The Independent Film Thread

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:15 AM

I am one of the white clad deacons, and I'm in a number of shots.  I'm usually carrying a pump-action shotgun, and I am noticible as the one holding his firearm vertically when running through a crowd (my thinking being to avoid hitting any other extra while running past), also if you see a deacon paused behind the hatch of an APC when we're abandoning the vehicle, that's me too, as my shotgun got caught in the door mechanism.  Plus, I am one of those who surrounded and captured the heroine, that shot you can see my face as I am to the left of the heroine, about three-quarters view.

Admittedly, when I recently watched it I hardly recognized myself, but, for an extra, I was surprised at how many scenes I was in that made the final cut.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#22 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:27 PM

That's fantastic. It must have been a great experience.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#23 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:21 AM

I could certainly regale you with some of my memories of production, if you're interested, RJD.

That said, I hope you will share your thoughts on the film as a whole.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 07 October 2020 - 09:07 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:38 PM

I'd love to hear your experiences.  I plan to watch the movie very soon-- at the latest it will be part of my Halloween Marathon.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#25 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:20 PM

Fair enough.

Oh, yeah, if you're a fan of the old blaxploitation films, I highly recommend the independent film Black Dynamite, it is a film worth watching.  Can ya dig it?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#26 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:01 AM

Then also, Elvira's Haunted Hills is a fun, micro-budgeted spoof of the old Hammer and Roger Corman horror films.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 11 October 2020 - 09:09 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#27 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

^That was a fun movie. I haven't seen that in years. I'll have to add it to my watch list.

I have a couple of horror movies to talk about.

The first is The Wretched, an independent horror movie that did quite well for itself over the summer playing on drive-in movie screens. It is about a teen boy who goes to live with his dad for the summer and believes that a child eating creature has taken over the woman who lives next door. He has to prove it while keeping the woman's son safe. I thought it was really good, with a twist I didn't see coming but once revealed felt obvious.

The next is The Pale Door. This is a western/horror hybrid. It centers on the Dalton gang as they rob a train. They expect to find riches in a trunk but instead they find a bound and gagged young woman. She promises them a reward if they take her home. They travel to an old town that is populated just by women. They quickly realize that the women are witches who need their blood to stay alive. While not without its problems, this was a pretty good movie. It is a slow burn but there's nothing wrong with that.

Finally there is Blood Fest. This focuses on a group of friends who go to a giant Halloween amusement park only to discover that the owner plans on murdering them all and that they exhibits are real. They end up running from zombies, vampires, serial killers, etc. This is a comedic horror movie but it has enough scares and blood to satisfy most horror fans.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#28 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:36 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention The Knights of Badassdom Featuring Peter Dinklage and Summer Glau, where a group of sword and sorcery LARPers accidentally summon a demon to their war.

It's a comedic-horror movie ... or perhaps a horrific comedy ... anyway, it is great fun, and uses animatronic prosthetics and mostly practical effects to recapture the pre-CGI glory days of film making.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#29 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:30 AM

Reminiscences of life on a B-movie set –

So, Twilight of the Dogs was filmed in the gravel pit in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, during the summer (probably 1993).  I was there for two days of shooting, when the temperatures routinely topped 100 degrees (F), with the heat index making temperatures feel like it was in the 120s.

The director and producer was John Ellis (who was an acquaintance of mine); the author, and lead actor was Tim Sullivan (another friend of mine) … with costume and modelling assistance being provided by Steve and Diane Desroches (who were friends of mine, and got me onto the set and in the movie).

Anyhow, I was one of the red beret, white-clad deacons (the cannabilistic, but organized and devout followers of Reverend Zurk), and had the joy of riding around in the troop compartment of what may’ve been soviet BMP-1, an amphibious turreted tracked vehicle, of which we were informed “don’t ask how we got it.”  It could carry a Driver, a Commander, a Gunner who sat in the turret, and a number of us (6-8) in the back.

Day One – Exteriors.

