51 replies to this topic

#41 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 09:33 AM

Norville, on Oct 24 2003, 10:30 PM, said:

I remember a word apparently coined by Berkeley Breathed, who used to do the wonderfully twisted strip "Bloom County" -- "Offensensitivity." (Opus the Penguin was at a bus stop. Someone came over to him, said "Your nose offends me." Other people joined them, and everyone was proclaiming that something about the other person offended him/her. Suddenly, they stopped, gasped "My gosh... LIFE is offensive!" and all ran screaming away. Opus noted: "Offensensitivity.")
I have been known to use that word from time to time.  :cool:   (I understand that Bloom County is making a comeback of sorts.)
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#42 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 09:46 AM

We had case of offensensitivity pop up here in Wisconsin recently. I don't know if it's like this all over the country--I suspect it is--but when people are killed in road accidents, family and friends sometimes erect little memorials on the spot where the person was killed. So when driving along the roads here you may see a tacky little cluster of plastic flowers and a wooden cross along a curve or in a ditch or near a large, immovable tree or some such thing. Well, it seems some people started complaining about them--not because of the tacky plastic flowers--but because these memorials generally include a cross; and the cross, you know, is a Christian symbol (Gasp!), so they are being affronted by having to see a symbol of Christianity along the roads they drive, and these crosses are placed along (Gasp!) PUBLIC ROADS! Therefore, the state is promoting a specific religion!

Now, these memorials are usually uncommon enough and so small, it's blink-and-you-miss-'em; and the Dept. of Trans. has no policy about them but leaves them up as a courtesy (and mainly, I gather, because it reminds drivers to be safer along hazardous roads). But because a few people are suffering from Offensensitivity, it became a minor issue for awhile. I'm not sure how it was resolved, because I still see a few here and there. But I was shocked that it became an issue at all. But I have learned to never underestimate the idiocy coming out of Madison.

So, Kimmer, I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone started making noise about having to see your nativity scene as they drive by your house--even if it is private property.

Edited by Drew, 25 October 2003 - 09:49 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#43 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:13 AM

GiGi said:
Kimmer, I would rather see plastic images of mother and child (and others) than to see the murdering of old beautiful trees.

Actually - we could talk about what plastic is made of and how much I hate so much of the stuff made from plastic, but I'm not in the mood for all that. I've only had cup one of java. ;) I don't see it as murdering a tree. In order for a forest to grow and be healthy, it usually becomes necessary to remove some of the trees and such so that the younger ones receive sunshine and can grow. Also, by removing some of the excess growth, you cut down the risk of fire danger. Thus in the long run, when properly done, you have a healthier forest.

The tree brought into town is one that the US Dept. of Forestry has approved for cutting and removal. No one goes up and willy-nilly cuts down a tree.

Drew, I wouldn't be surprised either. My own friend has had her nativity scene smashed and pieces removed several times. Her neighbors call her ... well, nasty twisted names.

Oh, and I can see this roadside cross thing becoming a national issue some day.

#44 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:50 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Oct 24 2003, 11:58 PM, said:

^

Well I have a feeling that bull burning and sacrifices might not be quite as...um...protected...;)
well, there goes the yearly sacrfice of the female virgins.     :lol:  :lol:

Oops!   It wouldn't be PC (Politically Correct) if we didn't sacrfice some male virgins too.   :lol:  :lol:    

Maybe we should have the yearly sacrfice of the PC people instead.    :lol:  :lol:

Now back to the regularlly scheduled and unscheduled crazy fun known as ExIsle.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

#45 ultraviolet

ultraviolet

photographer, aspiring sci-fi writer, photoshop artist

• Islander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 11:03 AM

kimmer, on Oct 25 2003, 03:13 PM, said:

GiGi said:
Kimmer, I would rather see plastic images of mother and child (and others) than to see the murdering of old beautiful trees.

Actually - we could talk about what plastic is made of and how much I hate so much of the stuff made from plastic, but I'm not in the mood for all that. I've only had cup one of java. ;) I don't see it as murdering a tree. In order for a forest to grow and be healthy, it usually becomes necessary to remove some of the trees and such so that the younger ones receive sunshine and can grow. Also, by removing some of the excess growth, you cut down the risk of fire danger. Thus in the long run, when properly done, you have a healthier forest.

The tree brought into town is one that the US Dept. of Forestry has approved for cutting and removal. No one goes up and willy-nilly cuts down a tree.

Drew, I wouldn't be surprised either. My own friend has had her nativity scene smashed and pieces removed several times. Her neighbors call her ... well, nasty twisted names.

