96 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:00 PM

Votes are now officially being counted.

NBC news has called the race, saying that Davis was recalled and Arnold will be the new governor.

EDIT: Obviously, they did this based on exit polling. We'll see how accurate it is.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 07 October 2003 - 10:03 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:05 PM

How long will it take for us to get the final results?
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:06 PM

Amazing.

The polls have been closed for what, 3 minutes, there is about 60% turnout and therefore a LOT of counting to do, and NBC has "called it".

Have I mentioned how irresponsible I think news coverage on election days is?

*not that I necessarily think they're wrong*

Rov what did they say about the two propositions?

I voted no on both.

Lil
Posted Image

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:07 PM

^

Final final? Constitution allows for it to take weeks.

We should know the results, however, within eight hours or so, I would think. I've never really monitored a CA election before...

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:08 PM

Josh, on Oct 7 2003, 11:05 PM, said:

How long will it take for us to get the final results?
About 18 months, that should give them enough time to count all the hanging chads. :lol:  :lol:

Seriously though, we should by sometime tomorrow, I would have to think. :suspect:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:09 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 8 2003, 03:06 AM, said:

Amazing.

The polls have been closed for what, 3 minutes, there is about 60% turnout and therefore a LOT of counting to do, and NBC has "called it".

Have I mentioned how irresponsible I think news coverage on election days is?

*not that I necessarily think they're wrong*

Rov what did they say about the two propositions?

I voted no on both.

Lil
Not that it means anything-but CNN has also called Arnold the new governor.

Good luck to the folks in California.

And I wonder how many people will move out of the state because of it. Gigi certainly was looking at the possibility.

:whatsthat:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 07 October 2003 - 10:10 PM.

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:09 PM

Ooh, looks like they've already started updating. With 1.3% reporting in, Arnie is ahead... somewhat unsurprisingly. ;)

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:10 PM

Official early results (mostly absente ballots):

With 1.3% of the precincts reporting,  92,053 voted yes; 53,200 voted no. That's 63.4% to 36.6%

61% have voted for Arnold; 24% for Bustamante.

I imagine, though, that the absentee ballots will favour Arnold, as they were cast before all the dirt came out.

#9 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:11 PM

Considering the early return on the Propositions, it'll be interesting to see what the results are...

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:12 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 7 2003, 08:10 PM, said:

Official early results (mostly absente ballots):

With 1.3% of the precincts reporting,  92,053 voted yes; 53,200 voted no. That's 63.4% to 36.6%
Yes on what?

The recall?

One of the propositions?

:wideeyed:
Posted Image

#11 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:14 PM

Vapor Trails, on Oct 7 2003, 07:09 PM, said:

Gigi certainly was looking at the possibility.

:whatsthat:
I am talking to my Mother-in-law in Oregon as I type.  I have an open invitation from her  to come up there!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:15 PM

Lil-- The recall. My bad, I was too focused on that to post the rest. The props are pretty close, so far.

#13 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:20 PM

Almost 2% of the votes in:

Recall: Yes, 53.7%
No: 46.3%

Arnold: 52%
Bustamante: 31%
McClintock: 10%

Prop 54: Yes, 41.7%
No, 58.3%

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:21 PM

3.6%

Yes on recall: 52%

Arnold: 50%
Bustamente: 32%

Prop 53 (Finance): Yes 34%
Prop 54 (Race): Yes 41.7%

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 07 October 2003 - 10:22 PM.

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:23 PM

4.1%

Arnold: 50%
Bustamante: 32%

Yes on Recall: 51.7%

Prop 53: Yes, 34%
Prop 54: Yes 41.9%

#16 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:24 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{GiGi}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thanks Rov.

I have it on CNN now.

It seems to be tightening a bit.

I have to wonder however,how Californians will react when it turns out that Ahnold's pixie dust fixes are actually not going to work?  

Lil
Posted Image

#17 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:25 PM

It's interesting how tight the recall vote is. If it stays this way, I think there's a chance Davis might not actually GET recalled. :o

#18 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:26 PM

APOTS Lil. And if Arnold's solutions don't work? Recall, of course. ;).

Josh-- I don't think it's going to be tight at all. I think it's just some early statistical weirdness. Could be wrong, though.

#19 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:27 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 7 2003, 08:24 PM, said:

I have to wonder however,how Californians will react when it turns out that Ahnold's pixie dust fixes are actually not going to work? 
Hey, now....careful how you use the term "pixie dust" ;).  We pride ourselves on our high quality pixie dust in Pixieania!! ;)  :angel:

#20 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:29 PM

A message to the Democrats on the board:  don't get hysterical over this.  Arnold may be a sleaze, but he's also liberal enough to be a Democrat in any state in the union aside from California, New York, and Massachuttsets.  Both houses and every other statewide office are controlled by the Dems, and it's only three years until the next election.

And who knows?  With advisors like Warren Buffett, Arnold might be able to pull off a "Nixon to China" and do things like reopen Prop. 13 or try and go for a few of the other politically dangerous but necessary structural fixes to California.  I'm not doing cartwheels over this result (though I'm not sorry to see the end of creepy, vindictive Gray Davis), but this is pretty far from a disaster.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Recall, 2003.Grey Davis

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users