Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Update on Movie Releases

Movie Release Dune Wonder Woman Death on the Nile Black Widow James Bond No Time To Die

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,877 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

Apparently due to the underwhelming performance of Nolan’s Tenet in the US Domestic Box Office, studios are pushing back the release dates of three of five films I was looking forward to for the rest of the year.

No Time To Die – the new James Bond film – still seems set for a Nov 20 release.
Death on the Nile has been pushed back to Dec 18.
Dune – thus far is still set for a Dec 18 release.
Wonder Woman 1984 has been pushed back to Dec 25.
Black Widow has been pushed back to May 7, 2021

I can understand the caution about releasing the films until everything is absolutely “safe,” but I confess some disappointments with the delays, and worry about whether Dune will release on the day it is currently scheduled.

Given that Dune might potentially pull a Black Panther and dominate the box office for weeks on end (conditions permitting), thus the new dates are not doing either Death on the Nile or Wonder Woman 1984 any favors, albeit, they might be successful as counter-programming.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 25 September 2020 - 10:52 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:07 PM

I'm curious how much of Tenet's poor box office was due to COVID-19 and how much was due to the movie itself. I must admit that the marketing didn't grab me and I didn't feel a strong desire to see the movie.

If Bond stays at Nov. 20 it will be interesting to see how it performs since it is a known property, there is plenty of interest in it, and it is Craig's last Bond film.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:56 AM

Agreed the trailer I saw for tenet made me think it was a low budget indie film with an incredibly vague premise.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#4 zarkon

zarkon
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:09 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 26 September 2020 - 08:07 PM, said:

I'm curious how much of Tenet's poor box office was due to COVID-19 and how much was due to the movie itself. I must admit that the marketing didn't grab me and I didn't feel a strong desire to see the movie.

If Bond stays at Nov. 20 it will be interesting to see how it performs since it is a known property, there is plenty of interest in it, and it is Craig's last Bond film.

I think it was the movie itself.  I watched this a number of weeks ago when theaters cracked open a bit in my area.

Besides being quite a long movie, the story line didn't grab me that much.

However, I think it created a lot of confusion, especially when current time and future time or maybe it was past time, were all converging on the screen at the same time.

You have things moving forward and backward in time at the same time on the screen.   Makes my head spin remembering watching it  :D

Visually, pretty cool look to the movie, but it felt more like a movie for the special effects guys to show off their stuff than focus on the story itself.

By the time it was over, and it is a long movie, I felt very neutral.   I found the grandeur and  expanse of the movie off the charts.

My personal best benefit was it was the first movie I could watch in a theater on a very hot day in Florida during this pandemic and the air conditioning for several hours was glorious  :D  

And I also agree that when it popped out, and one of the first big ones out there, the average movie patron was unlikely to venture out to be an early adopter like myself.

If my only option to see any movie was on a weekend night where more humans would share space, I probably would not have gone.

I had the luxury of just retiring before this virus hit, so any theater that has an afternoon movie to see, I am all over it as long as it looks interesting.

Their A/C beats mine at home any day   :insanosmile:

Edited by zarkon, 27 September 2020 - 10:13 AM.

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,877 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:38 PM

In fairness, if you leave out the timey-wimey stuff, Tenet's plot boils down to a James Bondian style story, complete with rescuing a wife and child from a cruel villain of a husband and father.

That said, it's just as well that the storyline was so straightforward as the timey-wimey bits very much complicates the telling, demanding that audiences pay attention and think about things.  IOW, it's not your typical popcorn thriller.

That, in itself, may not have had such an impact during normal circumstances, but with COVID-19 ... it probably did help.

BTW, cinema a/c is so much better than what I have at home, that it too was a relief, in addition to the distraction the movie provided ;)

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 27 September 2020 - 12:39 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,220 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

Air conditioning in enclosed spaces has been linked to cases of COVID infection, as it can concentrate and recirculate the virus. What you need is good ventilation and an exchange of air with the outside. I'm not sure any current theater is equipped for that, aside from drive-ins.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,877 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

And people die of heat prostation if they cannot cool their body temperatures, this is particularly true of those older people who do not have access to air conditioning.  In particular, no air conditioning in a hot and humid environment can keep people from getting a good night's sleep, and will adversely affect their health, rendering them even more vulnerable to COVID-19.

Let's face it:  life is full of risks.  All one can do is decide which risk is worth taking.

Crossing the street is a risk, which is why we're supposed to 1) cross in a crosswalk, 2) when we have the light, and 3) after we have looked both ways to assure the coast is clear.  Of course, even if all these precautions are taken, a pedestrian can still be struck by a car whose driver is in a hurry and isn't paying attention.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 27 September 2020 - 02:07 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,220 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:30 PM

View PostG-man, on 27 September 2020 - 02:04 PM, said:

Let's face it:  life is full of risks.  All one can do is decide which risk is worth taking.

You're not just risking yourself in this case, though. You're risking the lives of the most vulnerable people around you. And over a movie, for pity's sake. Not even a good one, judging from the reviews of what's been out there lately.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#9 zarkon

zarkon
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

If you actually go to a movie today, there is likely to be just a handful of people inside the big dark black box and no one is risking anyone's life or health.

At most when I have gone, in a box that holds 300, there were 5 people.

