#1 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 11:25 PM

LINK

Some highlights:

"Around the time of grammar school I had this incredible desire to be  recognized. Whenever I watched television or film I always put myself up there  on the screen and said, 'How would it be if people looked at me?' . . . At  that point, I didn't think about the money, I thought about the fame, about  just being the greatest. I was dreaming about being some dictator of a country  or some savior like Jesus. Just to be recognized."

-- Rolling Stone, June 3, 1976

"I will never attack (a political opponent). Why would I worry about  someone else? It's not my style."

-- The Chronicle, Aug. 21, 2003

"Bustamante is Gray Davis with a receding hairline and a mustache. It's the  same person, same philosophy."

-- The Chronicle, Aug. 27, 2003

"Yes, (I used) grass and hash -- no hard drugs. But the point is that I do  what I feel like doing. I'm not on a health kick. I know I should take  vitamins, for example, but I forget half the time."

-- Oui magazine, August 1977

"In 'Pumping Iron,' when you saw me getting stoned, it was all designed,  very thoroughly, to sell the idea of body building."

-- Rolling Stone, Jan. 17, 1985

"Never (did I use drugs) in my entire life. When I came to America, someone  gave me a drug like speed. He told me it would make me sharper and I'd lose  weight. But I lost muscle tone. I don't like that. I like to feel fully pumped.

I threw the pills away. Nor has anyone so much as smoked a joint when I was  there. Or sniffed coke. Or taken any drugs. In Hollywood, I have never seen  any drugs on the set or anywhere. It could be because people know me well  enough to know that I don't want anything like that."

-- Playboy, January 1988

"I used to feel that women were here for one reason. Sex was simply another  kind of exercise, another body function. My attitude about all that has  changed radically."

-- Autobiography, 1977

"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 11:35 PM

"Around the time of grammar school I had this incredible desire to be  recognized. Whenever I watched television or film I always put myself up there  on the screen and said, 'How would it be if people looked at me?' . . . At  that point, I didn't think about the money, I thought about the fame, about  just being the greatest. I was dreaming about being some dictator of a country  or some savior like Jesus. Just to be recognized."

So, in grammar school, he wanted attention? He wanted the admiration that went along with being a dictator without understanding the underlying social implications... when he was eight? And then he had the gall to be honest about it?  :sarcasm:

"I will never attack (a political opponent). Why would I worry about  someone else? It's not my style."

-- The Chronicle, Aug. 21, 2003

"Bustamante is Gray Davis with a receding hairline and a mustache. It's the  same person, same philosophy."

-- The Chronicle, Aug. 27, 2003

That one is a simple lie.

Yes, (I used) grass and hash -- no hard drugs. But the point is that I do  what I feel like doing. I'm not on a health kick. I know I should take  vitamins, for example, but I forget half the time."

-- Oui magazine, August 1977

"In 'Pumping Iron,' when you saw me getting stoned, it was all designed,  very thoroughly, to sell the idea of body building."

-- Rolling Stone, Jan. 17, 1985

"Never (did I use drugs) in my entire life. When I came to America, someone  gave me a drug like speed. He told me it would make me sharper and I'd lose  weight. But I lost muscle tone. I don't like that. I like to feel fully pumped.

I threw the pills away. Nor has anyone so much as smoked a joint when I was  there. Or sniffed coke. Or taken any drugs. In Hollywood, I have never seen  any drugs on the set or anywhere. It could be because people know me well  enough to know that I don't want anything like that."

-- Playboy, January 1988

He lied when he was 24ish. I can live with that, personally. I notice that the playboy quote is a contradiction, however; if he never took drugs in his entire life, how did he lose muscle tone?

"I used to feel that women were here for one reason. Sex was simply another  kind of exercise, another body function. My attitude about all that has  changed radically."

-- Autobiography, 1977

Is the man who is flawed and changes his ways worse than the man who started out noble? Isn't a lot of our society founded on the idea that people can and do change? He came to terms with this nearly three decades ago; that's enough for me.

Frankly, aside from the attack on Bustamante, this strikes me as a good thing. Clearly, Arnold was a very flawed man, and is trying to make amends. I have respect for that. :).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:04 AM

I only quoted a few.  All the quotes together and with the sexual preditory nature shows a man that has an intense need for attention and ego boasting.  It's all about him.  If he becomes governor and the real work begins he will not be able to play like he is used to doing.  Already Arnold wants to make changes to the pay my husband makes (who is technically a state employee as a UCSC employee) He already makes a third less than the private sector and is raising four kids on it.  There is no more room to cut back.

