Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvels Agents of SHIELD Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,728 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:52 AM

With the identity of the "thread" revealed, the team's mission to protect him at all costs leads each agent to question their own values.

And the sneak peek:

Oy.  What’s a hero to do?

To find out, True Believers, tune in to ABC tonight at 10pm Eastern/9pm Central.

Excelsior!!!

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:38 PM

Can't they just disrupt the timeline, jump ahead and check, and then come back if it's no good?  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,728 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

There’s no take-backsies in the MCU ;)

Anyhow, I really liked this one, although Poor Enoch :(  at least we now have some explanation for Koenig.

BTW … loved Koenig’s reaction to seeing the Zephyr for the first time.  I also loved how the Hydra-Lady’s “go to hell” comment was immediately, and correctly interpreted to provide a definite destination for our gang to go to.

So, the Chronacons are now on to Plan B; and our gang will get a 15-20 minute warning that they will need to leave a certain year.

The gang now have a vintage automobile that they can tool around in through time and space.

May’s total lack of reaction to the restored Coulson was … disturbing.  Whether it was because she’s now used to Coulson coming back; or is still in a state of shock concerning her own restoration they’ve yet to reveal.

Finally, it was nice to see the heroes debate the relative merits of killing someone before they had committed any crime.  Fortunately, the bad guys came along before Zeke had to make a decision about the matter.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:21 PM

Looks like I'll be buying the whole season on Amazon.

View PostG-man, on 04 June 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

There’s no take-backsies in the MCU ;)  
I've always thought "Undo" would be one of the greatest superpowers.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:13 AM

IIRC there's a Marvel Mutant who has that power; the ability to jump a few seconds back in time --just enough to make a different choice.

Tracer also does something similar in Overwatch, though she doesn't "time travel" so much as "reset" herself back to where she was a few seconds ago (everything/one around her is unaffected, which is a major weakness).
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:31 PM

They've still got the old-school logo, so I guess it will change with the decades.

So we had some quite interesting developments in this episode.  Koenig, despite running a speakeasy and being a petty crime boss, proved to be a generally decent guy and quite helpful to the Agents.  He also got a good look at the SHIELD "spaceship," and learned that Enoch is a "robot."  Now Enoch is trapped in the past and has teamed up with Koenig.  Obviously, this will somehow lead to the identical Koenig brothers of the present who serve SHIELD, but it's not clear how. Are they really this Koenig's grandchildren, as Enoch said, perhaps with some enhancements or refinements courtesy of Enoch, with the responsibility of SHIELD passed on from generation to generation, like the Phantom?  Or are they full-on "robots?"  And where does the Koenig sister fit in?

Poor Deke was thrust into quite a moral dilemma, courtesy of Daisy's reckless desire to make some temporal waves.  To his credit, he did the right thing, which will probably elevate him in Mack's eyes.  Daisy will have some 'splainin' to do, though.

In any case, HYDRA was saved and the Chloroforms were defeated, only to head on to their next rendezvous with destiny.  It looks like the currents of the time stream will keep the Agents guessing, but it shouldn't be too hard for Enoch to hook back up with them at their next stop as long as he keeps close watch for them.

In other news, it appears that an injured May is still capable of defeating a Chloroform in hand-to-hand combat, even when he's downloaded the latest martial arts upgrade.  And she still exhibits loyalty and protectiveness to the team, despite her new Vulcan-like stoicism-- though apparently she's not impressed with RoboCoulson.  The big question is, what ails her?  Is this a side effect of her death in the other world, or a defect in Gemma's healing machine, or is it just a really bad case of PTSD?

View PostCybersnark, on 06 June 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

IIRC there's a Marvel Mutant who has that power; the ability to jump a few seconds back in time --just enough to make a different choice.  
Ah, okay.  I'm a little out of touch with Marvel.

Tracer also does something similar in Overwatch, though she doesn't "time travel" so much as "reset" herself back to where she was a few seconds ago (everything/one around her is unaffected, which is a major weakness).
That could definitely be a drawback. You could get yourself caught in an endless loop.

