• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:39 AM

Arnold is giving a pretty standard speech about the people, about politics as usual losing, etc.

Barring a major turnaround, it looks like the best speech of the night goes to Davis... which is, frankly, the strangest thing about the recall election, period.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#82 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:42 AM

^I was impressed with Arnold's supporters though when he mentioned his phone call with Mr. Davis.

Much, much classier than what Davis' followers did.

MHO, of course.
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#83 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:44 AM

Arnold wants to represent 'everybody'?

It's a bit early to be crashing and burning, isn't it? :eek:
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#84 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:48 AM

That was a very cute speech from Ahnold.

COMPLETELY unrealistic.

Hey I know, let's send him NuTrance with her magic green elf tree as a political advisor and maybe THEN he'll have a snowball's chance in hell of pleasing everybody.

:blink:
Posted Image

#85 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:55 AM

Of course there is the He's so bad and sucks at the job which has held a total of what an hour?  Yet Davis the master of Fair play and his even kinder and honest associate  Busti have been reall sports about doing their best.

Basically my take on the Election is folks were tired of both the lying bastards and went with someone who they can remove in a year and ahalf if you really stretch the half part.

Then again the average person did not know how wonderful Gray was going to be for them and how he would take care of all the problems with a wave of his hand and  singing  Lean On me for the remainder of his term.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#86 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:55 AM

^

If it's one thing I've learned about this board, you just can't please everybody. This could become a VERY interesting situation very quickly. Or not so quickly. Either way, at least he's idealistic.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#87 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 02:04 AM

Darn it, I was hoping for Garry Coleman! :p
Per aspera ad astra

#88 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:15 AM

GiGi, on Oct 7 2003, 10:27 PM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 7 2003, 07:46 PM, said:

I'm watching CNN right now and Huffington is raising some GREAT points about the flaws with Arnold's 'plan' and ISSA is sitting there attacking her personally, being condescending, interrupting her and generally coming off as a first class PR*CK.

Sheesh. What an *a$$h*le.

Lil
Indeed the ONLY worse candidate than Arnold would have been Issa!!!!!!!
Arnold doesn't actually have a plan. What he mostly has, other than repealing the increased car license fees, is vaporware, and he seems completely unaware that, unlike a starring role in a movie, he doesn't get to call the shots (you know, that pesky legislature and all :p).

I can't wait till his first hundred days are over and we get to review his "plan."

Edited by Rhea, 08 October 2003 - 11:32 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#89 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:16 AM

G1223, on Oct 7 2003, 10:55 PM, said:

Of course there is the He's so bad and sucks at the job which has held a total of what an hour?  Yet Davis the master of Fair play and his even kinder and honest associate  Busti have been reall sports about doing their best.

Basically my take on the Election is folks were tired of both the lying bastards and went with someone who they can remove in a year and ahalf if you really stretch the half part.

Then again the average person did not know how wonderful Gray was going to be for them and how he would take care of all the problems with a wave of his hand and  singing  Lean On me for the remainder of his term.
I don't think most people thought Davis was wonderful. More the contrary. But the best thing to do would have been to wait till his term was over and run a REAL election.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#90 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:33 AM

I don't think most people thought Davis was wonderful. More the contrary.

I didn't like Davis at all. Am I supposed to adore Ah-nold, then? Why? Give me a good reason, G.

G, if you start the sort of wartime routine that you did during Iraq (if you dissent, you're unAmerican, because you obviously love Saddam), and apply it to here (if you don't support Ah-nold, you're disloyal), you'd best learn to argue in a different way (though I suspect you don't know how to). I'm native to Northern California; I'm old enough to remember California when it was a good place to be. You don't have any business telling me how to be a "real" Californian, that I should've voted for Ah-nold. I voted for whom I pleased, though he didn't have a chance, and I find it rather odd that a conservative such as yourself is so against the Republican that didn't get all the glory (McClintock).

Of course, you have the right to say what you wish. Pardon me if I dismiss and ignore it. ;)

But the best thing to do would have been to wait till his term was over and run a REAL election.

Yes, why couldn't people have *waited* until the real election and then voted Davis out to their heart's content? What was the use of the waste of money and time? Yes, I'm aware that there are recall supporters posting here; maybe they can explain again exactly what they accomplished by jumping the gun. I can tell you, whatever you think you accomplished, I see the fact that we have a bad movie actor voted in, and even though he claims to be Republican (and therefore gives the state to Bush), this gives Hollywood even more power, too, and that just disgusts me.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#91 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:58 AM

And I wonder how many people will move out of the state because of it. Gigi certainly was looking at the possibility.

We started planning to move out of CA during Davis' first time. We are still planning on leaving this state. Our biggest fear is that by the time we are able to move (hopefully by the end of 2004), our house won't be worth anything and we will be stuck in this state. :crazy:

The "Official Canvass" will include some hand counts, but only of 1% the precincts, chosen at random.

I'm curious as to how they are going to perform the hand counts. The new touch screen machines that everyone said are so perfect, do NOT have a paper backup. The manufacturer admitted late last week that there was no way to recount the touch screens. I think the comment was along the lines of the machines/software was so great you didn't need a backup. There are already several states working on corrections to the software in these machines. I'm waiting for the ACLU to get into this whole mess.

#92 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:50 PM

Just to let you all know, there *are* some of us who are dancing the happy dance today!

Here are the reasons why I think Ahnuld will do a good job.

1) The man has accomplished everything he has set out to do in his life.

2) The man has run his own business. Being a small business owner myself, I know how important it is to save money. I think Ahnuld will be the first person in a long time to eye everything the state does through that frugal business owner point of view.

#93 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:03 PM

Isn't Ahnold becoming governor one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

#94 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:18 PM

^
I dunno...

But it's too bad I went to bed too early to see the great speech.  :pout:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#95 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:50 PM

Feels like it. ;)

I find it... disquieting... that some politicians somewhere (can't say exactly whom [Orrin Hatch?]; I keep hearing rumors about this) are considering trying to push through an amendment that lets foreign-born politicians become President of the USA, due to Ah-nold's gubernatorial success in California. Um, sorry, I like the law as it is... only those actually born *here* can be President here. Can someone give me any *reasonable* reason why the law should be changed?
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#96 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:55 PM

Norville, on Oct 8 2003, 09:50 PM, said:

I find it... disquieting... that some politicians somewhere (can't say exactly whom [Orrin Hatch?]; I keep hearing rumors about this) are considering trying to push through an amendment that lets foreign-born politicians become President of the USA, due to Ah-nold's gubernatorial success in California.
Y'know, I think that's a great idea. :ninja:

*goes off to amend his Evil Plan*

#97 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 11:12 PM

eechick, on Oct 8 2003, 05:03 PM, said:

It is around my house.  My hubby and two of my neighbors are now all sporting Ahnold fake accents... one of the neighbors takes it further and makes comments about women's breasts in a fake Ahnold accent.  :wacko:

Someone kill me now....
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Recall, 2003.Grey Davis

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users