SUPERNATURAL - S15, E20 - "CARRY ON"...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:11 AM

After 15 seasons, the longest running sci fi series in the US is coming to an end. Baby, it's the final ride for saving people and hunting things.

#2 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:30 PM

The episode will air at 9 p.m.  At 8 p.m., there will be a special.

Be sure to tune in, folks... this is truly the end of an era.  I will miss this show so much.

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,914 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 03:12 PM

:blink: :blink:

You mean it isn't a two-hour episode? :(

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:20 PM

I thought that was what would happen, too.

I think the original intention was what they did for the seadon 6 finale... air the final two as a single night event.  COVID, due to the shutdown, probably meant altering what they might have done as a two hour event.

It's still a two hour event, but this way gives a sort of goodbye from the cast and crew before they ride in Baby one last time.

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:22 PM

^ Was this the only episode filmed after the lockdown?  Or was last week's that as well?  (They did still have to finish some filming, right?)

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

This and last week's were the only two that needed to be filmed because of the lockdown.  The other 5 before were at various stages of post-production when it occured.

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

^Thanks!

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:53 PM

Okay, well, that's pretty much what I didn't want.  Dean has joined the ranks of Trip Tucker and Wash Washburne as one of those great characters who died in the finale just because. Sam dies, too-- sometime around 2070, I guess, but after a long life that's implied to be Hunting free. I liked them riding off into the sunset much better.

It was certainly nice to see Bobby one last time, but it's a shame that he was the only familiar face. No Cass, no Jack, no Eileen, no Winchester rents. Well, I guess that Vampire was a familiar face, but I don't really remember her.  I wonder what happened to the Bunker.

There were a couple of good things. I liked Jack's refurbishing of Heaven and the revelation that Cass is with him, as I hoped. And Dean did have a good death scene-- but it was just so unnecessary.

So here's the finale of Supernatural:  Shortly after defeating Chuck and achieving freedom for themselves and humanity, Dean is killed, because apparently being Chuck's favorite character comes with plot armor, Sam eventually marries and has a kid, but is never free of this tragic loss, and the boys are eventually reunited in Heaven. That's not depressing at all.  

And where will the reunion movies come in? Huh?  Tell me that!  :lol:

They should have left it at the sunset.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:23 AM

I thought of you and  the reunion movies when I watched this final episode.  Maybe they can do something like aliens land on earth and try to wipe out mankind so, Jack, Sam, Cass, and Dean have to come back to earth and save it. lol

Okay, but, I never claimed to be a writer.  I never claimed to be any good at reviews either.  lol

I really thought Sam was going to call on Jack to heal Dean.  I really did.

#10 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:25 AM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 19 November 2020 - 05:20 PM, said:

I thought that was what would happen, too.

I think the original intention was what they did for the seadon 6 finale... air the final two as a single night event.  COVID, due to the shutdown, probably meant altering what they might have done as a two hour event.

It's still a two hour event, but this way gives a sort of goodbye from the cast and crew before they ride in Baby one last time.

I missed that goodbye from  the cast and crew. :(  I only saw the finale :(

#11 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:59 AM

Okay, I have had to think on this for a bit, because there was one thing that truly bothered me.

The way that Dean died.  I was mad.  Furiously mad.  He's been shot, stabbed, turned into a vampire, tortured in hell, was in Purgatory for a year... and he gets killed by a nail in the wall?

Then it hit me... he went out exactly like he thought he would.  On a hunt, saving people.  And that's exactly what happened.  They removed all the major threats, so only basic level monsters are left.  Eventually, their luck would run out.  And that DOES make it more believable.  I'm reminded of how Lt. Yar died on TNG.  It seemed quick and empty, but she died doing exactly what she was trained for... and her line of work is the most dangerous in Starfleet.  That made sense with her, and it made sense here.

I was crying.  A LOT of single man tears during this.  Dean's goodbye scene to Sam... waterworks, man.  Waterworks.

And it didn't stop there.  I was so thrilled to see Bobby again, sprung from Heaven's jail.  I've always had a soft spot for him.  And hearing Castiel was brought back was great to hear.  More tears there.

