• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 12:54 PM

Norville, on Oct 10 2003, 06:28 PM, said:

You mentioned all the illegals hanging out on the streets, waiting for someone to drive by and give them work. I could almost say that allowing some of them to work at least gets them off the streets. But the pay would be crud. Hmm... I wouldn't have a problem with someone going through some of the streets of San Rafael, for example, and rounding those guys up to expel them, because loitering like that tends to lead to criminal activity... It gets complicated, though.
I'll say. I've always had a problem with all the illegals standing around in the Francisco Blvd. area waiting for work, but I shrugged because at least they hang out in an industrial, not a residential area.

Now that we have our very own, exclusive Novato group hanging out at Old Redwood Highway and Olive, just a hop skip and a jump from my house, I'm incensed. The cynic in me says that they're only being allowed to hang out there to keep them off Old Redwood and Diablo, the main drag.

But I so hate having an audience every time I get gas.  :blink:  Luckily, most days I beat the loiterers to the gas station.  :alien:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#42 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 06:05 PM

Rhea, on Oct 12 2003, 09:51 AM, said:

I honestly have no idea. However, my instinct is that he *can* be sued, or else we would have heard people fretting about it before the election. Could be wrong, though.
Arnold isn't President, last time I looked.  :eek2:  :eek2:
So, then what was that suit going against Clinton causing him to lie about "having sex with that woman"

Was it criminal or civil?  

The cases the women have against Arnold could possibly be criminal.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#43 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 07:48 PM

GiGi, on Oct 12 2003, 04:05 PM, said:

Rhea, on Oct 12 2003, 09:51 AM, said:

I honestly have no idea. However, my instinct is that he *can* be sued, or else we would have heard people fretting about it before the election. Could be wrong, though.
Arnold isn't President, last time I looked.  :eek2:  :eek2:
So, then what was that suit going against Clinton causing him to lie about "having sex with that woman"

Was it criminal or civil?  

The cases the women have against Arnold could possibly be criminal.
It was a civil suit for sexual harassment. Details here:

http://www.courttv.c...asefiles/jones/

Edited by Rhea, 12 October 2003 - 07:50 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#44 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 08:45 PM

^ So, then a President can be sued.  I didn't agree with it at the time, at least not a civil suit.  Criminal, yes, if it is really bad (felony, not misdemeanor)

So, by those standards, I should oppose the same thing done to Arnold.

Should...

But what is good for the sex addict is good for the groper!  :devil:
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#45 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 08:52 PM

^

The other issue, GiGi, is that a great many of the cases can't be pursued criminally because the Statute of Limitations has long since passed.

For the majority of women there's no legal recourse against Arnold.

EDIT: On advice of counsel

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 12 October 2003 - 09:10 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#46 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 09:18 PM

Just to clarify.

Sexual harassment is prohibited in the work place.  I'm not sure how many of these incidents are even covered by anti discrimination/sexual harassment laws.

To the extent they are the vast majority of discrimination/harassment laws require an administrative claim to be filed within ONE YEAR of the alleged conduct, with one year after the admin case is closed to file a civil law suit.

I honestly don't know the statute of limitations on criminal sexual assault cases but I imagine it's longer than that for civil discrimination cases.

In CA at least the statute of limitations on most tort actions (and assault and battery are both torts) is one year.

Lil
Posted Image

#47 GiGi

GiGi

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 11:19 PM

I have no idea if anything can come of it.  My neighbor, who grew up in Hollywood says it is par for the course behavior on  a set.  

The women probably put up with it or lose their jobs.  I know has worked that way with some perfomance venues I worked in here and why I no longer work in them.  And probably why I am more sensitive to the charges, I know how awful it is to be put in the position of having to  look the other way when boundaries are crossed or be out of work and on a black list.

#48 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 10:19 PM

I'm very worried about what Arnold has apparently done. He's assigned Willie Brown to his advisory team! Willie "Da Mayor" Brown has done the most remarkable job of destroying San Francisco in his term as emperor... sorry, mayor. (It's not for no reason that a certain San Francisco-based cartoonist always depicts Brown as a king, regal above and beyond any capacity to actually lead.)

The thought of Brown acting for Arnold in any capacity is... well, terrifying, actually. California is in bad-enough shape without letting Brown have any more power than he already has. My opinion, of course. But... :eek: ...was my reaction when I heard this.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#49 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 14 October 2003 - 10:46 PM

Rhea, on Oct 10 2003, 06:53 PM, said:

As far as I'm concerned people who use illegal labor deserve to go out of business. Period.
Then you'd better say good-bye to places like slaughterhouses.

I suggest you read FAST FOOD NATION. A FRIGHTENING book.

According to the book, one of the biggest abuses of illegals happens in slaughterhouses. Slaughterhouse work is deemed by the author to be THE WORST job you could get in the U.S. There's a part in the book mentioning one worker (illegal, from what I remember) falling into a lard-making machine and being turned into lard himself.

:crazy:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 14 October 2003 - 10:50 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users