I don't get it Rov, if this stuff was done and said by Clinton he would be crucified now.  How come it is okay if it is Arnie.  And don't think for a minute he is trying to make amends.

He says is like the common man, common my a$$.  Common if you live in the Hollywood Hills.

I agree with what the Oakland Tribune said "a pattern of recurring abuse and boorish behavior that in different circumstances could have led to assault charges."

If McClintock were ahead, I wouldn't be exactly thrilled, but I wouldn't be freaked as I am with Arnold in the lead.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#4 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:34 AM

I understand Arnold is a really bad man who would just drive the stae into a finacal quagmire that would take years to dig out of.... Wait that already happened and the guy doign it is the ever wonderful Guy"Frugal"Davis and has the help of his buddy Busta"I am not a WHITE racist"mantie and the rest rest of the Democratic party in the state.

I may be mistaken but are both of  legislative houses controlsed by the Democrats and if so for how long?
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#5 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 01:17 AM

I only quoted a few.  All the quotes together and with the sexual preditory nature shows a man that has an intense need for attention and ego boasting.

Well, which do you consider most damning? I'd rather address only the ones that are at contention...

It's all about him.  If he becomes governor and the real work begins he will not be able to play like he is used to doing.  Already Arnold wants to make changes to the pay my husband makes (who is technically a state employee as a UCSC employee) He already makes a third less than the private sector and is raising four kids on it.  There is no more room to cut back.

That's a policy issue, of course, on which there can be legitimate disagreements. The quotes that started this thread has anything to do with it.

I don't get it Rov, if this stuff was done and said by Clinton he would be crucified now.  How come it is okay if it is Arnie.

You're right; Clinton would be crucified.

The bottom line is this: Many conservatives (not most, but enough) like to talk big about morals, and adore it when the other side commits an oops. I think it's fair to say that, on average, liberals care far less so a Republican is likely to get away with more. It is hypocrisy. As for my part, I never cared about his consensual sex; it was the other issues that bothered me. As I can't and wouldn't vote for Arnold anyway, I honestly can't say whether his past sexual harassment charges would be enough to change my vote.

And don't think for a minute he is trying to make amends.

Neither of us can know the content of his heart. However, I believe him. His community service record has been exemplary long before he had political aspirations.

He says is like the common man, common my a$$.  Common if you live in the Hollywood Hills.

He came over a poor immigrant with virtually no friends here looking for a land of opportunity. Decades later, he has millions of dollars, a wife, kids, success, fame, and is able to help those less fortunate. If that's not America, I don't know what is.

I agree with what the Oakland Tribune said "a pattern of recurring abuse and boorish behavior that in different circumstances could have led to assault charges."

It's possible. Until, however, Arnold is actually brought up on legal changes that's merely speculation.

If McClintock were ahead, I wouldn't be exactly thrilled, but I wouldn't be freaked as I am with Arnold in the lead.

I'd definitely be happier if McClintock was in the lead. I think he's the best case scenario for California. However, I don't think Arnold is the worst. :).

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 01:43 AM

Arnold quotes:

I'm just pulling out the ones that interested me most.

"I always kind of looked down on people who just did the regular thing. Like the guys (who) started smoking when they were 11 years old, I was the first to say, 'No good.' You know, I felt this was for the untermensch -- you know, the low class."

Good for him. Said in 1976, long before it mattered politically.

"The guys who own the most real estate in Los Angeles are Europeans. There are people coming over from Yugoslavia with hardly any money . . . A friend of mine came over from Czechoslovakia in '68 and he now owns four apartment buildings. Americans are still sitting on their asses waiting for it. Europeans are hungry because we don't have that much. You're over there and you see a guy can have ten dollars one day and $100,000 five years later."
-- Time Out magazine, Dec. 10, 1977 .

I think at the time this statement made a lot of sense.  It's also surprisingly insightful for 'just' a bodybuilder.

"America is so money-oriented. (Thank God! It's always helped me!) But it has its disadvantages because the psychiatrists know their business doesn't mean a thing if there are no sick people around, and so they make everybody feel guilty. You know, all New York City is running to a psychiatrist. All America thinks it has sexual hang ups. Everybody's running to shrinks."
-- Time Out, Dec. 10, 1977

I don't see how *anybody* can disagree with that.