Oh, and I can see this roadside cross thing becoming a national issue some day.
Well, there are pleny of lawns and houses that are decorated in my area around Christmas and even inside the towns (and cities).   It is beautiful to look at all the beautifully decorated lawns.   One can take a drive to many neighborhoods in my area and see them on display.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

#46 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 02:46 PM

prolog, on Oct 24 2003, 09:59 AM, said:

To be fair, Halloween has become such a watered-down, commercial holiday that we don't really "celebrate" it anymore - it's just another gimme gimme holiday made completely bland. ;)
That's pretty much the way I feel about it, too. Claypit Hill school is being rather ridiculous in this instance, but imo they wouldn't have been able to pull something like that if the holiday hadn't been weakened to the point of death already.

When I was a kid Halloween was exciting and strange and difficult - it was the one time of year where we got to dress up in weird costumes and go around the neighbourhood at night by ourselves - no parents allowed. It taught us how to balance our priorities (Go another block or freeze to death, is the extra candy worth it?), showed us human nature in the raw (some people gave lots of candy, while some just yelled), and sometimes had real danger in it (One year my friend got robbed while we were walking together. I'll never forget the way this big goon in a white sheet just popped out of nowhere and wrestled the bag away from him.). It was fun and dangerous, exciting and frightening, all at the same time.

Now the kids show up at six or so (we never even started until after seven), go a couple of blocks in a car while their parents drive them around, and quit before eight. Every year there's fewer kids than before, and if things keep going like this there won't be any at all in a couple of years. The holiday is dying out, a victim of parental fear and commercialization and the increasing isolation of modern urban life. In my day we knew all the people who were giving out candy, but the kids today never get a chance to meet their neighbours. They're strangers everywhere they go, because the families move in and out the neighbourhood too fast.
Per aspera ad astra

#47 Techfreak Ziana

Techfreak Ziana

Mistress Matrix, Technophiliac

• Islander
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 12:36 AM

GiGi, on Oct 24 2003, 12:55 PM, said:

I have written various articles  on it, here is a bit from one that is posted online (this is more about the Celtic history)-

Samhain (pronounced sow-en)

Interesting article. And I didn't know it was pronounced like that; I'd just been thinking of it sounding pretty much like it looks, in my head. (Haven't heard it said aloud.)
<table border="0"><tr><td valign="top">Posted Image<td align="center"><font face="Verdana">-=-=-=-=-= Techfreak Ziana =-=-=-=-=-
<font size="1">3.12 GCS/MC/IT/L/O d- s-:- a? C++++ UL
P+ L+ W+++ N+ w+ M-- PS+++ PE Y+ D+
PGP-- t+@ 5++ X R tv+ b+++ DI++++ UF++</font>
"Exciting things are coming!" -Nikola Tesla</font></td><td valign="top">Posted Image</td></tr><tr><td align="center" colspan="3">Posted Image</td></tr></table>

#48 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:31 AM

^yep, a lot of people think it is pronounced Sam-hain.  Those crazy Celts!  Or the crazy people that try to write down Gaelic words.  Never looks the way it should be pronounced.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#49 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 02:45 AM

Oh boy the far religious right try to ban Halloween because it's "Satanic". Some churches even creating so called "Hell houses", set up like conventional haunted houses. Except the horrors are re-creations of abortions, men dying of AIDS, people dying of drug overdoses. etc.
Now we have the touchy-feelies banning it because it's not inclusive.

Pardon me can't my niece go trick or treating without offending the guardians of PC, right or left.

So when Christmastime comes around am I going to have to put up with handwringing.

Kill me now.

-cs™

#50 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 12:27 PM

Norville, on Oct 24 2003, 11:30 PM, said:

Your yard is your private property. An ordinance like that would clearly interfere with your right to religious expression.

Then what's with the cases where I could've sworn I heard that people were "offended" by the religious expression in someone's yard, so they had to take down whatever it was? I know I've heard of those...

:lol: @ Massachusetts comment and the poinsettia "interview". Thanks for levity in a thread about lunacy. ;)
IIRC that was concerning a cross that lit up. Apparently it was really bright when lit up at night, and the light coming from the cross made it difficult for the neighbors to sleep at night...
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#51 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 26 October 2003 - 03:02 PM

Drew, on Oct 25 2003, 02:33 PM, said:

I understand that Bloom County is making a comeback of sorts.
REALLY?? WHERE?! WHEN??

:wideeyed:  :wideeyed:  :wideeyed:

I'm a HUUUUUUUUGE Bloom County fan!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs-up:

Ack-thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhpt.  :p  :p  :p  :p   :hehe:

I have the Death Tounge record around somewhere.  :hehe:

"U Stink-but I luv yeuuu!!"

Opus plays a MEAN trombone.  :lol:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 26 October 2003 - 03:03 PM.

#52 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 03:29 PM

It's not precisely Bloom County, it's an Opus comic. It will run once a week, on Sundays. I think it's starting in November, but I have a bad head for dates. There was a feature on its return last week in our Sunday paper.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC School Holidays, Halloween, Children, Education, 2003, K-12

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users