My first time in the BMP, involved us riding around and firing the cannon a couple of times.  I had a supposedly empty M-16, and so, thinking it was empty I was aiming at rocks and squeezing the trigger.  Noting its heavy pull, I looked at the safety, adjusted it, squeezed again, still a heavy pull, so I decided not to test just how much effort it would take to squeeze the trigger back.  When I handed my weapon to the set arms-master, he pulled the bolt and was surprised when a [blank] round was ejected.  He then fired off the other 2-3 rounds, which (he had something of a temper) made me glad I hadn’t managed to fire the thing.  After that I was issued a pump shotgun, which would be the firearm I’d be seen wielding for the film.

In any case, we were dismissed “backstage” while they filmed the reaction scenes with the be-knighted “dogs” (post-apocalyptic refugees, loosely organized, but mostly decent folk).  As we’re trudging back and forth across the gravel pit, that I noticed my slouched posture rather echoed the posture I saw in a photo of a soldier in Vietnam as he walked along the rice paddy, and so I figured, OK, it’s hot, it’s humid, and the footing is uncertain, this must be what it felt like.  Anyhow, we’re backstage relaxing under an awning with the some other extras, in particular the lovely Ingrid (red-headed deacon who utters the line “Assume the position!”) and the makeup and costume people.  The crafts-table is set up with food which is smelling good, but our instructions are, no one is to eat before the camera crew and actors are finished and they get first crack at the food.  So, it felt like forever … but we waited, and eventually they were done and we got to eat.

When they were finally ready for us, we would now capture the heroine.  This involved a number of us running, and surrounding her.  Take one, we did it and I marked my spot.  Take two, we repeated the sequence and I noted that I was once again on the spot, and this resulted in me having a ¾ profile on screen J

By the end of the day and the sequence was that the BMP would roll to a stop and everyone rushes to exit the vehicle.  The first take we tried it, a SPFX wire had looped my ankle, and as I exited the back and then rounded the hatch to race forward, I feel my leg jerk from under me, I’m hovering in mid-air, and then splat unto the ground.  The AD is telling me to run, and I’m shouting back “I can’t – my leg’s caught!”.  Take Two – this time my shotgun barrel was snagged by the hatch mechanism, I managed to get it free and completed my bit running away from the vehicle, as another deacon performed a belly flop from off the top of the vehicle.  And that was the last take as the sun was going down.  Later at a convention panel, when I related this, the Director was startled and remarked “so that’s why the film looked washed out.”

Also on set that day was a cow (which was pregnant – I think she gave birth during the production, but that would have been after my time on set), a dog (who was accused of being a diva), a sweet-tempered horse, and the animal wrangler.

Day Two – Interiors

Around the Gravel Pit, was a Warehouse filled with all kinds of stuff, and served as the main set for Reverend Zurk’s revival meeting.  We, the armed deacons would be lined to one side watching the crowd of worshippers, the camera woman (who reportedly worked on TNG) was mounted on a dolly and was filming us from below as she was pushed and pulled along our line.  When, a worshipper notes a blasphemer in our midst, we were to rush through the crowd to capture said blasphemer.  This is where you can see me running through the crowd with my shotgun held vertically, as I felt that on a practical level this would prevent my hitting of the other extras around me while allowing me to closely follow the others preceding me.  Why this is noticeable is that all the others have their weapons held diagonally.

Oh, the warehouse was not air-conditioned, so, yeah, hot and humid in there as well, with the sole advantage being that we were out of the sun.

And that was my experience with film-making.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 13 October 2020 - 10:36 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#30 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

Oh, yes, another film from c. 2001 is a Don Dohler production, Stakes about vampires from another dimension hopping over to our world.  Don Dohler is a Baltimore based film producer, and this film features Leanna Chamish as the Vampire Queen.

Now, speaking of coincidences, I had met Leanna Chamish some 10 (or more) years prior to this film ever being shot at a wine tasting.  I had thought the name was familiar, and she kinda looked familiar, and in checking my wallet I found that I had her contact information from way back then (never took advantage of it, shame on me).  When I saw her at a convention where she was promoting her film, I showed her the paper and asked if this was her.  Her response was to laugh turn to another friend and say, “See, I’m not the only one!”

