Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

SQL Server - What is it? Why do we keep getting errors?

79 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,870 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

Given the recurrent nature of this error, I'm wondering:

What is an SQL Server?

Are there any other options we could use, or are we stuck with this?

Why do we keep experiencing errors?

Is this due to external factors, or is it something particular to having an SQL Server?

Inquiring minds want to know.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself  - who is appreciative of the work that goes to maintaining ExIsle.
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,422 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:40 PM

Great question.  I'm always afraid that this time Ex Isle won't come back and that would,be awful.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#3 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

View PostG-man, on 31 July 2020 - 07:18 AM, said:

Given the recurrent nature of this error, I'm wondering:

What is an SQL Server?

Are there any other options we could use, or are we stuck with this?

Why do we keep experiencing errors?

Is this due to external factors, or is it something particular to having an SQL Server?

Inquiring minds want to know.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself  - who is appreciative of the work that goes to maintaining ExIsle.

I remember Orpheus explaining it once in the shoutbox but, it was too far back for me to look it up and quote it for you, Sorry..

Edited by M.E., 31 July 2020 - 07:39 PM.

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

View PostMary Rose, on 31 July 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

Great question.  I'm always afraid that this time Ex Isle won't come back and that would,be awful.

It crossed my mind this time too.  I think because this time was longer than most.

#5 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:42 AM

I can still vividly remember how awful it felt when I was locked out of Ex Isle just a short while back.  It was kind of a sinking feeling. :(

IIRC, you were locked out around that same time, right?

#6 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

• 22,422 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:29 AM

View PostM.E., on 01 August 2020 - 03:42 AM, said:

I can still vividly remember how awful it felt when I was locked out of Ex Isle just a short while back.  It was kind of a sinking feeling. :(

Yeah, probably.  Don't remember when but I think it's happened more than once.  So awful.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Posted Image

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:31 PM

I think it took so long just because Orph was busy and didn't know. I finally emailed him and it was fixed a few hours later.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

View PostMary Rose, on 01 August 2020 - 06:29 AM, said:

Yeah, probably.  Don't remember when but I think it's happened more than once.  So awful.

Sorry, I was talking about the time I got bumped off the board and could not sign back in.  I didn't know how to contact anyone because all my contacts were stored here.

I remember that you had the same issue about not being able to sign in.  The board was up and running but it turned out that the captcha was outdated or something to that affect.  I thought I was gone from here forever it was a terrible feeling.  I can only imagine how you felt because you have been here so much longer than me.

#9 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 01 August 2020 - 02:31 PM, said:

I think it took so long just because Orph was busy and didn't know. I finally emailed him and it was fixed a few hours later.

Thanks for your help, RJD. :)

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:25 PM

I was pretty worried too. That wasn't the longest the board had been down with an SQL Server problem. I was sad at the thought it was gone for good. I know there are only a handful of us left but I'd miss all of you.

I ended up contacting Orpheus on Twitter because I didn't know how else to get a hold of him. We really need a plan in place if this happens again.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#11 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

• 22,422 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:49 PM

View PostM.E., on 01 August 2020 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostMary Rose, on 01 August 2020 - 06:29 AM, said:

Sorry, I was talking about the time I got bumped off the board and could not sign back in.  I didn't know how to contact anyone because all my contacts were stored here.

I remember that you had the same issue about not being able to sign in.  The board was up and running but it turned out that the captcha was outdated or something to that affect.  I thought I was gone from here forever it was a terrible feeling.  I can only imagine how you felt because you have been here so much longer than me.

Oh, you mean that time I had to talk through my husband because he could get in and I couldn't?  Yeah, I remember that, vividly.  It was horrible.   I never want that to happen again, to me or anyone else.
Posted Image

#12 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

• 22,422 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:52 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 01 August 2020 - 06:25 PM, said:

I was pretty worried too. That wasn't the longest the board had been down with an SQL Server problem. I was sad at the thought it was gone for good. I know there are only a handful of us left but I'd miss all of you.

I ended up contacting Orpheus on Twitter because I didn't know how else to get a hold of him. We really need a plan in place if this happens again.

I think there's an EI Facebook page or one for mods.  Not sure.  But yes, something to discuss.  I also agree with you that I'd miss everyone that is still here.  Hell, I even miss those that are long gone but such is life.
Posted Image

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,870 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:57 PM

I was using the "disposableorpheus" e-mail account he had provided a while back when I first saw the SQL Server Error, as I had done previously ... I like to think that worked, but cannot swear to it.

That said, I recognize that life gets hectic, and Orpheus may have other concerns that get priority, before he can address board issues.

But still, I miss ExIsle when I cannot access it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 01 August 2020 - 07:57 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, Orph is definitely super busy right now.  But it sounds like a bunch of us contacted him, which is good.  I completely forgot about the Ex Isle page.  :(
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:20 PM

Has anyone else been having problems with the board? I've gotten the SQL error again though it went away when I refreshed. There has also been a few times where it has taken a long time to post something and I've gotten an error message about drivers or something similar. Again, I can refresh and the board comes back but it takes a minute.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:10 PM

That just happened to me with the last post I made.

#17 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

• 22,422 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:19 PM

Left over board hiccups?
Posted Image

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

And we're back!!  Again!

Whew! :D

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:26 PM

I knew we could do it!

By waiting for Orph to save our butts.

#20 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 04:29 PM

I'm glad the Board is back but I'm worried that we have now had two SQL incidents in a short period of time, both lasting several days.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users