"Americans . . . equate everything a person does with some sexual trip . . .
You know, if you hold a pencil in your hand, it's a phallic symbol . . . And a football coach doesn't really want to be a coach, he likes to slap football players' asses . . . he's a latent homosexual. And it goes on and on and on . .
."
-- Time Out, Dec. 10, 1977

I think that's actually diminished somewhat; however, I think within the context of the time, he was right.

"Sometimes (press freedom) gets carried away at the expense of the country. I'm very sensitive about this, because when I lived in Germany I occasionally listened to the East German radio. They don't quote their own journalists: They only quote American and Western journalists and use your material against you. Like how money corrupts people, how the American political system doesn't work, and how Watergate was covered up and how Nixon was involved . . .
"If there's a problem within a political system, I feel it should be solved in the same way as a problem within a marriage: In the privacy of your own four walls. You don't go out and tell your neighbors and the press and everybody."
-- Penthouse, December 1981

That's VERY interesting and provocative. And this man is supposed to be dumb?

"Lenin was not as evil. He was just in the right place at the right time. But Stalin was evil. He was a dictator beyond belief. There were questions of who was more evil, Hitler or him. . . . Saddam didn't start anything great. But Lenin started communism and the whole Karl Marx thing. He started something that lasted 70-something years

I think there's some validity to that, assuming 'not as evil' is comparing Lenin to Stalin.

"All the crime that is committed in America, including assassination attempts, leads back to the basic fact that we have too liberal a legal system.
. . . I mean, they're thinking of letting Sirhan Sirhan out of prison soon. Can you imagine the guy who killed Robert Kennedy running around the streets? The whole system sucks. For a guy like that, the punishment should be immediate death."
-- Penthouse, December 1981

Yowch. I disagree, but it's certainly a legit point of view. This guy is no dummy.

"Outlawing guns is not the right method of eliminating the problem. If you outlaw guns, people will still have them illegally. In Europe, they're outlawed everywhere. They have very strict gun control in Italy. Yet the pope was shot. They have very strict gun control in Germany. Yet you see pimps shooting one another. Politicians have been shot in Sweden and Holland, where guns are outlawed. I don't know how you handle this. I'm no expert."  Playboy, January 1988

Again, this sounds good.

"As far as I'm concerned, it (movie violence) doesn't influence people. I watched violent movies all my life and it had no influence on me. Something on the screen doesn't turn a person into a killer unless there's something already wrong with him. . . . Presidents were shot before Reagan and Kennedy, before there was television or radio. You can't say what puts a crazy idea in a crazy mind. It's easier to blame a movie rather than to blame yourself. Which is what parents are doing."
-- Playboy, January 1988

A politician endorsing personal responsibility? I can dig it.

"I hate pants. This is something I have inherited from my father. He despised pants, and my mother was never allowed to wear them at home. We're talking about a different time period now, when the man was much more the ruler of the house. But I still feel that way, and neither my mother nor Maria is allowed to go out with me in pants."
-- Playboy, January 1988

I certainly hope *that* has changed.

It's a good read; check out the whole thing.

If anything, I find that it lends support to Arnold, at least from my standpoint. Some of these quotes are no doubt invalidated, however, by decades of separation.

The bottom line though is that this man appears to have a strong brain and I believe he has good intentions; I respect that.

EDIT: Let me use the standard "Read it for yourself" refrain; don't count on GiGi or me to tell you the whole truth. Check it out for yourself!

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 05 October 2003 - 01:50 AM.

#7 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 02:19 AM

Gigi:
I don't get it Rov, if this stuff was done and said by Clinton he would be crucified now. How come it is okay if it is Arnie. And don't think for a minute he is trying to make amends.

I know Clinton was just the international paradigm for honesty and goodness in the world!  He would have never said anything as boneheaded as Arnold of course…

