128 replies to this topic

#121 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:07 PM

Norville, on Oct 13 2003, 05:45 PM, said:

The article has this tone of "Ha! You fools! Your patron saint is dead! We laugh while you wail in despair!"

Drew, I don't think that's only an attack on conservativism there. Again it's society's deeply annoying tendency to build up and adore irrationally, then tear down at slightest sign of weakness.
I note that the only examples the writer gave were examples of failed conservatives. Not a Clinton among them.  :suspect:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#122 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:13 PM

Delvo, on Oct 13 2003, 07:03 PM, said:

Funny how the Rush comments by the liberals in this thread have little to do with the present predicament, and are just using this thread as yet another outlet for dragging out the same old tired lies about him again and again. (Hint: He sees ALL people's talents as coming from God and claims no special role or relationship with God... but you'd know that and admit it if you knew what you're talking about and had any interest in the truth.)
That's a bit of an overgeneralization, I made no such comments, and I don't think I was alone in my thoughts, and I don't know the political leanings of the memebers of the board, well most of the them anyway. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#123 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:30 PM

Norville, on Oct 13 2003, 03:45 PM, said:

Re: Oprah...

She's almost a religious figure.

I don't follow the religion of Oprah. I am, in fact, an atheist when it comes to Oprahism. ;) If you reverse Oprah, though, it's Harpo, and I adore Harpo Marx! :wideeyed:
ROTFLMAO! Add Dr. Phil to Oprah and I'm with you.  :p  :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#124 bandit

bandit

Bond, Fuzzy Bond

• Islander
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:33 PM

Yes rush did bash many people, and yes he could have (and probably should have in many cases) been more polite, but there is usually a fair amount of logic and or truth to what he was saying, and while i never did listen to his show regularly, i would listen to it just as much now as i did before.

also, if you will pay careful attention to the article that GiGi posted a link to, you will see that according to the doctor interveiwed, you do not neccecaraly have to abuse the drug to get hooked. it is entirely possible to follow the prescribed directions and get hooked.

#125 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:44 PM

^^^Even if you get hooked on a drug prescribed to by a doctor, you still only a set amount to take, and if you go over that amount, then i think there's something wrong somewhere.

But I have to wonder who's to pay fro this, Rush or his doctor? Because smebody screwed up somewhere along the way. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#126 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 09:33 PM

[...deleting hot-headed post made on too little sleep and too much stressing over reroofing job and upcoming house remodeling and renovation :crazy: ...]

[...Move on, nothing to see here...]

Edited by Norville, 13 October 2003 - 11:54 PM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#127 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 10:17 PM

Edited by Delvo, 13 October 2003 - 11:17 PM.

#128 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, I think I'll leave the thread. Pretty funny how I've had family tell me I'm becoming a Republican lately, but I'm still a liberal liar to the attack dogs. Have fun twisting words and truth to say what you want 'em to say, then saying that words have *meaning* (which indeed they do, but not if you use them to lie). Ain't worth the trouble.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#129 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:03 AM

Thank you Delvo and Norville, for being willing to compromise and edit your posts. That was very good of you.

Edited by Kevin Street, 14 October 2003 - 12:03 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Talk Radio, Limbaugh

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users