• 8,812 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

Oh, this one looks promising.

It’s due out this December.

Please note, this is but Part 1 of 2.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:42 PM

Dune was never one of my favorite books, but this looks like it could be better than the 80s version (apologies to Patrick Stewart and Gordon Sumner :D).
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:59 AM

Looking forward to it the visuals look stunning and they seem to capture the scale and grandeur of the universe.
Hopefully this will actually get across what the book is about, not a revenge tale but about cults of personality/heroworship and leaders being trapped in these preconceived roles and unable to effect meaningful change. (at least in my opinion)
Personally I'm kinda worried its going to go ultra woke as one character has already been gender swapped and the director stated in an interview they wanted to make Lady Jessica a bigger character as there was a lack of strong female characters in the book. I found this pretty absurd seeing as Lady Jessica was already in my opinion one of the most important and influential characters in the book.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,812 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:30 AM

Hmmm … it’s been decades since I last read Dune.  I really should re-read it before seeing this movie.

Anyhow, here’s a shot-by-shot comparison between the modern trailer, and the classic David Lynch film:

In looking at them, I find that I’m preferring the more fanciful art direction of Lynch’s film; albeit, I do like that Villeneuve’s ornithopters actually possess wings.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:48 PM

The color palette of Villeneuve's dune is definitely a lot more muted hopefully this will compliment the tone of the film rather than detract. Personally I like to see bright and bold colors for my sci-fi even if it looks a little hockey it at least makes it memorable.

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:31 PM

I do love ornithopters.  :lol:  I think Heinlein used ornithopters, too, but I'm having a mental block at the moment....
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

I haven't read the original Dune novel in years. Same with watching either the Lynch film or the two Sci-Fi channel mini-series. I guess I should at least re-read the book before this comes out.

It does look promising. I like the cast and modern technology and CGI has allowed them to, as Doppleganger said, capture the scale and grandeur in a way the other adaptations couldn't.

Personally I'm kinda worried its going to go ultra woke as one character has already been gender swapped and the director stated in an interview they wanted to make Lady Jessica a bigger character as there was a lack of strong female characters in the book. I found this pretty absurd seeing as Lady Jessica was already in my opinion one of the most important and influential characters in the book.

Giving a character a larger role isn't that terrible a thing, nor does it mean it will be ultra woke. Same with the gender-swapping. This is hardly the only sci-fi franchise (or any franchise, really) that has gender-swapped characters. BSG did it for Starbuck and created a compelling character. The same could happen here.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,193 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

How is it bad to be woke? Wokeness is what science fiction is all about. It's always been about social criticism and cautionary tales and political allegories, going back to H.G. Wells and Jonathan Swift. Dune itself was loaded with political allegory on environmentalism, imperialism, religion, gender and sexuality (though it was often backward in that area), and the like.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#9 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:31 PM

The director has stated the production design and cinematography of the Lynch film was a strong influence.  

Looks very promising.  Thufir Hawat with a parasol on Dune.  That sold me.  And the shield belts have become shield bracelets.  Nice touch.  

The 2000 Sci Fi Channel miniseries was one of my favorites.  Not only was the production long enough to do the narrative justice, but the costume and production design were pretty good for a modestly budgeted TV production, and the Harkonnens were nicely deceitful adversaries, not the cartoon characters Lynch made of them.  And I liked how the miniseries expanded the role of Princess Irulan.

#10 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 September 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

Giving a character a larger role isn't that terrible a thing, nor does it mean it will be ultra woke. Same with the gender-swapping. This is hardly the only sci-fi franchise (or any franchise, really) that has gender-swapped characters. BSG did it for Starbuck and created a compelling character. The same could happen here.

Usually I am against gender swapping but I have to admit it worked really well on BSG as the character was fleshed out and well written and I give kudos to the BSG writers for making bold decisions and sticking to there guns over them.

View PostChristopher, on 13 September 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

How is it bad to be woke? Wokeness is what science fiction is all about. It's always been about social criticism and cautionary tales and political allegories, going back to H.G. Wells and Jonathan Swift.

Being woke isn't inherently bad as long as the story and characters are put first otherwise your just preaching to your audience. Using race, gender and sexuality are great ways to add depth just so long as they are not the characters sole defining features.
Regardless I will go to see the movie as the quality cast and epic story are more than enough of a draw for me and I hope this brings Dune to a wider audience.

The First Heretic

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,193 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

View PostDoppleganger, on 14 September 2020 - 07:34 AM, said:

Being woke isn't inherently bad as long as the story and characters are put first otherwise your just preaching to your audience. Using race, gender and sexuality are great ways to add depth just so long as they are not the characters sole defining features.

But that's the whole point of gender- or ethnicity-swapping, surely -- the fact that the defining traits of a white male character rarely require that character to be white or male, because they're traditionally presumed to be the default and thus are not defined solely by race or gender. So there's no reason such a character can't be something else instead.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#12 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:35 AM

You make a fair point, its just a personal pet peeve of mine when established characters are rewritten.
I am all for the best actor for the part and I am sure Sharon Duncan-Brewster will do justice to the part of Kynes. And as I stated in my original post I merely had concerns that the studio was trying to shoehorn current politics into the story.

The First Heretic

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,193 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:42 AM

View PostDoppleganger, on 14 September 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

And as I stated in my original post I merely had concerns that the studio was trying to shoehorn current politics into the story.

Defaulting to whiteness and maleness is political. It's always been political. White males have had the luxury to ignore that, but nobody else has. If anything, casting more inclusively is less political. It's doing things the way they should have always been done. It's the way they always should be done from now on, and saying it's just some passing phase that you want to go away is essentially saying that you want to revert to giving white males an unfair advantage.

And I say again: Dune has always, always been an intensely political work. To object to including politics in Dune is laughable.

Edited by Christopher, 14 September 2020 - 11:44 AM.

Facebook Author Page

#14 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:24 PM

Dune itself does contain politics as part of the story, not sure where you are getting the whiteness and maleness default from.  I have no issue with a diverse cast my only objection was to a seemingly unnecessary gender swap of a character as this may be a sign of the studio taking other liberties with the story. I loved the book and didn't mean to cause any insult or upset with my comments so will leave it at that.

The First Heretic

#15 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,193 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:38 PM

View PostDoppleganger, on 14 September 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

not sure where you are getting the whiteness and maleness default from.

Huh? That's the whole thing that makes it necessary to do gender and ethnicity switches when casting an adaptation of an older work -- the fact that most such works were unrealistically overpopulated by white male characters to the exclusion of other categories of person. So if you want to cast them fairly and inclusively, if you don't want to discriminate against most of the pool of available actors, and if you don't want to miss out on casting really talented people who don't happen to be white or male, then you end up changing some of the white male characters into something else.

I have no issue with a diverse cast my only objection was to a seemingly unnecessary gender swap of a character as this may be a sign of the studio taking other liberties with the story.

What's wrong with taking liberties with a story? If an adaptation were a slavish retelling of the original, that would be a terrible waste of effort, because we already have the original. The only value in doing a new version is to do something different with it. Some of the best movies adapted from novels take enormous liberties with their source material, e.g. Jaws, Blade Runner, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and so on.

Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users