Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvels Agents of SHIELD Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,765 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:28 AM

S07E07 - The Totally Excellent Adventures of Mack and the D.

After being unexpectedly stranded in 1982, Mack retreats to his childhood home to process the death of his parents, while Deke gets to work scouting a chart-topping group of new agents.  With no idea if or when the team is coming back for them, time seems to finally be on their side, at least until the killer robots show up.

And the sneak peek:

This certainly looks to be a hoot.  To see how this will dovetail with the rest of the season, remember to tune in tonight, True Believers, to ABC at 10pm Eastern/9pm Central.

‘Nuff said?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 08 July 2020 - 07:32 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:56 PM

I wasn't done with the 70s yet.  :(
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,765 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:57 AM

Yeah.  I do wish they had done more within that decade, but so far they do seem to be sticking to the 2-episodes/decade model.

So, “the D” founded the Deke Squad to become the SHIELD of the 1980’s, disguised as a pop-rock group.  Mack isn’t feeling it, and spends what seemed to be an inordinate amount of time simply building car models – a nice nod to the model he built for Coulson to a) convince Coulson to allow him to work on Lola; and b) to spy on Coulson.

Also, the notion that Deke was keeping tabs on the boys was … unexpected.  The guy is trying, but is prone to falling back to his old ways in order to make himself comfortable.

Then there was Sybil trying to reconstruct herself, and the Chronicoms; and Coulson’s psyche being digitally preserved “Max Headroom” style.  Yeah, Coulson had dealt them a severe set-back.  That said, I do not recognize the person that Sybil recruited to help her … is he someone new?

Anyhow, great fun.

Next week, we visit Daisy’s mom to help restore Yoyo’s abilities.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 09 July 2020 - 09:58 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:21 PM

Well, that was pretty cool, for an 80s homage. You can't beat the 70s, but they did okay. One weird thing is that the story was told in flashback by Deke's debriefing with May, which kind of gave away how things would turn out.

There was a lot to like here, and the 80s actually seem not so bad after everything that's come after. We got to see new sides to both Mack and Deke, which made it very interesting. Mack was well and truly broken by the deaths of his parents, so much so that he grew a Moses beard while remaining bald-- maybe male-pattern baldness is his superpower-- and turned into a couch potato.  And Deke turned into a cheerleader and proxy for everything that Mack stood for until the big guy was ready to take up the mantle again.  The best moment in the episode was learning that Deke had befriended young Mack and his brother and was helping to take care of them.  This tells us what Deke is really made of on the inside.

On the outside, however, Deke is still the same old Deke-- although he really can put his faults to constructive use if he needs to.  In the few months that Mack was crippled by debilitating depression, he put together his Inferior Five version of SHIELD and kept the candle burning for Mack. By stealing 80s songs. From Simple Minds and the Bangles. What will this do to the timestream?  :lol:  But it all paid off and he was able to bring Mack around.

And, ah, the 80s homages.  The green computer monitor logo. The deadly mall robots. The murdered groupie exsanguinating more blood than five people. The backlit foggy Spielberg shots.  The posed poses and the bantering bon mots and the clunky camera angles. And, most beautiful of all, Phil Headroom. How I loved Phil Headroom.  :lol:

Luckily, my worries about Mack and Deke growing old together were misplaced, since the Zephyr was only gone for less than two years. But it did make me wonder what is pulling them through time now, if the Commodorecom's ship was disintegrated. In any case, like Coulson, Sibyl managed to survive on her own backup drive and will shepherd her pawns through her rebuilding process, no matter how much moonlighting is involved.

Next week:  What does Gemma have in store for Coulson's next incarnation?

View PostG-man, on 09 July 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

That said, I do not recognize the person that Sybil recruited to help her … is he someone new?  
It seemed like we were supposed to know him, but honestly, I've lost track of all these guys.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:30 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 09 July 2020 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostG-man, on 09 July 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

That said, I do not recognize the person that Sybil recruited to help her … is he someone new?  
It seemed like we were supposed to know him, but honestly, I've lost track of all these guys.

I think it was the Malick brother that was experimenting on Daisy.  I guess he didn't quake himself to death after all?

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:01 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 09 July 2020 - 10:30 PM, said:

I think it was the Malick brother that was experimenting on Daisy.  I guess he didn't quake himself to death after all?
I wondered about that.  He fell down, but nobody checked his pulse or anything, and that's always a bad sign.  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users