A few times, I am the only one.

I am very happy most of the population wants to stay away and give me the best movie experience ever.

Tonight, I will be going to the anniversary showing of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

This will be the first night time adventure for me, so we shall see if more humans invade my perfect dark space  :insanosmile:

#10 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,877 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

Thank you, Zarkon, and enjoy your experience.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:23 PM

View Postzarkon, on 29 September 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

This will be the first night time adventure for me, so we shall see if more humans invade my perfect dark space  :insanosmile:    
There will be invaders, but they won't be human.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#12 zarkon

zarkon
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

Just a follow up on Close Encounters.

It was a bit longer as some of the original parts that were removed has been added in, and somethings were changed a bit, but memory is fuzzy on the specific details  ;-(

Brain Fuzz gets me too much these days.

BUT, just for warm fuzzies, I was the ONLY person in the theater.  ;-)

And just moving through the lobby and else where, there were very few humans visible.

OF course this is during the week, and I think that speaks volumes.

Humans are creatures of habit, and the weekend is when they all head to the dark boxes to huddle together.

During the week is duh BOMB  ;-)  

Today, pretty good chance I will see Empire Strikes Back.     I sure am loving these old movies getting a showing in a theater again.  

Just not the same watching it on a big screen at home,  these are all in the XTreme boxes with extra sound stuff and fancy recliners etc  ;-)

WOOHOOOO :insanosmile:

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:44 PM

I wouldn't mind going to the movies so much if I could be the only one in the theater.  :D

Was this one of those re-releases sponsored by TCM?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#14 zarkon

zarkon
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:50 AM

The releases I have seen so far are being sponsored by Fandango

And they get a few extra bucks for the deal as well.

I think I missed my shot for Empire Strikes Back, as they only had this run for a short bit, and my timing was off.

If they pop in a few old SciFi classics again, I will show up.

So far, at least during the week when I have gone, the theaters are still like ghost towns.

I suspect the weekends do much better.   I also found out that, when I went to see Close Encounters, the LAST show of the night was around 7PM, and most employees leave the building at 7:45  and a skeleton staff stick around to turn off the lights after the last movie is over.

Edited by zarkon, 01 October 2020 - 11:51 AM.

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 02:51 PM

Well, No Time to Die has been pushed back five months.

It seems likely that the first half of 2021 might go by without any major movie releases, at least in the theaters.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,877 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:23 AM

:( Phooey.

I had been looking forward to that one.

Did you note when the tentative release date is?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#17 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,877 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:10 AM

OK, I’ve found it:

No Time To Die (James Bond film) has been moved back from November 20, 2020 to April 2, 2021.
Dune has been moved back from December 18, 2020 to October 1, 2021.  Mind you, given the interviews that suggested the December 18, release date was going to involve a post-production “sprint” to finish the special effects, the delay might be for the best.

However, with the delay of the James Bond film, accounts have Regal Cinemas announcing that they were closing down their theaters again.

(sigh)  I had a suspicion that those two would have their respective releases pushed back.

So, December of 2020 is the earliest we can hope to see some blockbusters … maybe … unless they get delayed again.

Death on the Nile is due to screen on December 18, 2020.  
Wonder Woman 1984 is due to screen December 25, 2020.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 06 October 2020 - 09:11 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#18 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,537 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:29 PM

I admit, I have been getting the thought of going to a movie.  I saw the anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back and when I checked online for reservations (finding it was only a little over $5 and the original screening), I saw most of the showings with no one to 5 people in there.  It was on my birthday, but I decided in the end not to go.  I own the movie on dvd.  I really kind of want to see Bill and Ted's latest movie, but it wasn't showing at the Marcus Theaters on their $5 Tuesdays (and free popcorn).  I really just kind of miss my aunt who was my movie partner, who passed almost two years ago (this December).
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#19 zarkon

zarkon
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

You missed a great opportunity  :(

I saw that movie again, and it was such a special treat to see it again on the BIG screen, felt like a little kid..

There was NOBODY there.

In fact, in several of these old releases, there was NOBODY there.

Now granted, I went during the week, but the staff told me even on the weekends, the number of bodies are few and far between.

Personally, I always hated weekends, due to too many humans who cannot behave.   During the week is golden.

My big favorite I just got to watch was Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.  Spielberg got to add back in scenes he had to leave out, and it just felt so much more glorious.

I have also seen some of the few new releases, like Tenet, and same thing,  ghost town.   With Tenet being a new release, there was a total of 5 people in the big dark box.

Some of our movie chains have also tailored their hours to a small window, like 1 or 2 showings per day, at a 4-5 and 7ish time frame.  Each chain varies a bit.
We even have one that is closed Mon - Wed, so lots of variations.

With all of that, there is NO safety concerns from my experience.

GO FOR IT  :insanosmile:

Edited by zarkon, 08 October 2020 - 09:26 AM.

#20 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,013 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:33 PM

View PostFnlPrblm, on 07 October 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

I really just kind of miss my aunt who was my movie partner, who passed almost two years ago (this December).  
I'm sorry to hear that. You should go to a movie in December for the sake of remembrance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie Release, Dune, Wonder Woman, Death on the Nile, Black Widow, James Bond, No Time To Die

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users