#1 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:14 PM

Schwarzenegger: Total Amnesia?

Enron E-Mails Show Arnold Met With Ken Lay During Energy Crisis

Santa Monica, CA --Internal Enron e-mails confirm that Arnold Schwarzenegger was among a small group of executives who met with Lay at the posh Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel in May of 2001, in the midst of California's energy crisis. View the e-mails.  The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights, which obtained the e-mails, is calling on Schwarzenegger to acknowledge the meetings and disclose the information that was presented and discussed. The meeting with Enron occurred ten days after rolling blackouts darkened California for two consecutive days; Schwarzenegger has previously said that he does not remember such a meeting. 

"You don't meet with America's most well-known corporate crook in the middle of California's biggest financial disaster and not remember," said FTCR's senior consumer advocate Douglas Heller.  "Mr. Schwarzenegger should come clean about what happened at that meeting and if he shares Ken Lay's views on energy regulation."

Okay, if it is no big deal why has Arnie conveniently forgotten about it?

The documents provide a list of invitees to the hastily arranged meeting and a list of those who actually attended.  Only eleven of the 45 invitees attended, including Schwarzenegger.  The meeting was meant to be an opportunity to gain business community support for Enron's "comprehensive solution" to the energy crisis.  In one e-mail, Enron's VP of Public Relations wrote:  "We'd like to position this meeting as an insider's conversation of what's going on with the energy situation.  This meeting should be for principals only." (emphasis in original)

FTCR contends that Enron policies were responsible for the severe energy crisis California faced in 2000 and 2001.  The group noted that the crisis had dramatic implications on the state economy and state budget and will continue to impact consumers for years to come.  FTCR has called for a repeal of the deregulation and supported SB 888 (Dunn) to re-regulate the state's electricity system.  FTCR has been critical of Enron's involvement in the California energy crisis, in which the company developed schemes for manipulating the power market that forced massive price spikes in the state.

"Since it was apparently important enough for Schwarzenegger to attend despite the last minute notice, Schwarzenegger should now explain what happened at his meeting with Enron's Ken Lay and whether or not he supports electricity re-regulation," said Heller.

Link to story, this page also has links to copies of the Enron emails

The source, FTCR is a non-partisan, nonprofit organization.  FTCR does not support or oppose candidates for office and takes no position on the California recall.

California got screwed up the butt in this energy fiasco that STARTED with Pete Wilson, was Arnie part of this orgy too?!

edited to fix a quote

Edited by GiGi, 06 October 2003 - 01:15 PM.

"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:26 PM

We can just add this to the long list of events Arnie can't recall. Perhaps we should worry about early senility?  :angel:

That is, BTW, a might interesting list of attendees and invitees. Perhaps the attendees are slightly more telling, but all in all.....   :eek2:

Edited by Rhea, 06 October 2003 - 01:31 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:32 PM

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Hmmm, I was going to say something about following in Reagan's footsteps... but that would be mean wouldn't it?

:devil:
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:21 PM

Well, I don't support Arnold, but I think this is no big deal because...

Oops, force of habit.

This is rather important, and I am curious why it hasn't gotten more media play. Given how much the media loves a corporate scandal (there's nothing easier to cover than Big Bad Corporation takes advantage of the Little People), I'd think this would be far huger than it is.

I think we have to wait to see what Arnold does with this once he's governor. If he does in fact put the interests of Enron over California... why, then you'll just have to recall him. :devil:.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:41 PM

^No problem.  :p :p  (Is anybody else reminded of the Calif. government in Heinlein's Friday with its craziness and constant recalls?)
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:42 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 6 2003, 12:21 PM, said:

Oops, force of habit.
ROTFLMAO!  :p
- Robert A. Heinlein

#7 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:44 PM

I don't know why there isn't press coverage...

<mmmumble>coverup</mmmumble>

I think we have to wait to see what Arnold does with this once he's governor. If he does in fact put the interests of Enron over California... why, then you'll just have to recall him. .

Capital idea Rov, capital idea. Want to get paid to collect signatures...see the beautiful Monterey Bay while you are at it?

