• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,765 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

Has anyone been watching this?

From the credits, apparently Dave Gibbons is involved in this production even if Alan Moore isn’t – and so far (I’m 5 episodes in the 9 episode mini-series) I’ve been enjoying this series.

It’s delving into black history seems appropriate given the current clime, and it gives an untapped resource an opportunity to inform the program.

The program is also actually doing a decent job of fleshing out the characters and the world.  I am giddy with anticipation to watch the final four episodes – and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they don’t mess this up.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

I watched it when it originally aired and liked it more than I thought I would. It was a pretty good continuation of the Watchmen universe. It does wrap everything up more or less satisfactorily and feels like a self-contained season rather than something setting up more seasons and spin-offs. All the main mysteries and questions are more or less answered aside from the biggest question in the entire show: Who is Lube Man? :D
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,765 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:17 AM

I liked this.  I really did.  I liked that they folded the black experience in to Hooded Justice, this was a stroke of genius, as it touched on somethings normally ignored in fiction.  I liked the depictions of the various eras, and the repercussions of Veidts’ solution to the world’s problem; not to mention his reaction to what the world became despite his efforts.

The characters created by Moore retained their complexity, all the while addressing contemporary problems and explore what masks can and cannot do.  While not the wholesale deconstruction of the genre, this was a good extrapolation out of what Moore had established and did feel like the Watchmen.  It wasn’t glorifying costumed heroics, but rather was examining the cost of engaging in such activities.  It also highlighted Captain Metropolis’ glory-seeking and fetish, contrasting it with the crusade that Hooded Justice was engaged in.

This really was a well done and executed series, and well worth checking out.

My Final Rating:  Wow (Wow, OK, Eh, Sigh, Blech)

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users