“I experimented with marijuana a time or two. And I didn't like it, and didn't inhale, and never tried it again."
- Bill Clinton
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman!!!!!"
- Bill Clinton (1998)
“Everybody knows that I have tougher ethics rules than any previous president.”
- Bill Clinton
"It is a disgrace to the American people that the President of the United States would make a claim that is so baseless, that is so without foundation, so shameless..." -- Presidental Candidate Clinton
"I want an America where family values live in our actions, not just in our speeches.”
- Bill Clinton(1992) (I guess the Oval Office doesn’t count)
"I want to say one thing to the American People. I want you to listen to me. I'm gonna say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie. Not a single time. Never. These allegations are false."
- Bill Clinton
"If a President of the United States ever lied to the American people he should resign." Bill Clinton
- Bill Clinton
"When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans...And so a lot of people say there's too much personal freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it. That's what we did in the announcement I made last weekend on the public housing projects, about how we're going to have weapon sweeps and more things like that to try to make people safer in their communities."
- Bill Clinton
"The road to tyranny, we must never forget, begins with the destruction of the truth."
- Bill Clinton
Now for the kicker….
“I William Jefferson Clinton do solemnly swear…”

Of course we all know how the press went after Clinton so hard that they forced him to resign just like he said a president who lies should...   :blink:

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 05 October 2003 - 02:21 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#8 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:54 AM

Ah yes, the old "If it were X, then you'd all have Y reaction" line... doesn't need to come anywhere near the truth, doesn't need to consider the differences that might lead to the different results even if it WERE the truth because its whole point is to imply that the two are completely identical, and just gets thrown out as an insulting substitute for a real point.

And Rov, it's not a case of hypocrisy. Even if your generalization were an accurate one (which I don't believe it would turn out to be if we examined details of examples), it wouldn't matter to this case, because what's happening in California right now has nothing to do with conservatives and liberals. Liberals run that state and no conservative politician would win anything because there aren't conservative voters. Arnold's a moderate at most, and his support doesn't particularly come from either side of that spectrum, but is there for unrelated reasons. His poll numbers are far lower outside of that state, where it does become more of a matter of conservatism and liberalism, because conservatives are annoyed by quotes like these and by the fact that every time he opens his mouth another suggestion for a spending program pops out while he avoids answering most policy questions by responding with applause-line tag lines from rally speeches instead.

#9 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 11:21 AM

Good points Delvo.

Rov, I never said Arnold was stupid.  I don't believe he is.  I do believe that he has such a narcissist personality that he would not make a good politician.  It is all about him getting glory, not about working hard and untangling the mess Calif is in. (which by the way is the mess the whole country is in).  This is what is frightening to me.  As soon as things get tough he could lose his cool.  That is what I see in the quotes.

This one "'No good.' You know, I felt this was for the untermensch -- you know, the low class."  Shows me that he has a classest outlook.  That is the attitude that treats people of the "lower class" like sh*t.  

The one about the pants is true even for today.

CJ, I don't deny those things that Clinton did lost me a lot of respect for him as a person.  His personal life was a mess, but he still knew how to meet with leaders of the other countries of the world and do well.  Outside of the US Clinton is loved as a leader.  So, yah, I wish he wouldn't have lied, but on the political front he did well in my book .  Arnold has no experience at all in politics, only one-liners from his movies, oh and the idea to cut pay for workers who already are at the edge of being able to live in Calif due to the high cost of living here, these workers are the ones who keep Calif functioning.  The one thing I agree with him on is the Workers Comp situation, that does need to change.  

I found myself agreeing completely with the author of this Chronicle article that came out this morning.  She was able to say what I am thinking very well.  So instead of retyping her words I will add a LINK and a couple of quotes.

Schwarzenegger's attitude about women seems right in line with his attitude  about his beloved Hummers. The Hummer is bad for the environment and dangerous  to other cars on the road, but too bad. Screw everybody else. He'll do what  feels good to him, ignoring the effects on others -- or worse, taking delight  in his power over them. This, I would argue, is the most disturbing aspect  about the accounts of Schwarzenegger's behavior: He seemed to take pleasure in  the women's embarrassment and discomfort.

Some might say there is hypocrisy among those who supported Bill Clinton as  president and now are ripping into Schwarzenegger. For the record, I ripped  into Clinton, too. But there is a difference here. Clinton's two confirmed  affairs, with Gennifer Flowers and Monica Lewinsky, were consensual. The  relationships don't speak well for Clinton's morals or self-restraint, but  they also do not suggest disrespect for women.

When I look at the field of candidates, should Gov. Gray Davis be recalled  on Tuesday, I understand why people are so desperately trying to make a case  for Schwarzenegger. Picking the best candidate among this group is like  choosing a date from the bar scene in Star Wars

#10 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 11:40 AM

Well, he's either stupid or shortsighted, he never thought that these comments would be brought up, even though he knows that this kind of infomation is is ALWAYS brought about election candidates. But in any event, he's still ahead in the polls, so if anything this infomation cmae out alittle too late to make a difference. And in any event, what's important is where he stands on the issues at hand, and how well he handles the job, because unless there's a MAJOR shakeup he'll win the election. :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#11 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 11:47 AM

Gigi: His personal life was a mess, but he still knew how to meet with leaders of the other countries of the world and do well.

