Doctor Who 3rd Doctor

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:58 PM

Posted Image

This was a superb serial that moved at a fast pace, had a good story, and some nice twists that made sure things never got boring.

The Doctor and Sarah make it back to London only to find it seemingly devoid of life aside from some looters. As they investigate they are attacked by dinosaurs and discover that the prehistoric creatures have been appearing and disappearing for some time now, which has prompted an evacuation of London. They eventually reunite with the Brig and UNIT to try and solve the problem, but are unaware that some of their allies are actually their enemies and will stop at nothing to achieve their goals.

Let’s get this out of the way first: The dinosaurs do not look good here. In fact, they are pretty bad. The show just did not have the budget to pull off convincing dinosaurs but bless them they tried. However, I felt that the dinosaurs had a certain charm which offset just how bad they were.

I think they worked best in part 1, which is in black and white. From what I’ve read the original color master tape of part 1 was erased and it wasn’t until 1983 that a black and white recording was found. On the DVD release of this serial episode 1 has been restored to color but the Amazon Prime version is the black and white one. While I do want to see the episode in color one day, I kind of liked the black and white version. It gave episode 1 a different vibe to the rest of the serial and the dinosaurs came off looking better without color.

I liked the scene where the T-rex is starting to wake up in the garage and Sarah is in there alone with it. Not only that, but she has been locked in. The combination of the acting, directing, and music score creates a tense scene where Sarah does appear to be in mortal peril from an obviously rubber suit dinosaur.

I’ve found most of the 3rd Doctor’s six or seven part serials lacking so far. Most of them simply don’t have a story that really needs that many episodes to tell, and so the writers usually have the Doctor get captured and escape a few times to pad out the length. That doesn’t happen here. It feels like each episode offers a new twist to move the story forward in a different direction, with a big twist coming at the end of part 3.

For what is the last major UNIT story for the 3rd Doctor, they come off as rather ineffectual here. That is by design, since several high ranking officers and politicians are actually the bad guys and are making sure UNIT can’t uncover their plans until it is too late. While I’d rather this story see UNIT rushing into action I like the extra tension and drama that is added at seeing them be outmaneuvered for most of the story.

I did not like Yates being revealed as a traitor and a member of the Golden Age cabal. Nothing we have seen from his character in the past few seasons would suggest he would go along with such a radical plan nor does this serial ever truly justify his actions. He gets one or two lines talking about how peaceful London is without all the people there but that’s hardly justification for wiping out the human race. I was hoping we would see him turn against his conspirators but that doesn’t happen. He at least is allowed to resign at the end and go on sabbatical so that’s something.

This is why I wish we had Jo during this season. Sarah doesn’t know Mike. She meets him for the first time in this serial. His betrayal lacks the emotional punch it could have contained if Jo was the companion since she had a good relationship with Mike.
Honestly, I wouldn’t even call Sarah a companion yet. It is only at the end of this serial that she agrees to travel with the Doctor and she spends a good amount of time in this serial away from the Doctor.

This serial does give her a lot more to do, and shows off her tenacious reporter side. Sarah tracks down some good leads and does get to the bottom of what’s going on. Unfortunately that also means she ends up getting kidnapped by the villains about half way through the serial. I feel like this serial gives us a much better look at Sarah and what makes her tick than the last one did.
The Doctor gets a new car here, the Whomobile. Why he doesn’t use Bessie is never explained but I guess if Batman can have the Batmobile then the Doctor can have a Whomobile.

The 3rd Doctor era has placed a heavy emphasis on environmental issues and several of the stories have talked about the evils of pollution and what damage is being done to the planet. This serial takes that a step further and has the villains be environmentalists who have decided that humans won’t change and that the planet needs a re-do. Their plan is to reverse time, wipe out humanity, and re-start with a chosen few who will take better care of the planet.

It is pretty audacious to have environmentalists, who have been shown to be more or less the good guys so far during this era, be the villains. The Doctor does acknowledge that Golden Age had good intentions and that the environment does need to be protected but wiping out the human race is a tad extreme.

There are some good comedic moments in this serial that made me laugh out loud. I loved the scene where the Doctor is working on the gadget that will knock out a dinosaur and he keeps getting interrupted and is getting more annoyed. Oh, and the Doctor’s mug shots were pretty funny as well.

Invasion of the Dinosaurs is that rare six-parter that never feels like it is spinning wheels just to pad the time. The story is engaging with plenty of twists and decent cliff hangers to keep viewers entertained. Sarah is fleshed out more here and proves to be a capable companion. The villains posed a real threat since they operated within the UNIT and government hierarchy and stymied the heroes at almost every turn. I highly recommend this serial.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,136 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:02 AM

When this one was first shown in the US, the first episode was still missing. The movie-length edit shown on PBS stations just started abruptly at the top of episode 2, which was very confusing. Though not as much as "Planet of the Daleks," which was missing its third episode and had a big jump in the middle. They didn't even include any kind of caption or title card explaining that there was an episode missing.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:59 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 17 June 2020 - 11:58 PM, said:

The Doctor and Sarah make it back to London only to find it seemingly devoid of life aside from some looters.  

Ah, the old deserted-city trope.  Always makes for a good start.

