Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:29 PM

5.9%

Yes on Recall: 53.3%

Arnold: 49.8%
Cruz: 31.9%

Prop 53: Yes, 34.2%
Prop 54: Yes, 42.8%
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#22 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:30 PM

Nikki Peppermint, on Oct 7 2003, 08:27 PM, said:

Hey, now....careful how you use the term "pixie dust" ;).  We pride ourselves on our high quality pixie dust in Pixieania!! ;)  :angel:
yeah but there is a big difference between PNB certified pixie dust and Planet Hollywood pixie dust...;)
Posted Image

#23 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

How the post-election works:

From the California Secretary of State's office  http://www.ss.ca.gov...rt_timeline.htm

October 7, 2003 - Election Day. Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
October 7, 2003 - Semifinal official canvass of the vote begins upon close of polls and continues uninterrupted until the final precinct is reported. All ballots except provisionals and absentees returned on election day are tallied during this initial canvass.
October 9, 2003 - Official canvass of the vote must begin no later than this day (E+2) and continue until all ballots have been counted and accounted for (see below).
November 4, 2003 - Last day for county elections officials to complete their official canvass of the vote (E+28).
November 11, 2003 - Last day for county elections officials to report their official canvass results to the Secretary of State (E+35).
November 15, 2003 - Last day for the Secretary of State to certify the results of the statewide vote (E+39).

THE OFFICIAL CANVASS OF THE VOTE

Immediately upon the close of polls on election day, the county elections officials and the Secretary of State begin what is called the "semifinal official canvass of the vote" -- the tallying of early-returned absentees and the ballots cast in each of the state's voting precincts on election day. The semifinal official canvass begins when the polls close at 8:00 p.m. and continues uninterrupted until the last precinct is counted and reported to the Secretary of State.

The vote tallying process actually begins before election night, with the absentee ballots. Any county that counts its ballots by computer (all 58 do) may begin processing absentees seven (7) days before the election. Once they have verified the signatures on the return envelopes, elections officials remove the voted ballots and process them through their vote tallying system. Under no circumstances may they tabulate the results until after the close of polls on election day. Most counties continue this processing until they begin their election-day preparations for counting the precinct vote. Mail ballots not counted by that time and all those received on election day, either through the mail or at the precincts, are tabulated during the official canvass of the vote. Typically, at least 75% of the total absentee vote is tallied during these seven days and reported in the first minutes after the polls close.

The California Elections Code requires that the official canvass begin no later than the Thursday following the election, that it be open to the public, and that it continue daily (Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays excepted) for not less than six hours each day until completed. The county elections officials must complete the official canvass no later than the 29th day after the election and submit a certified statement of the results of the election to the Secretary of State by the 35th day.

By law, the activities undertaken during the official canvass include:

1. Processing and counting any valid absentee and provisional ballots not included in the semifinal official canvass. Provisional ballots are cast by voters whose names do not appear on the precinct roster. The voter uses a regular precinct ballot which is then placed in a special envelope that the voter must sign, much like an absentee envelope. During the official canvass, the elections official checks the voter registration file to verify the voter's eligibility to cast the ballot. Once verified, the ballot is added to the official count. These ballots added to the absentees not processed on election night can number 500,000 to 1,500,000.
   2. An inspection of all materials and supplies returned by poll workers.
   3. A reconciliation of the number of signatures on the roster with the number of ballots recorded on the ballot statement.
   4. A reconciliation of the number of ballots counted, spoiled, canceled, or invalidated due to identifying marks or overvotes with the number of votes counted, including absentee and provisional ballots.
   5. Counting any valid write-in votes.
   6. Reproducing any damaged ballots, if necessary.
   7. Conducting a hand count of the ballots cast in one (1) percent of the precincts, chosen at random by the elections official.
   8. Reporting final results to the Secretary of State, as required.

No later than the 39th day after the election, the Secretary of State must determine the votes cast on the recall question and ballot measures and for the replacement candidates, certify those results, and , if the recall was successful, issue a certificate of election to the candidate who was elected.

Reposted in entirety for fear the website will go down
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#24 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

LOL @ pixie dust, btw ;)

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#25 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:32 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{Zack}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thanks.
Posted Image

#26 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:33 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 7 2003, 08:30 PM, said:

Nikki Peppermint, on Oct 7 2003, 08:27 PM, said:

Hey, now....careful how you use the term "pixie dust" ;).  We pride ourselves on our high quality pixie dust in Pixieania!! ;)  :angel:
yeah but there is a big difference between PNB certified pixie dust and Planet Hollywood pixie dust...;)
Yay!!!! :lol:

Now back to your...erm, our...election!!