Anyhow, I thought the film (to be found at http://timewarpfilms.com/Shop.html along with some other Don Dohler films) was actually quite good, and is certainly Halloween appropriate.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#31 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:35 PM

View PostG-man, on 10 October 2020 - 08:20 PM, said:

Oh, yeah, if you're a fan of the old blaxploitation films, I highly recommend the independent film Black Dynamite, it is a film worth watching.  Can ya dig it?  
The only Blaxploitation Films I can remember are Get Christie Love! (of course) and Sugar Hill, but Black Dynamite sounds like nostalgic fun.  I'll add it to my Shopping Cart.

View PostG-man, on 11 October 2020 - 09:01 AM, said:

Then also, Elvira's Haunted Hills is a fun, micro-budgeted spoof of the old Hammer and Roger Corman horror films.
A good suggestion. I've got both of her theatrical movies and they are very enjoyable.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 12 October 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

The first is The Wretched....  The next is The Pale Door....   Finally there is Blood Fest.  
These all sound good.  I'll check them out.

View PostG-man, on 12 October 2020 - 06:36 PM, said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention The Knights of Badassdom Featuring Peter Dinklage and Summer Glau, where a group of sword and sorcery LARPers accidentally summon a demon to their war.  
Wow, this sounds really interesting.  I love both Peter Dinklage and Summer Glau.

View PostG-man, on 13 October 2020 - 10:30 AM, said:

And that was my experience with film-making.  
That sounds amazing. I'd love to have an experience like that with an indy film.  Now I'm even more psyched to see it.

View PostG-man, on 13 October 2020 - 12:45 PM, said:

Oh, yes, another film from c. 2001 is a Don Dohler production, Stakes about vampires from another dimension hopping over to our world.
Vampires from another dimension.  Very high concept.  :D

#32 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

An interesting footnote to The Green Slime is its connection to the Gamma One series.  The difference being that The Green Slime was produced in Japan, in collaboration with Toei Pictures, while the Gamma One series was produced in Italy.

What is the Gamma One series?  It is a science fictional series of four movies produced in Italy in 1965.  The series is set in the mid-21st century, where our heroes are based on Space Station Gamma One that is in orbit around the Earth.  Some of their ideas are rather trippy, and possess the usual dubbing one would associate with spaghetti westerns.

Wild, Wild Planet – Mutants run amok, shrinking people, as a mad scientist bent on world domination seeks the perfect woman with which to unite to form the perfect being.  Released in Italy as "Criminals of the Galaxy".

War of the Planets – Earth’s orbital stations go missing, while energy beings from Mars seek to unite with human hosts, “for the good of the whole.”  A process that proves fatal to the host, should the human prove unreasonably emotional.  Released in Italy as "Diaphonoids Come From Mars".

War Between the Planets – A sentient world is set to collide with Earth unless the crew of Gamma-One can stop it.  Released in Italy as "Planet on the Prowl".

The Snow Devils – Our gang from Gamma-One must battle Yeti from Outer Space to prevent them from freezing the world over to make it suitable for their purposes.  Released in Italy as "Death Comes From Planet Aytin".

All of these are worth the effort of tracking down and watching.

How does this series relate to The Green Slime?  It is mostly behind the scenes with story idea and writers, and even a producer, who had all worked on the Gamma One series.  So, one might think of this as the final chapter of Gamma One, despite the change in characters, production design, and the renaming the station as Gamma-3.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 14 October 2020 - 01:39 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#33 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:58 PM

Interesting.  I'm pretty sure I've see two of those (aside from Green Slime), but I never knew they were part of a series. I'll have to see if there's a box set or something.

#34 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:53 PM

No box set, but each movie is available reasonably priced on DVD.

Another great producer of low-budget B-movies is Don Glut. Some may remember him as a prolific writer of comics back in the 60s and 70s, particularly at Gold Key and the Warren Horror black-and-whites (he also wrote for the Skywald Horror magazines and did sporadic work for Marvel).  In addition, he wrote prose fiction and a number of non-fiction books on folklore and dinosaurs.  Since the early 90s, he's produced about eight independent movies, starting with Dinosaur Valley Girls, up to Tales of Frankenstein (based on his old short stories), within the past year or so, and he's got a couple more in pre-production.  As with the other producers, his output has increased in quality and sophistication over time, but they all conjure up that classic Drive-In movie feeling-- with the emphasis on a Hammer vibe.  Trigger warning for those of a more conservative inclination: These movies are generally of a more erotic nature and tend to have healthy doses of nudity and sex.  Also, like Josh Kennedy, but unlike Chris Mihm, these movies are all in color and set in the present.