Actually you know I’m amazed I didn’t think to bring this up earlier.  Since Arnold is so under attack for his reported views on women how does that make him any different than Clinton apparently behaved?  Clinton just happened to be so slick that he was coated in axle grease.  I like how your sotry uses the qualifier of “confirmed” affairs to cover Clinton’s hindquarters.        

Gigi: Outside of the US Clinton is loved as a leader.

Well I’m sure he has very high popularity in China for selling them our nuclear secrets.  Nothing like getting generations worth of boost in technology for being able to make you nuclear arsenal capable of destroying the United States.  Then there was the fact that he just fought terrorism by flinging a few cruise missiles here or there and then shoving the problem under the rug for someone else to get bit in the butt.  You know I bet he is popular in North Korea for following an appeasement policy that allowed North Korea to build nuclear weapons in secret.  I’m sure he is very popular with Saddam Hussein right now for just bombing him once in awhile in fitful stints compared to Bush who ousted his rear.  I’m sure Clinton was popular in Europe for pushing ahead on then Kyoto Accord, which would have hampered the US for generations to come when the source of Global Warming isn’t even clear.  I’m sure the Clinton Administration was popular in Somalia when they allowed them to have the advantages that led to them surrounding and attempting to massacre US forces in the Battle of the Black Sea.

Comrade Clinton is popular in the rest of the world not because he was a good leader in the US but because he was slick and screwed the National Security of the United States whenever he had the chance.  

Gigi: So, yah, I wish he wouldn't have lied, but on the political front he did well in my book .

Somalia, North Korea, China, Bosnia, Kosovo, and the failure to combat terrorism…  I’d hate to see what a failure on the political front would have been.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#12 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 11:52 AM

every time he opens his mouth another suggestion for a spending program pops out while he avoids answering most policy questions by responding with applause-line tag lines from rally speeches instead.

There was a recall debate last night, which I partly listened to. Naturally, Arnold didn't show up, because he's only deigned to do one debate, and that one was a circus in which he and Arianna Huffington shouted over each other like morons. Anyway, I noticed that Cruz Bustamante's answer to everything was yet another spending program, so he's no better.

Also, Arnold goes on about how he'll make hydrogen cars a reality in California. Excuse me, does no one understand how dangerous those could be? Does no one remember the HINDENBURG going boom?

I do believe that he has such a narcissist personality that he would not make a good politician. It is all about him getting glory, not about working hard and untangling the mess Calif is in.

That is *exactly* my major problem with him. He's such a narcissist, he wants the glory, the people cheering him, and I really fear that he's *not* in it to improve California. The impression I get with McClintock is that he's more worried about the state California is in, and ways to help it recover, than he is about personal glory.

This one "'No good.' You know, I felt this was for the untermensch -- you know, the low class." Shows me that he has a classest outlook.

Not just classist. That creeps me out, because the Nazis were very into being the ubermensch, over and above all the untermensch (which tended to be Jews, Gypsies, inconvenient "little" people like that).

The one about the pants is true even for today.

Yeah... I'm so sorry if men don't like women who wear pants. You can meet me and see how much I care. ;) I prefer to cover myself in public and not show off my body -- though I do show my hair (except when I wear hats), so don't quite go to Islamic extremes. It's my choice if I wish to practice modesty.

Outside of the US Clinton is loved as a leader.

Oh yes... I have a New Zealander friend who thinks that Clinton was *great* -- and Bush terrifies him, but then, he terrifies some Americans, too...

Since Arnold is so under attack for his reported views on women how does that make him any different than Clinton apparently behaved?

No difference at all, in my view. I know women who adore both of them. Neither of them interest me in the least, because I think they're asses. ;)

Edited by Norville, 05 October 2003 - 11:56 AM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#13 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:02 PM

That is *exactly* my major problem with him. He's such a narcissist, he wants the glory, the people cheering him, and I really fear that he's *not* in it to improve California. The impression I get with McClintock is that he's more worried about the state California is in, and ways to help it recover, than he is about personal glory.

