10 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 08:06 AM

http://tv.zap2it.com...n/...1|,00.html

Jerry Springer has ruled out a run for the U.S. Senate next year, but he's apparently not done with politics altogether.
The talk show host and former mayor of Cincinnati says he'd think about running for governor of Ohio in 2006. He made the comment during a speech Thursday (Oct. 16) to students at the University of Akron, the AP reports.

Should Springer decide to run, he says he would quit the lowbrow talk show that bears his name and features a daily parade of dysfunction. He called "The Jerry Springer Show" "the silliest show ever" in his speech Thursday.

Well, the upside is that if he runs for office, that'll end the Jerry Springer Show, on the other hand I'd still rather have Tim Hagan as governor than Springer. :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 08:34 AM

This is wonderful news!
With Jerry Springer's television experience, and as Governor,
he could host  the Ohio Lottery's "Cash Explosion" television show.
This could change the most boring show on television into a
chair throwing, fist fighting brawl for the cash prizes.

Ahhh, I might even watch ........................

:hehe:
Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 08:45 AM

Really, I don't know whether Springer would be a good politician or a bad politician. I've seen him on a few political talkshows, and he seems reasonably well-versed in the subject matter.

The main complaint against him seems to be his show.  Nobody is hurt by this enterprise, and it's completely voluntary. Springer has said repeteadly that it's a very stupid show, and he would never watch it himself. What difference does that job make to his qualifications? Everybody has to pay the bills...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 08:59 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 18 2003, 09:45 AM, said:

Really, I don't know whether Springer would be a good politician or a bad politician. I've seen him on a few political talkshows, and he seems reasonably well-versed in the subject matter.

The main complaint against him seems to be his show.  Nobody is hurt by this enterprise, and it's completely voluntary. Springer has said repeteadly that it's a very stupid show, and he would never watch it himself. What difference does that job make to his qualifications? Everybody has to pay the bills...
I suppose his past history of mayorship doesn't count then? :wacko:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 11:12 AM

Yes, he was mayor of a large enough city to have some idea of what is going on. Probably make a fair Governor if elected. His image may be bad enough to keep him out of office.
Can't Touch This!!

#6 Nureek

Nureek

Nureek of Squrlookal out of Hanunga by Rotut

• Islander
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:44 PM

^Sadly enough, I have a feeling that his image would help him get into office now-a-days.

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 05:08 PM

LOL! Well, if Jesse Ventura and Arnie can do it, so can Jerry.  :look:

Personally, I have nothing but contempt for a man who hosts the single ugliest, most manipulative, dysfunctional TV show ever. Shows the only principle he has revolves around making big bucks. A man of honor would refuse to do that tripe.  I can't imagine doing something that disgusting and ugly for a living. :barf:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 12:34 AM

:barf:

This is NOT how I want some of my relatives to move back to Michigan.  I'd even be afraid to go there to visit the city zoos and stuff.... :wacko:  :crazy:

*shudders*

Got room in Canada, anybody?
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#9 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 12:26 PM

Anakam, on Oct 18 2003, 09:34 PM, said:

:barf:

This is NOT how I want some of my relatives to move back to Michigan.  I'd even be afraid to go there to visit the city zoos and stuff.... :wacko:  :crazy:

*shudders*

Got room in Canada, anybody?
Theres lots and lots or room in Canada.... just not at my house ;)  :blush:
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#10 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 12:46 PM

I hear Calgary is nice this time of year. :angel:

#11 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:27 PM

^
Someplace relatively close to the mountains, preferably.... :p ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ohio, Jerry Springer, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users