Agatha Christie MHz Choice International Mysteries

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,874 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:24 AM

Continuing my review of the offerings of MHz Choice, this is a French series (subtitled in English) based on Agatha Christie stories, but transplanted to France with original lead characters, so naturally, liberties were taken with the source material.  Now, when viewing the episodes, we find that the series is actually entitled Les Petits Meurtres d'Agatha Christie.

Have to admit, I was curious about that title translation, and looked further on MHz Choice, and noted that there was a French Series that was entitled “The Little Murders of Agatha Christie”, which was followed by a prequel series entitled “Agatha Christie’s Family Murder Party” which was set in the 1930’s featuring a veteran Commissaire Laosiere and his newly arrived rookie associate, Inspecteur Lampion.  These two preceded the production of the series that I viewed.

Agatha Christie’s Criminal Games is set in Lille during the 1950’s and over the course of three seasons ends up in the early 1960s.  It features an intrepid girl reporter, Alice Avril, a scrappy survivor of an orphanage who is determined to preserve her independence while working to become a successful journalist, often involving herself in the Inspector's cases in order to get a story.  Inspector Swan Laurence is an aging playboy (he turns fifty over the course of the series) of good taste, refinement, and ability who had fought in the resistance during the war, and who dearly wishes that women (in particular Ms. Avril) would stop putting themselves at risk and interfering with his investigations.  Then there is Marlene Leroy, a beautiful, devoted, observant, if somewhat airheaded secretary who is very much attracted to the oblivious Laurence, even as she provides leads to her best friend, Avril.  Naturally, much hilarity ensues as these three investigate all the murders that occur in the greater Lille metropolitan area.

It’s an enjoyable series, and while the leads preserve the status quo between them, the relationships do continue to be defined and challenged throughout the series.  The characters have their share of romances (not with each other), with Inspector Laurence being very much a man of the times (as opposed to an "enlightened" male), whose tolerance of liberated women is sorely tested by an adventuresome Avril.  Throughout the series, tThere are historical nuggets embedded in the episodes, such as women not getting the right to vote until 1945 (this surprised me), the attitudes towards homosexuality and lesbianism, the state of advertising during this time, and then of course, all the children not knowing who their parents are, and parents unaware of having children, or else raising kids not their own.

All in all, I’d say that Agatha Christie's Criminal Games is worth checking out, and eventually I’ll review that other series once I’ve had an opportunity to stream it.  I will note that the acting in this series is notably exaggerated, especially when compared to some Italian series that I followed, but still it is engaging and entertaining, which I very much appreciate.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 17 September 2020 - 12:00 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,874 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

Oh, and I discovered today that Season 4 of Agatha Christie's Criminal Games is due to stream next Tuesday (September 22) on MHz Choice.

I am definitely looking forward to it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:01 PM

Well, looks like I'll be adding MHz to my streaming list eventually. This series sounds really good.

The other two series you mentioned also sound good. If only I was rich. *sigh*
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agatha Christie, MHz Choice, International Mysteries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users