Not only that but it gets worse.  I just found this.

ARNOLD UNPLUGGED
It's hasta la vista to $9 billion if the Governator is selected

by Greg Palast
Friday October 3, 2003

It's not what Arnold Schwarzenegger did to the girls a decade back that should raise an eyebrow.  According to a series of memoranda our office obtained today, it's his dalliance with the boys in a hotel room just two years ago that's the real scandal.

The wannabe governor has yet to deny that on May 17, 2001, at the Peninsula Hotel in Los Angeles, he had consensual political intercourse with Enron chieftain Kenneth Lay.  Also frolicking with Arnold and Ken was convicted stock swindler Mike Milken.

Now, thirty-four pages of internal Enron memoranda have just come through this reporter's fax machine tell all about the tryst between Maria's husband and the corporate con men.  It turns out that Schwarzenegger knowingly joined the hush-hush encounter as part of a campaign to sabotage a Davis-Bustamante plan to make Enron and other power pirates then ravaging California pay back the $9 billion in illicit profits they carried off.

Here's the story Arnold doesn't want you to hear.  The biggest single threat to Ken Lay and the electricity lords is a private lawsuit filed last year under California's unique Civil Code provision 17200, the "Unfair Business Practices Act."  This litigation, heading to trial now in Los Angeles, would make the power companies return the $9 billion they filched from California electricity and gas customers.

It takes real cojones to bring such a suit.  Who's the plaintiff taking on the bad guys?  Cruz Bustamante, Lieutenant Governor and reluctant leading candidate against Schwarzenegger.

Now follow the action.  One month after Cruz brings suit, Enron's Lay calls an emergency secret meeting in L.A. of his political buck-buddies, including Arnold.  Their plan, to undercut Davis (according to Enron memos) and "solve" the energy crisis -- that is, make the Bustamante legal threat go away.

How can that be done?  Follow the trail with me.

While Bustamante's kicking Enron butt in court, the Davis Administration is simultaneously demanding that George Bush's energy regulators order the $9 billion refund.   Don't hold your breath: Bush's Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is headed by a guy proposed by . Ken Lay.

But Bush's boys on the commission have a problem.  The evidence against the electricity barons is rock solid:  fraudulent reporting of sales transactions, megawatt "laundering," fake power delivery scheduling and straight out conspiracy (including meetings in hotel rooms).

So the Bush commissioners cook up a terrific scheme:  charge the companies with conspiracy but offer them, behind closed doors, deals in which they have to pay only two cents on each dollar they filched.

Problem:  the slap-on-the-wrist refunds won't sail if the Governor of California won't play along.  Solution:  Re-call the Governor.

New Problem:  the guy most likely to replace Davis is not Mr. Musclehead, but Cruz Bustamante,  even a bigger threat to the power companies than Davis.  Solution:  smear Cruz  because -- heaven forbid! he took donations from Injuns (instead of Ken Lay).

The pay-off?  Once Arnold is Governor, he blesses the sweetheart settlements with the power companies.  When that happens, Bustamante's court cases are probably lost.  There aren't many judges who will let a case go to trial to protect a state if that a governor has already allowed the matter to be "settled" by a regulatory agency.

So think about this.  The state of California is in the hole by $8 billion for the coming year.  That's chump change next to the $8 TRILLION in deficits and surplus losses planned and incurred by George Bush.  Nevertheless, the $8 billion deficit is the hanging rope California's right wing is using to lynch Governor Davis.

Yet only Davis and Bustamante are taking direct against to get back the $9 billion that was vacuumed out of the state by Enron, Reliant, Dynegy, Williams Company and the other Texas bandits who squeezed the state by the bulbs.

But if Arnold is selected, it's 'hasta la vista' to the $9 billion. When the electricity emperors whistle, Arnold comes -- to the Peninsula Hotel or the Governor's mansion.  The he-man turns pussycat and curls up in their lap.

I asked Mr. Muscle's PR people to comment on the new Enron memos -- and his strange silence on Bustamante's suit or Davis' petition.  But Arnold was too busy shaving off his Hitlerian mustache to respond.

To receive more of Greg's investigative reports click here:
<http://www.gregpalas...com/contact.cfm

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:20 PM

Delvo:

And Rov, it's not a case of hypocrisy. Even if your generalization were an accurate one (which I don't believe it would turn out to be if we examined details of examples

I think there's a significiant portion of partisans in this case. I do think that if Arnold was a democrat, he'd be getting far more harassment on this angle from the far right.  Could be wrong. :).

