Lifetime casts married couple for first gay Christmas movie

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:05 PM

https://www.nbcnews....-lgbtq-n1240146

Lifetime is putting the final touches on its first holiday movie to feature an LGBTQ romance as the main storyline.

The network announced that the real-life same-sex married couple Ben Lewis and Blake Lee will star in the upcoming film “The Christmas Set Up,” with Fran Drescher and Ellen Wong among the other members of the cast.

“The world we create on camera should reflect the world we live in,” Amy Winter, Lifetime’s head of programming, said in a statement Monday.

The Christmas Set Up” follows Hugo (Lewis), a New York lawyer, and his best friend, Madelyn (Wong), as Hugo spends the holidays in Milwaukee with his matchmaking mom, Kate (Drescher). When Kate sets Hugo up with Patrick (Lee), Hugo’s high school friend and secret crush, there is an undeniable, mutual attraction between the two. But when Hugo receives news of a job promotion in London, he must choose what is most important to him.

This has me excited. It is about time that Lifetime features gay characters in a lead role. I also love that it is Ben Lewis and Blake Lee. I like both actors and am happy to see them in new work.

Now if only Hallmark can give me a cozy mystery movie with a gay lead character who falls for a hunky cop my life would be complete.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,996 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 16 September 2020 - 09:05 PM, said:

Now if only Hallmark can give me a cozy mystery movie with a gay lead character who falls for a hunky cop my life would be complete.  
I can't help you there, but you might be interested in the independent movies on this page.  There's a nice thriller, but the characters are Lesbians-- the Gay movies tend to be rom-coms so far. Suzanne Brockmann is a friend of Nonny's, so I've been supporting her Kickstarters, since Nonny can't anymore. The movies that I've seen are pretty good, and who knows that she might do a Gay Cozy Mystery someday?

And this gives me an idea for a whole new thread.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

With any luck if this one is a decent success more will follow. ;)
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

I can't help you there, but you might be interested in the independent movies on this page.  There's a nice thriller, but the characters are Lesbians-- the Gay movies tend to be rom-coms so far. Suzanne Brockmann is a friend of Nonny's, so I've been supporting her Kickstarters, since Nonny can't anymore. The movies that I've seen are pretty good, and who knows that she might do a Gay Cozy Mystery someday?

And this gives me an idea for a whole new thread.

Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

With any luck if this one is a decent success more will follow.

I'm hoping. It just sucks that a certain portion of the population sees something with a gay character in it and immediately thinks it can't be family friendly. I had an uncle who was so upset when Hallmark aired that commercial that showed a few seconds of two women getting married. He raved about how Hallmark was one of the few places left for family entertainment and now they were ruining it. *Sigh*

Still, I'm going to watch this the minute it airs and hope it means we get more LGBT characters in future movies. I don't even need them all to be lead characters. I'd be happy with side characters. Just acknowledge that we exist, please.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,537 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:11 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 20 September 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

I'm hoping. It just sucks that a certain portion of the population sees something with a gay character in it and immediately thinks it can't be family friendly. I had an uncle who was so upset when Hallmark aired that commercial that showed a few seconds of two women getting married. He raved about how Hallmark was one of the few places left for family entertainment and now they were ruining it. *Sigh*

That is sad.  People are people.  Love is love (sometimes blind, but still love ;) )  The only aspect of LGBT characters/actors I've ever had was how things were conducted.  That meaning, scripts weren't written well or someone wanted more something that didn't really fit well with the story at hand.  And that happens with any story really.  But it seems race and sexual orientation seem to force the issue more times than others.  Sadly, I think some of that is either under good intentions and/or an exec/company wanting to be able to say, "hey, we made this and thus we are pro-..." in order to prop themselves up.  That essentially is using someone or the ideas as something for them.  (Think: "hey I have one black friend, so I can't possibly say racist things.")

Still, I'm going to watch this the minute it airs and hope it means we get more LGBT characters in future movies. I don't even need them all to be lead characters. I'd be happy with side characters. Just acknowledge that we exist, please.

I hope you get your wish many times over.  As I said before, people are people.  And people should be treated as such.  I welcome the day when pretty much everyone sits down to watch a show or movie and no one notices differences.  Not because those differences are hidden or shadowed, but because they're commonplace and overlooked.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 02:58 PM

https://www.nbcnews....ennett-n1240917

"Mean Girls" actor Jonathan Bennett will star in "The Christmas House," his third Hallmark Channel original movie, alongside Robert Buckley, Ana Ayora, Treat Williams and Sharon Lawrence. The film focuses on a gay couple looking to adopt their first child and airs on Sunday, Nov. 22.

"Our holiday table is bigger and more welcoming than ever," said Michelle Vicary, EVP, programming for Hallmark in a statement. "Our movies are rooted in warmth and positivity, meaningful connections, family gatherings, and seasonal traditions — a winning formula we hope will bring our millions of viewers much-needed levity and holiday cheer at the end of a tough year."

This is great news.

Hopefully this means Hallmark Movies and Mystery will give me the gay led cozy mystery movie I want.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users