Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Server issues / Contact the Admin

Ex Isle Bugs Admin Server Issues

11 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:45 PM

So - I saw in the chat box that there's some sort of something, that may be stalled due to COVID-19, but I only caught it briefly and thought I'd start a thread, because I've been having problems getting in.  AND, because when I attempted to log in and got a server hang, I wrote to the admin email and got this error message:

Message not delivered
There was a problem delivering your message to LEARN MORE
The response was:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at https://support.goog...720 [exisle.net 34.235.107.36: timed out]

I've already lost one of my ancestral homes online, I'd like not to lose this one too....!  Help!?  

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:22 AM

QT, I suggest you read this thread in full.  Lots more to discuss, but lots of it has been addressed there.

I haven't managed to post my thoughts on all this yet...

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,870 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:37 PM

I think this error message means Gmail isn't accepting email sent by the exisle.net domain.

I mentioned elsewhere that there were apparently some forged email/spam, possibly sent by our server, possibly not. It's also possible that there's some new authentication protocol. It happens every few years -- SPIF, DKIM, ARC, ADSP, etc) that I'll have to look up and implement on our server.

(*sigh*) I have to admit I don't have time to keep up on what's coming down the pike in server issues like these. For all I know, this was announced last year or earlier (so many tech sites, so much talk, so many proposals, then *BAM* One tThing to Rule Them All and Through Sheer Size to Bind Them [us]

I can never tell which protocols will ultimately be adopted by the Big Players, and which of those will be enforced vs ultimately fizzling  -- until something breaks. I have my fingers in too many subjects to keep up on all of them. Recently, I have barely been able to keep up with the bare rudiments of life, family issues, health, etc.

Anything beyond that is frosting. Haven't I always warned y'all about sweets and chocolate?

#4 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:12 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 20 October 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

I think this error message means Gmail isn't accepting email sent by the exisle.net domain.

^ Except QT was sending mail to an exisle.net address ... and the error message states that the recipient server did not accept the request (from google?) to connect.  

Maybe the server was just not responding at that moment?  I have noticed the board has been very sluggish the last few days, since around when you first mentioned the spam problem.

By way of adding diagnostic info, my SFG email address is gmail, and I have been receiving board notifications just fine.  I even got notice of this post you just made, as promptly as all the others! :thumbs-up:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#5 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:53 PM

I get notification from here to my gmail everyday.

#6 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,870 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:18 PM

That error message didn't come from us. It came from Google. Looking at it now: it means "ExIsle.net won't accept email from us")
And they're right: ExIsle only sends outbound email.

There are no inbound exisle.net email ddresses. IIRC, we shut down the inbound address system (mailboxes etc) during the 2007 server move -- or within a year or two after.
[Long explanation deleted]

Since everyone who came on staff already knew how to use Gmail/etc, each staffer used that (or other mail accts they already had) for incoming email.

Edited by Orpheus, 22 October 2020 - 05:40 PM.

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

So is there a public email for contacting the admin if we can't get in? In my case it was just a server hang. But what if it was a real problem?

BTW, thank you, Orpheus for all you do, COVID-19 and Ex Isle!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

Indeed.  Orph is one of the heroes of the Apocalypse.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,430 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:20 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 22 October 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

So is there a public email for contacting the admin if we can't get in? In my case it was just a server hang. But what if it was a real problem?

BTW, thank you, Orpheus for all you do, COVID-19 and Ex Isle!

QT

IIRC, in the viewing of the board as a guest, there is a link to contact the Ex Isle admins. I think it's in the right hand corner but since I only ever come to the board when I'm at home I'm always logged in so haven't seen the guest view in awhile.  

But I'll PM you my e-mail, so just in case you need the help of a a bona fide human who is actually on staff, well, I'll do what I can.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#10 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:19 AM

I couldn't get through to contact Admin.  Same thing happened on KHC's new board. I was summarily booted off both boards without any reason.  I think it was updates being installed.  Neither place would allow me access no matter what I tried.

I finally got back on here through D.Rabbit.  Orpheus asked D.Rabbit if she was sure it was me.  So I made some kind of comment about his pants. lol

#11 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,870 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:52 AM

Pants? What pants? Do you have information regarding the whereabouts of my pants? Expect a subpoena.

There are a ton of places in the board settings where my email is available as sysadmin (15 years) or board owner (3-4 years?). I'm certain I haven't updated them all. My bad.

For about 5 years, I've been recommending DisposableOrpheus@gmail.com for Exisle, because I don't use that email for anything else.
For about 15 years, I've been listing Orphic.Mysteries@gmail.com -- it still works, and I check it regularly, but since it's higher volume and not ExIsle-exclusive, its spam filters are twitchier.
I have no real control over Gmail's spam filters, not over the scale of thousands of registered members on hundreds of host domains. Gmail is more geared to personal use.

Be aware: though I began checking my email first thing in the morning (before my coffee, even) in 1980, I don't check every account every day anymore, and honestly I don't know what to do about that. I know I could script something, but I don't have time to test such a script. The volume of ExIsle email to me is too low to be reliable test data. I'd never know if I missed someone.

Ideally, I'd prefer to run full email services on ExIsle's own domain as we used to. On the other hand, that's like doing all your own car/house repairs yourself: Sometimes you'll hit issues and not even notice, sometimes something will break when you can't deal with it. That's why professionals delegate tasks to other professionals. Gmail has 99.999% uptime and everyone knows how to use  and configure it.

Edited by Orpheus, 24 October 2020 - 08:01 AM.

#12 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,430 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:04 AM

I just plugged Ex Isle on Facebook.  I don't know if it will help but I tried.  The new layout sucks and I'm glad Orph isn't a dictator like Zuckerberg and lets us have Ex Isle, how we like it.  Although, I do miss the Beka skin, but nobody's :D :laughtears: :p ;) :bigsmile: :beka: :wink: :) :howling: :biggrin: :wink2: :laugh:  perfect.  Plus, there's stil the Beka smiley

Edited by Mary Rose, 24 October 2020 - 09:05 AM.

Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,230 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong place to report a glitch, but it's the closest thing I can find. I get a "Database Error" message every time I try to go to page 3 of the Power Rangers Beast Morphers thread in Reviews. It's only that page of that thread that has the problem, as far as I can tell. I tried posting a new message from the reply box on page 1, but it didn't go through.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ex Isle, Bugs, Admin, Server Issues

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users