I do believe that he has such a narcissist personality that he would not make a good politician. It is all about him getting glory, not about working hard and untangling the mess Calif is in. (which by the way is the mess the whole country is in). This is what is frightening to me. As soon as things get tough he could lose his cool. That is what I see in the quotes.

I'd disagree with the 'whole country' situation; one of California's main problems is entitlement programs for illegal immigrants, something much of the nation doesn't have to deal with nearly as much.  As for the rest, it's possible, sure.

This one "'No good.' You know, I felt this was for the untermensch -- you know, the low class." Shows me that he has a classest outlook. That is the attitude that treats people of the "lower class" like sh*t.

I'd disagree. The difference is that he's judging people based on actions. He's just saying that teen smoking is a really, really, bad idea.

Some might say there is hypocrisy among those who supported Bill Clinton as  president and now are ripping into Schwarzenegger. For the record, I ripped  into Clinton, too. But there is a difference here. Clinton's two confirmed  affairs, with Gennifer Flowers and Monica Lewinsky, were consensual. The  relationships don't speak well for Clinton's morals or self-restraint, but  they also do not suggest disrespect for women.

That's spin; say it with me people: Paula Jones. He did settle, right? Further, *any* affair shows disrespect for women.

I don't see any of this affecting Arnold's chances on Tuesday.

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:27 PM

GiGi-- It's an interesting story, and one I'm not familar with.

Do you have the story from a more credible cite? Apologies, but that article sounds hopelessly partisan. "Hitlerian moustache" indeed.

#16 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:44 PM

Rov, I had heard bits and pieces of this story throughout the last year, so although this is not new, I have not seen the dots connected in such a clear manner.  Arnold did have that meeting with Ken Lay, it was in the news.

I don't know what to say, Rov, in a thread in this forum folks got incensed with the idea of a swastika at a high school game. Look closely there are so many warning bells in what Arnold says, what he does, the kinds of movies he makes.  He may not be a Nazi by word, but some deeds are way to close for my comfort, way too close.

And I am speaking as a Democrat who would easily have McClintock as Governor any day, ANY DAY over the "Predator"

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:45 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 5 2003, 05:20 PM, said:

I think there's a significiant portion of partisans in this case. I do think that if Arnold was a democrat, he'd be getting far more harassment on this angle from the far right.  Could be wrong. :).
Let's see Rush  Limbaugh or Fox meanwhile If  he were a democrate he would handed praise by the boatload from ABC CBS NBC CNN and a News paper like the LA Times.

Though to be fair they would print the stories about his being accused and confessons on page 29 of the Home and Garden section of the paper right below the Correction's area.  Not to say that they would not report the story they just would make sure it was never read.

It may be too general a statement for some but from my corner general does not make it wrong.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#18 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:54 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 5 2003, 09:27 AM, said:

GiGi-- It's an interesting story, and one I'm not familar with.

Do you have the story from a more credible cite?
Here are more articles from other sources -
California Rip-off revisited

Perspectives on Recall: Schwarzenegger and Ken Lay Meeting (consumerwatchdog.org

Some Eye opening facts (truthout)

Press Release about the suit filed by Bustemente

I am sure there are more, I found these with a quick Google search

#19 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 01:01 PM

WOW he met a CEO two year before running for office. and before the company had any reports of fincal trouble. What next that he was born in Austria like Hitler was.  Why not make fun of the fact he cannot speak English proper.

Basically we know you are not voting for Arnold becasue Guy Davis is a great guy who will not spend you further into debt and those evil Republicans would just be spending the cash hand over fist  (Even thought the Democrats run both houses and have control those same purse strings)

TANSTAAFL

#20 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 01:11 PM

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but...

...going after Arnold for dumb things he said in his 20s just feels wrong to me.  I mean, isn't that what being in your twenties is all about?  I know I said and did a lot of things in my younger days that I really wouldn't want to be held against me, and it seems pretty clear that Arnold isn't a fan of Hitler or his policies and realizes that expressing admiration for the man's undeniable talent at working a crowd was not a real bright thing to say.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to beat up on Arnold (his inexperience, his ridiculous assertion that California's budget can be balanced without cutting education or raising taxes, the circle of advisors he's surrounded himself with, and yes, his history of mistreatment toward women and subordinates in general).  But this one just feels like dirty pool.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users