#35 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:18 AM

Oh, we shouldn't forget Stampede Productions which produced Tremors (1-4 + TV Series), arguably one of the most successful monster franchise produced by the US.  The book Seeking Perfection by Jonathan Melville documents the trials and tribulations of creating and producing this franchise.

The Graboids, and their life-cycle as conceived by Stampede, and detailed throughout the four films, are one of the most distinctive monsters in movie history, being something more than simply a giant animal/insect; likewise, their nemesis, Burt Gummer (as portrayed in all 7 films by Michael Gross) is a surprisingly engaging hero.

The post-Stampede productions opted to change the creature design and used CGI, which (IMHO) was a mistake as their designs are not nearly as memorable as those produced by Stampede.  However, Burt Gummer remains the main character in these last films, and Michael Gross had campaigned hard to preserve Burt’s character in the sequels.  Consequently, the films are still fun to watch, but I find myself missing the old Stampede designs and practical effects.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 16 October 2020 - 02:12 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#36 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:47 PM

That's interesting. I had no idea there were so many Tremors movies. I haven't seen any of them, but I did like the Tremors TV series (in fact, I have it on DVD).

#37 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

Oh, do make an effort to catch these films.  There is an "Action Pack" available that collects the first four films; and there is a collection that contains all six films.

The seventh film is due to be released direct to DVD by the end of this month.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#38 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:58 AM

In the spirit of Tremors is in independent Irish production entitled Grabbers.

Set in an island bound community, a meteorite brings be-tentacled critters to the area.  The only defense is to have the inhabitants raise their blood-alcohol level up to a point where the become unappetizing to these "Grabbers".

It's great fun, and would make for some good Halloween viewing.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#39 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:31 PM

Turns out that Shrieker Island is being released the day after tomorrow-- bundled with the first six movies-- for about $30.

View PostG-man, on 18 October 2020 - 08:58 AM, said:

In the spirit of Tremors is in independent Irish production entitled Grabbers.

Set in an island bound community, a meteorite brings be-tentacled critters to the area.  The only defense is to have the inhabitants raise their blood-alcohol level up to a point where the become unappetizing to these "Grabbers".

It's great fun, and would make for some good Halloween viewing.  
I'm glad you reminded me about this one.  I haven't seen it yet, but, coming from an Irish family, the idea of a bunch of Irishmen needing to drink themselves senseless to save the world is hilarious to me. It's available on Amazon Prime, so it will definitely be a part of my Halloween Marathon.  :lol:

#40 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,915 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:50 AM

Tremors 7:  Shrieker Island

Now I get it.  Where the first four films established and defined the creature, the last three films were all about the Legend of Burt Gummer as he travels across the globe to confront the ever more dangerous breeds of Graboids.

All in all, for a monster movie franchise, this works and brings the Legend of Burt Gummer to a conclusion.  Burt is allowed to get old and evolve as he is confronted with his past, even as he faces down these pre-Cambrian lifeforms in a world that is determined to close in around him.

In this movie, now set in the South Seas/Indonesia, we have the jaded billionaire and his silicon valley cronies seeking the thrill of the hunt on their private island hunting preserve.  Meanwhile, one island over, a largely unarmed scientific team (working for said billionaire) are noticing unanticipated tremors, and seek to discover what is causing them.  Sneaking over to the hunting preserve, their discovery has them calling for Burt Gummer to save them from what their patron has wrought.

The cinematography was nicely done, and having the lush vegetation of the tropics offered up a different kind of setting for Graboid adventures.  The writing again kept to the spirit of the series, and the monsters were appropriately monstrous, even if some liberties were taken with their depiction for the purposes of drama.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users