It should be interesting.
Posted Image

#42 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:09 PM

Incidentally, I'm getting a message in chat for a CNN page for all this.... or part of it..... :eh:

*decides to wake up to the results instead of going to bed with likely results fresh in her mind* :Oo:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#43 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:11 PM

Banapis-- Excellent point. Self-fulfilling prophecy and all that. It's a shame.

But this recall has given McClintock national exposure. Barring something incredibly stupid, he should have a bright future.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#44 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:13 PM

I'm gonna beat this drum again, because I can see Lil and GiGi getting depressed.  Arnold ran on being pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-gun control, and against cutting the education budget-- not exactly core Republican principles.  

And he beat a combination of widely loathed Gray Davis and incompetent wet noodle Cruz Bustamante.  The Democrats very stupidly didn't run any first stringers in the recall.  The upside of this is that there are a plethora of popular, well-known Democrats who can run in the next election-- Leon Panetta, Dianne Feinstein, George Miller, Antonio Villagrossa, etc. etc.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#45 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:15 PM

Bustamante concedes, claims victory on prop 54.

15.8%

Recall: Yes is 56.7%

Arnold is at 52%
Bustamante is 29%
Tom is 12%

53:  Yes = 34.6%
54: Yes = 43.7%

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#46 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:17 PM

Concession doesn't really mean anything, though... After all, Al Gore conceded to George Bush, and look how that turned out...
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#47 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:17 PM

Hasn't anybody told these guys that conceding takes away all the fun in the peanut gallery yet? :p :p
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#48 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:23 PM

Jesse Jackson is calling for a constitutional amendment to "raise the bar" for the recall process.

CNN has an interesting map showing how the state voted by county... Most voted for the recall, only San Francisco County voted strongly against the recall, with the surrounding counties voting for, but by a lesser margin.

http://www.cnn.com/E.../maps/full.html

Edited by jon3831, 07 October 2003 - 11:26 PM.

WWCELeMD?

#49 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:25 PM

^

I agree, it should probably be raised. As I understand it, it's currently at 12% of the turnout of the latest election; 25% sounds about right to me...

#50 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:27 PM

And I wonder how many people will move out of the state because of it. Gigi certainly was looking at the possibility.

I'm considering it...

I have to wonder however,how Californians will react when it turns out that Ahnold's pixie dust fixes are actually not going to work?

Recall! Recall! :wideeyed:

A message to the Democrats on the board: don't get hysterical over this. Arnold may be a sleaze, but he's also liberal enough to be a Democrat in any state in the union aside from California, New York, and Massachuttsets.

Zack, I'm allegedly a Democrat, though in a rather conservative mood lately; I'd prefer to be an Independent, but that causes problems when voting in primaries. Anyway, I voted for a Republican this time, so I'm hardly hysterical over that. It's just that the wrong Republican won, in my view. ;) I really worry about the influence the far-left-leaning Hollywood will have with Ah-nold in office. I can't stand Hollywood, and because Ah-nold's an entertainer, they're having so much *fun* with this, which indicates to me that he may not be a "Republican" at all. (Which he isn't, really.)

And it appears that McClintock could have been in the Arnold administration if he had just compromised his prinicples and endorsed Arnold. I admire the hell out of him because he didn't.

Agreed.

So it appears that voters were too smart for themselves, erroneously bought into the idea a vote for McClintock was "wasting" their vote, and proceeded to vote for someone they preferred less.

Sigh. I decided I couldn't care less if I was "wasting" my vote and voted for McClintock, so there. ;) Too bad others couldn't have overcome their "sheeple" instinct.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#51 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:29 PM

Zack you are an angel.  You are truly one of the best human beings it has ever been my privilege to know.   :love:

Yes I am depressed and angry. I'll try not to stay that way.

I just saw Bustamante.  LOL.  He needs a new speech writer.  Like ME for example.

I still cannot believe this insistence that prop 54 precludes the classification of medical information on the basis of race and ethnicity.

It's a LIE.  The proposition EXPRESSLY excluded health care.

The reason prop 54 is evil is because it effectively prevents the DFEH from investigating and prosecuting claims of discrimination  based on race and ethnicity because, despite the alleged "exclusion" for the DFEH, it specifically prohibits the DFEH from making those classifications.

The crumb of comfort is that enough Californians seem to have grokked the real problems with this insidious attempt to undermine anti discrimination in California, despite the lies told by Bustamante et al.

I didn't think I could see a less effective campaign than Al Gore's.

I stand corrected.

Lil
Posted Image

#52 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:30 PM

20.5% of the vote.

Recall:
Yes is at 56%

Arnold is at 51%
Bustamante is at 30%
McClintock is at 12%

Prop 53: Yes @ 34.7%
Prop 54: Yes @ 42.7%

#53 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:38 PM

MuseZack, on Oct 7 2003, 08:29 PM, said:

With advisors like Warren Buffett, Arnold might... reopen Prop. 13
Don't think that will happen imo.  I know many older  people who purchased homes before prop 13 who wouldn't be able to afford the higher property taxes.

I voted yes for the recall.  Davis pissed me off with the illegals drivers license bill.  I know that they were able to get them before prop 187, but a lot has changed since then.  I don't want to have to get a passport to go to Tijuana or for domestic air travel.

I voted for Larry Flynt.
:D

#54 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:42 PM

25.1%

Recall-- Yes: 56%

Arnold: Roughly 50%
Bustamante: 30%

Prop 53: 35.1% yes

Prop 54: 41.8% yes

#55 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:49 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 7 2003, 09:25 PM, said:

I agree, it should probably be raised. As I understand it, it's currently at 12% of the turnout of the latest election; 25% sounds about right to me...
Granted on the higher standard, but I understood the good Reverend to say he wanted a US Constitutional amendment, not a state amendment...

WWCELeMD?

#56 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:50 PM

jon3831, on Oct 7 2003, 09:49 PM, said:

Granted on the higher standard, but I understood the good Reverend to say he wanted a US Constitutional amendment, not a state amendment...
He *has* to know better than that.

Right? Right?

#57 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:51 PM

Davis concedes.

And when he said "The Californians have chosen somebody elso to lead", they started BOOING. Unbelievable.

EDIT: And when he said Arnold, they booed to.

How appallingly petty.

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 07 October 2003 - 11:52 PM.

#58 jon3831

jon3831

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:51 PM

^I could very well be mistaken, but that's how I interpreted it...

WWCELeMD?

#59 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:52 PM

We'll see jon; somebody will ask him about this.

BTW, what the frell is going on?

Davis is giving a fairly charismatic speech once it's too late to do him an iota of good... just like Al Gore did. HUH????

#60 Davesnothome

Davesnothome
  • Islander
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 11:54 PM

You all realize what this trully means and can now occur? They can rerelease the movie "Predator", advertising it as the only the movie to star two state Governors! From Minnecota and California! (g)

Yes, one can choose to move out of California. But just remember, bad politicians and government leaders are everywhere! Very few places are totally immune! (g)

Dave

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Recall, 2003.Grey Davis

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users