Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Church now claiming condoms don't prevent AIDS?

Religion Catholicism Condoms AIDS

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 11:15 PM

APOTS Norville.

I'm surprised how common that misconception really is.

Lil

Edited by Una Salus Lillius, 09 October 2003 - 11:17 PM.

Posted Image

#42 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 12:40 AM

I can understand how the misconception gets about

You hear how HIV is transmitted through "body fluids" all the time and saliva is a fluid...from the body...

But like others have said, you're about as likely to get HIV from (bloodless) saliva as you are from giving a hug to some who has HIV and is sweating

Still, I've met a couple of nurses who refuse to treat HIV/AIDS patients because they're afraid of getting it.  Kinda makes you wanna kick 'em

And about the actual topic, I think some of that misinformation comes from a few people who are trying to find some sort of science-y way of having their views be right, and then gets spread around like facts.  Rather like social darwinism was a while back.  I think it has a lot to do with listening to what you want to hear more then trying to tell outright lies.  
However, I also firmly believe that when people's lives are at stake, there is NO decent reason to listen to only what you want to hear
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#43 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 07:45 AM

Rhea, on Oct 9 2003, 08:09 PM, said:

Every time I see these numbers I'm staggered anew:

"These incorrect statements about condoms and HIV are dangerous when we are facing a global pandemic which has already killed more than 20 million people, and currently affects at least 42 million," the WHO told the program.
:Oo:

Yeah, me too.

I can't remember the exact percentages, but the numbers in some African countries are just.... uh, I can think of no word for it other than obscene.  As in unbelievable yet true.  :barf:

And *waves wildly*  Uhh, accurate research and info thataway!
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#44 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 08:28 AM

Anakam, on Oct 10 2003, 12:45 PM, said:

I can't remember the exact percentages, but the numbers in some African countries are just.... uh, I can think of no word for it other than obscene.  As in unbelievable yet true.  :barf:
You can find rates from 15 to 20% on the low end up to 40+% on the high end depending upon source and country.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#45 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 09:37 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 9 2003, 05:34 PM, said:

Jid, on Oct 9 2003, 05:21 PM, said:

^ Ummm, actually, *Saliva* simply can't transmit AIDS.
Thank you.

And bandit, a more careful reading of this thread will reveal to you numerous instances where I've talked about alternative means of transmitting/contracting HIV (thanks Jid).
Not only that, but most cases of pregnancy from condoms are NOT because the condoms malfunction (although they do in rare cases), but from the condoms not being fitted properly.

LoM, I wasn't ignoring your response on the Creation vs. evolution thing, and later today I think we should take Jid's advice and start a separate thread on this fascinating subject rather than use Lil's thread.  :cool:

Edited by Rhea, 10 October 2003 - 09:38 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#46 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 12:59 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Oct 10 2003, 07:28 AM, said:

I can't remember the exact percentages, but the numbers in some African countries are just.... uh, I can think of no word for it other than obscene. As in unbelievable yet true. :barf:
You can find rates from 15 to 20% on the low end up to 40+% on the high end depending upon source and country.
It's just inconceivable for anyone who doesn't have to live there. :eek2: Truly one of the greatest tragedies of our time, perhaps the greatest.

Kind of makes me wonder what historians from the future will think of the early 21st century.

"It was a dark, plague infested age..."

Edited by Kevin Street, 10 October 2003 - 03:54 PM.

#47 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:25 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Oct 10 2003, 02:28 PM, said:

I can't remember the exact percentages, but the numbers in some African countries are just.... uh, I can think of no word for it other than obscene.  As in unbelievable yet true.  :barf:
Yep, sounds about 'right', as it were.  :Oo:

IIRC 40% was the figure I couldn't believe, whileI could, sadly, still believe the 15% figure.  *shudders*

Kevin--probably the greatest, I think.  I shudder to think at what we, as a species, are losing because of that.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#48 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 03:06 PM

Put another way, just to put things in perspective:

17 people have posted in this thread.

If we were representative of the Kenyan (largely Catholic) population, 2-7* of us would have AIDS.

It's horrifying. It amazes me that there's so little public outcry. I guess people just feel helpless in the face of it all.

*Depending on whose numbers you believe.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#49 Lady of Mystery

Lady of Mystery
  • Islander
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 03:16 PM

Rhea, on Oct 10 2003, 09:37 AM, said:

LoM, I wasn't ignoring your response on the Creation vs. evolution thing, and later today I think we should take Jid's advice and start a separate thread on this fascinating subject rather than use Lil's thread.  :cool:
Yes, that sounds fine to me, and I agree that we shouldn't hijack Lil's thread.

#50 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 12:20 AM

It amazes me that there's so little public outcry.

*cough* The news services in the US don't give a frell except when they feel they have to do a brief report from the CDC et al once a year or so *cough :p :devil:  :glare:

This run-on sentence brought to you by cross and sleepy Anakam...

#51 Blondie

Blondie

The Peroxide Jihad

• Dead account
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 01:00 AM

I and many other Catholics I know have used contraceptives (though I don't need them anymore) is sublime disregard of what the hierarchy says.  Quite simply, no one in the chain is gonna help a pregnant Catholic girl raise her baby in a decent environment, so they have no say so in the matter.  This attitude is more common than you think.
The ditz FKA TrancesHuggyPillow

#52 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 01:09 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 10 2003, 08:06 PM, said:

It's horrifying. It amazes me that there's so little public outcry. I guess people just feel helpless in the face of it all.
Basically it has nothing to do with America . The place this is happening is Africa they are in some places dealing with technology that comes to them for 10 generations and suddenly this illness is among them.

I do not mean to say they turn to the witch doctor. I mean to say tha the Tech Level is so low in places that news would have to be carried by hand and then people will panic about what to do.

It is among the less able to defend themselves this virus will always be like fire. I am worried about India and Bangladesh and then parts of SE Asia

(They have high Populations and in some places open prostiution  of children and poor young women)
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Catholicism, Condoms, AIDS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users