As they investigate they are attacked by dinosaurs and discover that the prehistoric creatures have been appearing and disappearing for some time now  

Eventually there would be an entire British TV series based on that premise.

Let’s get this out of the way first: The dinosaurs do not look good here. In fact, they are pretty bad. The show just did not have the budget to pull off convincing dinosaurs but bless them they tried. However, I felt that the dinosaurs had a certain charm which offset just how bad they were.  

I never met a dinosaur I didn't like.

I did not like Yates being revealed as a traitor and a member of the Golden Age cabal. Nothing we have seen from his character in the past few seasons would suggest he would go along with such a radical plan nor does this serial ever truly justify his actions.

I'm having flashbacks to SHIELD season one.

The Doctor gets a new car here, the Whomobile. Why he doesn’t use Bessie is never explained but I guess if Batman can have the Batmobile then the Doctor can have a Whomobile.  

That seems a bit much.  :D  And do they really call it the Whomobile?  Are they calling the Doctor that at this point?  I didn't think they ever used that name in the show.

It is pretty audacious to have environmentalists, who have been shown to be more or less the good guys so far during this era, be the villains. The Doctor does acknowledge that Golden Age had good intentions and that the environment does need to be protected but wiping out the human race is a tad extreme.  

There was probably a segment of the audience that sided with the bad guys. I've heard a few people say that the world would be better off without humans, apparently not grasping the enormity of what they're saying.

I highly recommend this serial.  
Unfortunately, the DVD appears to be out of print.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,136 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:32 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 18 June 2020 - 06:59 PM, said:

And do they really call it the Whomobile?

Not in dialogue -- it was just "this new car of mine." Per the TARDIS Wiki:

The vehicle was not created for Doctor Who, but was personally commissioned by Jon Pertwee, who retained possession of it after his tenure as the Doctor. Pertwee gave it the name "Whomobile" during press interviews, but it was also known — again, off-screen — as "Alien". Had the vehicle been named in Doctor Who, it almost certainly would not have been called "the Whomobile", as this violated producer Barry Letts' strong conviction against making plays on the programme's title. The Doctor Who Technical Manual referred to it simply as "the Doctor's Car." In spite of this, the name was indeed given as "the Whomobile" in an audio drama featuring Pertwee and Elisabeth Sladen recorded for the audio story Glorious Goodwood.
https://tardis.fando.../wiki/Whomobile

Are they calling the Doctor that at this point?  I didn't think they ever used that name in the show.

He was routinely credited as "Doctor Who" in the end titles, but almost never called that onscreen. The only exception was in the First Doctor serial "The War Machines," with its infamous line "Doctor Who is required." Although they did tiptoe around it sometimes, e.g. if someone asked "Doctor who?" and the First Doctor replied "Yes, if you like." And in "The Highlanders," the Second Doctor used the alias Doktor von Wer (Doctor of Who), while in another serial he signed his name "Dr. W."
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:32 AM

Unfortunately, the DVD appears to be out of print.

It is back in print as a manufactured on demand disc from the BBC (in north America) as of last year.  However, I do think all of season 11 with this story will be out on blu-ray by next year sometime

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:58 PM

It must be through the BBC site only, I guess, because I didn't notice it on Amazon.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:08 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 25 June 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

It must be through the BBC site only, I guess, because I didn't notice it on Amazon.

It is. I checked. It is $25 plus whatever they charge for shipping. If you just type in BBC Shop US the site should be the first thing that pops up. You could also wait for it on Blu-Ray, as ultraviolet pointed out. So far they have released one Pertwee season, two Baker seasons, one Davison season, one Colin Baker season, and one McCoy season. The next Blu-Ray box set will be another Baker season.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:45 PM

Found it!  Thank you.  So much stuff there....   :mellow:

#9 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

• Islander
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 26 June 2020 - 02:08 PM, said:

View PostRJDiogenes, on 25 June 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

It is. I checked. It is $25 plus whatever they charge for shipping. If you just type in BBC Shop US the site should be the first thing that pops up. You could also wait for it on Blu-Ray, as ultraviolet pointed out. So far they have released one Pertwee season, two Baker seasons, one Davison season, one Colin Baker season, and one McCoy season. The next Blu-Ray box set will be another Baker season.

Plus the blu-ray sets are cheaper than the whole season of releases on DVD

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

I'm considering that, too.  But there are a lot of seasons.  :D

#11 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

• Islander
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

there are only seven of the classic seasons on blu-ray so far, but the cost of owning an entire season is cheaper than owning the individual DVDs.  The blu-rays have extra special features not on the original DVDs and improved picture content.

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:54 PM

It does sound too good to pass up. How many seasons are there all together, though?  Thirty?  :D

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,136 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:59 PM

Classic Doctor Who ran for 26 seasons.

Facebook Author Page

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:35 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 01 July 2020 - 05:54 PM, said:

It does sound too good to pass up. How many seasons are there all together, though?  Thirty?  :D

You don't have to get all of them. I'm not sure if I will. I'll probably get all of the 3rd Doctor seasons (I did buy the 3rd Doctor's fourth season Blu-Ray when it came out) because I love the 3rd Doctor. Plus, there are a ton of bonus features and they're pretty cool.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,627 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I don't have to get all of them.  But once I start something....  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who, 3rd Doctor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users