• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:04 PM

I am not going to make political commentary on her death & the implications tonight. If that is your thing, feel free.

I don't have many words right now. I'd just like to recognized her contributions to lessening gender inequality under the law.

If I recall & understand correctly, she persuaded SCOTUS in the 70s to create a new level of legal scrutiny to review sex discrimination cases under the constitution. It is called intermediate scrutiny. A stronger level of scrutiny that those cases received previoulsy before under a Rational Basis test. A lesser level of scrutiny than strict scrutiny, which is typically reserved for classification based on race, national origin, and alienage.

RIP RBG
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:31 PM

Horribly sad. She will be deeply missed.

It's terrible that a huge fight is already taking place over who is going to replace her and she hasn't even been buried yet.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,427 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

Well, that's Trump ad his cronies. Class all around.  It's a very scary time to be a woman or girl.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#4 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:28 PM

^^^ Yep, and losing Ruth Bader Ginsburg at this time, just adds to that concern. She tried to stay alive for us, as her last great act, but even the best of us can't cheat death. May she now rest peacefully.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:12 PM

Trump has unveiled his nominee. While she seems competent and experienced she has also said she has no problem overturning previous Supreme Court decisions so conservatives might finally end Roe v. Wade. They could also undo gay marriage and the LGBT protections that were just passed.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users