#27 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:34 PM

MuseZack, on Oct 7 2003, 07:29 PM, said:

A message to the Democrats on the board:  don't get hysterical over this.  Arnold may be a sleaze, but he's also liberal enough to be a Democrat in any state in the union aside from California, New York, and Massachuttsets.
Thank you {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Zack}}}}}}}}}}}}}
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#28 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:35 PM

Great post Zack. I have no idea what's going to happen with his governorship, but it's going to be fascinating to watch.

8.6% of the vote is in

Yes on recall: 54.6%
No: 45.4%

Arnold: 50.9%
Cruz: 31%

Prop 53: Yes, 34.4%
Prop 54: Yes, 43.1%

#29 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:36 PM

They sure are counting all those votes fast. Are they using machines or rather unfortunate people?
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#30 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:38 PM

Josh-- I imagine it's by machine; no way people could count this fast.

I'll admit that I don't know, however.

EDIT: Thinking about it further, the punch cards in Florida were counted by machine... and the electronic voting is, by definition, done by machine. So, yeah, machines.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 07 October 2003 - 10:40 PM.

#31 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:40 PM

^These are counts being done by machine just as rapidly as they can. The "Official Canvass" will include some hand counts, but only of 1% the precincts, chosen at random.

We'll have about 8 hours of this, and it'll hover at about 97% reporting for a few days, and then we'll know for certain.

EDIT: Or, see my post above. :p

Edited by jon3831, 07 October 2003 - 10:41 PM.

WWCELeMD?

#32 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:44 PM

10.6% of the vote.

Yes on recall: 53%

Arnold: 50%
Cruz: 32%

Prop 53: Yes, 34.4%
Prop 54: Yes, 42.5%

#33 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:46 PM

I'm watching CNN right now and Huffington is raising some GREAT points about the flaws with Arnold's 'plan' and ISSA is sitting there attacking her personally, being condescending, interrupting her and generally coming off as a first class PR*CK.

Sheesh.  What an *a$$h*le.

Lil
Posted Image

#34 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:54 PM

EDIT: With 14% of the vote counted.

Yes on Recall: 56%

Arnold: 51%
Cruz: 30%

Prop 53: Yes, 34.7%
Prop 54: Yes, 43.5%

McClintock is in the middle of a very classy concession. I hope we see him again someday soon. :). I don't agree with all of his policies, but I like him quite a lot.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 07 October 2003 - 10:55 PM.

#35 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:55 PM

I think McClintock would've had a real chance if it weren't for Arnold.

Oh well. There's always next time...

WWCELeMD?

#36 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:57 PM

jon3831, on Oct 7 2003, 08:55 PM, said:

I concur.

And it appears that McClintock could have been in the Arnold administration if he had just compromised his prinicples and endorsed Arnold. I admire the hell out of him because he didn't.

#37 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:03 PM

I also liked McClintock's concession speech.

If only he were a pro-choice democrat...;)

I have to say I am VERY pleased to see that prop 54 is losing pretty decisively.

Lil

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 07 October 2003 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image

#38 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:07 PM

Understood Lil. Were he pro-choice, McClintock would be my near-perfect candidate.

The website isn't updating. *hits it with a hammer*...

#39 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:08 PM

^I'm surprised the website lasted this long...

CNN: Davis is preparing to concede.

WWCELeMD?

#40 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:09 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 8 2003, 03:57 AM, said:

jon3831, on Oct 7 2003, 08:55 PM, said:

I concur.

And it appears that McClintock could have been in the Arnold administration if he had just compromised his prinicples and endorsed Arnold. I admire the hell out of him because he didn't.
CNN just commented on an exit poll that I had heard earlier on MSNBC, that showed 53% of the voters had a favorable opinion of McClintock (compared to Ahnold's 50%).  So it appears that voters were too smart for themselves, erroneously bought into the idea a vote for McClintock was "wasting" their vote, and proceeded to vote for someone they preferred less.

Greenfield commented it should serve McClintock well if he wants to challenge Boxer's Senate Seat.

Banapis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Recall, 2003.Grey Davis

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users