And I like what they did with Heaven... it's truly a place where everyone there can be together.  I was hoping to see Mary and John there, but the pandemic was the likely culprit for their absence.  Jack did real good, though, remaking it like that.

And Sam shutting down the Bunker for good... that was their home for half of the show's life.  Sad to see it gone.

I like the montage of Sam and his son, Dean.  All during "Carry On Wayward Son".  (Which at first, I was confused why it wasn't used during 'THE ROAD SO FAR'.  At least it was used, and a good chunk of the song, too.)

Bobby's explanation of time being different there is exactly what Dean said about his time in hell.  In that case, 40 years went by in those 4 Earth months.  It seems the reverse happens in heaven, given what we saw, and it makes sense if you think about it.  We always say "time flies when you're having fun."  And when bad things happen, it feels like a LOT longer than it really is.  So that was a nice bit of symmetry.

The boys got to be reunited in heaven.  It's a good reward for all they went through.  They more than deserved it.

My only real problem was that Dean died so very soon after their ultimate victory.  They couldn't enjoy it for a couple years at least before his death?  No matter how I try, I still cannot get past that.

With a show that has been on this long, and a fanbase as rabid as this, you are NOT going to get an ending that will please everyone.  The best you can hope for is something that serves the characters right, and I think this finale did.  It kept true to what we've seen before.

My biggest sadness is that we'll never get a reunion movie or special.  This was a FINAL finale.  But after 15 years, I can understand the guys wanting to hang their hunting shirts up for good.

A last thought...

This show has become such a huge part of me.  The amount of joy and fun I've had watching all these episodes all these years... really, 1/3 of my life... is incalculable.  It was one hell of a ride, and I will truly miss it.  No new episodes, but I have all the dvds, so I can catch them anytime I feel like I need to hop into Baby.

Thank you, SUPERNATURAL, for those endless moments of drama, escapism, thrills, action, comedy, fun... and most of all, a beautiful reminder of what matters most.  Family.

Carry on, my wayward son...

#12 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:40 AM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 21 November 2020 - 08:59 AM, said:

I was crying.  A LOT of single man tears during this.  Dean's goodbye scene to Sam... waterworks, man.  Waterworks.

It was Brothers in Arms that got me.   Now there is a song that will never be the same. :heart: :humble:

I have a question though.  When Sam was looking through Dean's room, they kept showing something on Dean's desk.  It looked like some kind of signed legal document?  Had Dean just updated his will or something???  :think:

SFG

(Ps, I need to catch up on my reviews.  I was away from my tv for a few weeks, and I am just about caught up on watching.  Now I need to catch up on reviews. :) )

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 23 November 2020 - 10:43 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#13 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:08 AM

It wasn't my dream finale, but I am happy with what we got.  Dean was always going to be a struggle to find an ending for - his "happily ever after" was never going to be settling down to civilian life as Sam's could be, and as long as Dean was around, he would continue to tie Sam to that life. Removing Dean from the board was one of the only ways I've ever been able to think of for getting them out of that cycle, and having him go out on a Season 1 style "something from Dad's journal" type of hunt worked well for that.

Sam's ending was a little hampered for me by the lack of showing his wife or a sense of his life outside of raising up a new little "Dean".  Seeing just those scenes in a vacuum made his life seem kind of empty... but I think if we adjust to assume that there is a rich, full life would work.

If I had my druthers, we'd have ended the series with them (FINALLY) rebuilding the men of letters and end with that big facility bustling with activity and surrounded by their extended hunter family... but the writers have refused to really build meaningfully on the potential of the Men of Letters concept since they were introduced in Season 8, so I guess I should have known they wouldn't suddenly shift to that approach this late in the game.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

^^  I agree about the Men of Letters. I've always loved that concept and that would have been a great legacy for the boys.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 23 November 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

I have a question though.  When Sam was looking through Dean's room, they kept showing something on Dean's desk.  It looked like some kind of signed legal document?  Had Dean just updated his will or something???  :think:    
I was expecting that to be something, too, but it was never addressed.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users