:hehe:

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:51 PM

Rhea, on Oct 6 2003, 12:42 PM, said:

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 6 2003, 12:21 PM, said:

Oops, force of habit.
ROTFLMAO!  :p
:angel:

I don't know why there isn't press coverage...

<mmmumble>coverup</mmmumble>

I don't think it's that simple. The LA Times would love for Arnold to lose this election, as would much of the media. If they're willing to drag out far more silly stuff, why leave this story untouched? If it's available to your average internet user, it can't be much of a cover-up in teh first place.

Capital idea Rov, capital idea. Want to get paid to collect signatures...see the beautiful Monterey Bay while you are at it?

:lol:. That would be excellent. Although I've always feared that if I cross the California border to do anything remotely political, some sort of divine power would cause me to burst into flames.

Call it a hunch. :cool:
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:56 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 6 2003, 12:51 PM, said:

:lol:. That would be excellent. Although I've always feared that if I cross the California border to do anything remotely political, some sort of divine power would cause me to burst into flames.

Call it a hunch. :cool:
Nonsense. :p :p You might either get a tan or wind up staying, though.  ;)
- Robert A. Heinlein

#10 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 04:24 PM

I'm not sure I fully understand what these accusations are, but I was hoping this thread is just a joke. Because next step is proving that Schwarzenegger is the driving force behind the Monika Levinsky scandal   :Oo:

BTW-If he gets elected, does this mean everybody has to be able to spell his name? I can see why the press dislikes him, it's a good thing we have the threads titles to copy from ;)
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#11 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 06:49 PM

I think we have to wait to see what Arnold does with this once he's governor. If he does in fact put the interests of Enron over California... why, then you'll just have to recall him. :devil:.

I'm going to sign that recall petition. :wideeyed:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#12 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 07:55 PM

Enmar, it is a long story.  I version of it that I posted is in this thread - http://www.exisle.ne...=14&t=8210&st=0

Look for my post about eight down. The article that I posted is titled "Arnold unplugged"

Some folks thought it read too much like an opinion piece and wanted more proof, so hence this thread.

But it basically connects the dots on the rip off of California because of a manufactured "Energy Crisis" that put our energy bills through the roof (and are still through the roof)  The whole thing started with deregulation when Republican Pete Wilson was in office.  

Go give it a read and let me know if you have any other questions.  It is very serious stuff in my book.

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 08:31 PM

Somehow I don’t count a Constitutional violation by an elected public official as a “hoot”.  The attempts by California/Bustamante/Davis to undermine The United States Constitution will hopefully shot right down once the issue gets out of the Looney 9th Circuit.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 06 October 2003 - 08:32 PM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#14 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 08:46 PM

CJ, I was referring to other things in your post.

I don't know much about the interstate laws etc, etc, etc, but I did post a link to the lawyer who is co-filing (is that a term) web page.

Perhaps there is more information there as to why they filed the suit.

Edit to add - this is the link by Assemblywoman, Barbara Matthews, it was she who filed a lawsuit, not a lawyer (unless she was a lawyer before being a politician) - http://eastbay.bizjo...editorial2.html

Edited by GiGi, 06 October 2003 - 09:07 PM.

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 09:23 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Oct 6 2003, 06:31 PM, said:

The attempts by California/Bustamante/Davis to undermine The United States Constitution will hopefully shot right down once the issue gets out of the Looney 9th Circuit.
Erm...

what attempts?

Lil
Posted Image

#16 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 09:53 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 7 2003, 02:23 AM, said:

Erm...

what attempts?
Sigh  This was supposed to be in the other thread about the same topic but I messed them up. ;)

The Enron power deals that Bustamante is attempting to fight in court involve transmitting power across the border.  That would fall under the auspices of interstate commerce rather than California law.  Yet Bustamante is attempting to go after Enron through the Court System using a California law.  If this is a matter of interstate commerce then California has no say over regulating it.  It is the same unconstitutional nonsense that I hear Bustamante is up to when he claims he’ll get legislation passed to regulate the price of gasoline.  It is a violation of the Constitution for states to meddle in Interstate Commerce.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 10:00 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhhh a subject matter jurisdiction issue!

Cool.

I have no idea what arguments have been made on both sides but I seem to recollect that it's not quite as black and white as you're making it out to be...

Lil
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users