Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - S3, E6: "Scavengers"...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:15 AM

After receiving a message from Book, Burnham and Georgiou embark on a rogue mission to find him, leaving Saru to pick up the pieces with Admiral Vance. Meanwhile, Stamets forms an unexpected bond with Adira.

#2 zarkon

zarkon
  • Islander
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:08 AM

Loved this ep....

For sure seems like a transitional episode, getting all the gang (Book), so to speak back together, and Burnham kinda sorta getting set free  :piratebuds:

Found this perfect synopsis and review of the ep.

https://www.vulture....scavengers.html

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:18 AM

Great article.  I'm not finished reading it, but I had to take issue with this:

Is she wrong when she says, “The Federation cannot stabilize while the cause of the Burn remains a question”? Absolutely not!

Actually - maybe she IS wrong.  The arrival of a rapid response ship is a gamechanger that allows the Federation to do things that it couldn't before.  If they can sort the tech enough to upgrade it (and if Adira can upgrade the spore drive and get those pads off of Stamets), with some elbow grease they can create another spore drive ship and figure out how to have someone other than Stamets driving it. The inherent technical advantage that gives Starfleet is MORE than enough to stabilize the Federation without knowing what caused The Burn. I'm not convinced that this episode is meant to imply that this was an absolute necessity.  Rather it seems like Saving Book was an absolute necessity for Michael, which Georgiou points out, and which is born out in the episode.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 zarkon

zarkon
  • Islander
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:40 AM

Totally agree  

I cannot imagine that the future cannot reverse engineer the spore drive and make another one, which would be a game changer for sure.

I think the Burn thing is like a nice thread to keep things on the path invented in the writers room  :beer:

Of course it would be nice to have some idea what that was and how and why it happened, but another spore drive and not tied to anyone going forward seems like the smart move for the future.

I, of course am very jealous we cannot have spore drives now.   I hate waiting in traffic   LOL

#5 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Islander
  • 55 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 AM

I found it a little mystifying why starfleet didn't have all the top engineers crawling all over the discovery enginroom trying to figure it out or bombarding Stamets with questions. Even a quick shot of some people setting up a spore growth chamber on starfleet headquarters would have shown this in a straight forward way. The need to find the cause of the Burn feels a little contrived if an asteroid struck earth and killed half the population the human race would kind of get on with things and rebuild before obsessing over where the asteroid came from. I know the Burn probably wasn't a natural disaster and someone was responsible but seeing as no superpower has taken over in the ensuing power vacume it would not be that relevant to those just trying to get by day to day.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,229 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 AM

View PostDoppleganger, on 24 November 2020 - 05:00 AM, said:

The need to find the cause of the Burn feels a little contrived if an asteroid struck earth and killed half the population the human race would kind of get on with things and rebuild before obsessing over where the asteroid came from. I know the Burn probably wasn't a natural disaster and someone was responsible but seeing as no superpower has taken over in the ensuing power vacume it would not be that relevant to those just trying to get by day to day.

I think the idea is that they can't really feel safe using warp drive for non-essential purposes until they can be sure the Burn won't happen again.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users