemed rather rushed within the context of the story – I think they’ve been in Blue Valley for 2 days, and look at what all had happened to them.

Then there’s the whole issue of Pat’s courtship of Courtney’s mother – I’m guessing Courtney was hoping it wouldn’t work out (without her trying to sabotage it), and was disappointed that Mom and Pat actually got married (not to mention, deciding to move to Blue Valley).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#20 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,228 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:37 PM

View PostG-man, on 28 May 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

It seems to me that the serialized nature of the series would call for a more deliberate pace.

I guess you haven't been watching Vagrant Queen on Syfy. It's pretty serialized, but it's rocketing along at a remarkably fast pace. It took only the first five episodes to get through the whole arc of the title character's quest for her missing mother, introduce, develop, and kill off several major supporting players, and put the main villain in possession of an artifact of ultimate power.

However, I do concur that the pacing is inconsistent, what with Courtney’s instant mastery of the staff, and Pat Dugan’s fine-tuning STRIPE before breakfast, not to mention the instant confrontation with Brainwave. That all seemed rather rushed within the context of the story – I think they’ve been in Blue Valley for 2 days, and look at what all had happened to them.

I think that's chronology more than pacing. The rate and order in which events unfold within the story is one thing, the rhythm and pace with which it's presented to the audience is another.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DCs Stargirl, Stargirl, Arrowverse, CW TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users