Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS - S1, E6: "Terminal Provocations"...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:18 AM

The lovable, but awkward, Ensign Fletcher makes work difficult for Mariner and Boimler. Rutherford introduces Tendi to a holodeck training program he created.

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,813 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

Heh, I would’ve thought that within Star Fleet, the personable “Fake it till you make it” types would’ve been quickly weeded out, or otherwise given staff positions, as opposed to duty on starships.  OTOH, it was nice to see Boimler and Mariner working together to deal with the menace, and that Boimler, in that time of crisis, finally recognized just the kind of person Fletcher was, and rejected him.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:21 PM

Well, Fletcher WAS pretty quickly tossed out.  I guess with certain ships, someone of that mentality can last longer than other assignments.

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,813 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

I believe that the smaller the ship, the more important it is for everyone to pull their own weight, especially if they are engaged more in industrial/engineering tasks.  Were Fletcher aboard a Galaxy-class, they *might* have tolerated his behavior since they could relegate him to non-essential duties, like Gopher, Bartender, or Cruise Director (a la The Love Boat), while  leaving  the essential tasks to those who can deal with it.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,813 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:05 AM

My mistake, I just caught the closing scene where Fletcher was promoted and transferred to the Titan, where he was fired within a week.

Yeah, this show is definitely presenting a less idealized Star Fleet and humanity than prior series.  

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,193 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:33 AM

View PostG-man, on 19 September 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

Yeah, this show is definitely presenting a less idealized Star Fleet and humanity than prior series.  

My theory is that the Dominion War killed off so many Starfleet personnel that they've had to lower their standards a bit to fill the vacancies. Also the counselors are so busy dealing with the war veterans' PTSD that more ordinary neuroses are going unaddressed.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users