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,728 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

Actually, in Season 2 of Amazon’s The Tick series, Dot (Arthur’s sister) kind of has “Undo” as her superpower.  She gets flashes of the immediate future (within a minute) that she can then alter so it doesn’t come to pass.  A side effect of this knack is that she can actually dodge bullets.

But, naturally, when first experienced it is rather disorienting.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:16 PM

Especially if you foresee yourself getting shot in the head.

#9 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:12 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 07 June 2020 - 05:31 PM, said:

That could definitely be a drawback. You could get yourself caught in an endless loop.
More like she can't use it to save bystanders who just got killed.

(The fact that Tracer considers this a flaw is why she's one of the heroes.)
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:43 PM

Oh, yeah, that would surely be hard to deal with.

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,136 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 08:27 AM

Finally saw this, a week or so behind, since I have to watch on the ABC website and they don't unlock it until 8 days after broadcast. Oddly, this week's episode had the descriptive audio service turned on and I couldn't turn it off, so I waited another day to see if they'd fix it. When they didn't, I just resigned myself to having to put up with it, but then it stopped of its own accord about 15 minutes in. Weird.

They're definitely ignoring Endgame time travel rules (which actually make physical sense) in favor of the usual "change the future" model (which is physically impossible and logically contradictory). Of course, nobody's actually succeeded in changing the future yet, and the ending suggested this was actually a self-consistent loop where the team's presence in the past was part of what shaped SHIELD's and the Koenigs' origins in the first place, so maybe it's still consistent. But all the characters at least believe they can undo the future they know. If that weren't a possibility, the Chronicoms wouldn't even be trying to erase SHIELD's existence -- unless it's just to create a parallel timeline in which they don't exist, which I suppose is still a possibility.

Still, the fact that the writers don't even seem to be trying to stay consistent with the movies anymore makes me inclined to see the last two seasons as apocryphal.

View PostRJDiogenes, on 07 June 2020 - 05:31 PM, said:

So we had some quite interesting developments in this episode.  Koenig, despite running a speakeasy and being a petty crime boss, proved to be a generally decent guy and quite helpful to the Agents.  He also got a good look at the SHIELD "spaceship," and learned that Enoch is a "robot."  Now Enoch is trapped in the past and has teamed up with Koenig.  Obviously, this will somehow lead to the identical Koenig brothers of the present who serve SHIELD, but it's not clear how. Are they really this Koenig's grandchildren, as Enoch said, perhaps with some enhancements or refinements courtesy of Enoch, with the responsibility of SHIELD passed on from generation to generation, like the Phantom?  Or are they full-on "robots?"  And where does the Koenig sister fit in?

I don't think they're going to answer that. The producers have always liked to tease the audience with the Koenigs, to hint that the fan theories about them being robots or clones or whatever were correct, but then revealing them to be fakeouts, or just leaving the question open. So they're never going to settle the question. They just want us to twist ourselves in knots speculating about it.

In other news, it appears that an injured May is still capable of defeating a Chloroform in hand-to-hand combat, even when he's downloaded the latest martial arts upgrade.  And she still exhibits loyalty and protectiveness to the team, despite her new Vulcan-like stoicism-- though apparently she's not impressed with RoboCoulson.  The big question is, what ails her?  Is this a side effect of her death in the other world, or a defect in Gemma's healing machine, or is it just a really bad case of PTSD?

She was acting like a Chronicom. Was it their tech that was used to heal her? Maybe she's one of them now.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,728 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 01:25 PM

Well, in fairness, the movies made no attempt to acknowledge developments on the show, or even clue the showrunners in on upcoming developments, which pretty much leaves the showrunners to figure out workarounds to make the shows compelling while nominally remaining consistent with the movies.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,136 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:49 PM

Except this season seems to be breaking AoS's own previous time-travel logic. Two seasons ago, the premise was that history was almost impossible to alter, and when they did avert the apocalyptic future, Deke didn't get erased from existence a la Back to the Future, suggesting that his native timeline still survived as a parallel.

Granted, this season so far is still consistent in substance with what we saw before, in that any attempt to alter known events ends up either failing or turning out to be a causal factor in those events. The problem, though, is that the characters talk and act as though they believe the timeline can be altered fairly easily or by accident, even though their own comparatively recent experience should tell them otherwise.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users