Details in this thread

U.S. Election 2020

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:06 PM

With the election next Tuesday I thought I would make a thread.

Obviously I want Biden to win. If that can't happen I at least want the Senate to switch to the Dems since Republicans have shown they will let Trump do whatever he wants and break as many rules/laws as long as he pushes through their agenda.

The sad thing is that even if Biden wins and Dems control Congress it might not matter with a conservative 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court, especially since the conservative justices are very activist. Thomas and Alito have already said they want to undo marriage equality and with Barrett on the SC they could easily do just that. We will probably also see the end of Roe v. Wade and the ACA, leaving millions without insurance.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,430 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:01 PM

Well, I'm not sure how true it is but people have been saying Biden could expand the court.  I've also heard that there might be grounds to impeach at least her and Kavanaugh for lying at their hearings.  I've also heard that the early voter turn out is a good sigh, since people don't show up in those numbers if they are content with things.  But I can't say for sure, of course.  I'm scared too.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#3 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 03:16 AM

Scared, sick.

The thought of Roe v. Wade overturned, and the ACA taken from us, Gay marriage, and at this rate, women's rights entirely, etc... And the combining of church and state. This is the path we are on.

Just the thought of 4 mores years of someone causing more hatred, encouraging white supremacists, more division between the people, etc... just sickens me.

With Biden in the lead at the moment, I'm guessing 45 already has plans ready to skip the country. At least after he has attempted (and failed) a coup. And yes, that is what I believe he has fantasized doing.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:50 AM

^With the Supreme Court tilted heavily in favor of conservatives it doesn't really matter who wins the presidency. The SC can decide abortion, gay marriage, etc. and wipe away a ton of progress.

That said, a Biden presidency (even one hampered by a conservative SC and a Republican Senate) will be leaps and bounds better than Trump remaining president. We can get actual competent people in charge of our institutions. Racist and horrific policies like kids in cages can be done away with.

I know even if he wins things won't get better automatically and with this close of a win Trump-ism hasn't been refuted anywhere near as much as I was hoping but at least it will start us on the path to normalcy.

I do hope we get the results of Nevada and Arizona today. If those go for Biden he has won. Granted, Trump is challenging in court and asking for recounts but hopefully he won't be able to steal the election.

I find it funny that he is trying to stop the count in states where Biden is ahead, which would give Biden an automatic win.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 03:34 PM

Even if Biden wins, with the Senate in Republican hands, BIden will have trouble getting his legislation passed.

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:41 PM

At this point, Biden's biggest appeal is he doesn't want to actively murder us .  I know we need WAAAYYY more than that, but for now that will do! :oh:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 11:52 AM

Networks are calling it: Biden wins Pennsylvania, and with it, the Presidency.

History made: first black, first asian, first woman vp.

And on a personal note, she is in the same historically black sorority as me! 💕💚💞💕💚

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 07 November 2020 - 11:56 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

YAY!

Now we can hope that the Senate run-off in Georgia will turn Democrat.  Lots of Republican money gearing up for the battle.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users