Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Drive-By Shooting in Detroit. But a good one!

Michigan Detroit 2003

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 02:24 PM

This is one of those cases where justice is extremely blurry:

http://www.freep.com...23_20031023.htm

First, instead of direct commentary, let me just provide a link to the blog that I found this through (somebody who is, btw, a fellow Tusconian!)

http://www.smallestm...705158045114282

The blogger may be correct, in that these citizens probably would have been charged with a lot of crimes if they had stayed behind.

The bottom line, however, is that we can't have citizens shooting criminals and driving off; that sort of vigilante justice breeds chaos.

Where do we draw the line here? What should happen if these two men get caught or turn themselves in?

EDIT: There's also the issue of a measured response. Is lethal force an appropriate way to respond in these circumstances?

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 25 October 2003 - 02:26 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 TechHarper

TechHarper
  • Islander
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:33 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Oct 25 2003, 07:24 PM, said:

*snip*

The bottom line, however, is that we can't have citizens shooting criminals and driving off; that sort of vigilante justice breeds chaos.

Where do we draw the line here? What should happen if these two men get caught or turn themselves in?

EDIT: There's also the issue of a measured response. Is lethal force an appropriate way to respond in these circumstances?
Well, considering how horrible our legal system is, I don't even find it all that odd that someone would take the law into their own hands.  Let's say these guys hadn't shot this bastard and instead had tried to subdue him and then have the police pick him up.  First they would be putting themselves at risk of being beaten as well and even if the police managed to get him, he'd be out of jail within a month or two maximum.  While I definitely agree that vigilante justice will ultimately lead to chaos, I also believe that many of our laws lead to no justice at all.

So, to answer your question as to what should happen to these men, if they were in fact trying to help the girl, give them medals.  That's my moral/emotional response anyway.  Logically/to facilitate an orderly and safe society, I'd say give them a slap on the wrist (like the man beating the girl would have gotten) and then use this situation to argue for tougher laws all around.

-TechHarper

Edited for a bad choice of words.

Edited by TechHarper, 25 October 2003 - 04:36 PM.

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government, there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson
"A nation that limits freedom in the name of security will have neither." - Thomas Jefferson

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 12:37 PM

*Claps his hands and prays that the two men who saved this girl are never found* Because, most likely, if they are the Politically Correct crowd will swarm over them and make them out to be the criminals, and the pipe weilding, girl assaulting, thug will be the victim.

So, what would you suggest? Having the 2 men call the cops...who were nowhere around. How long would it take for the cops to get there? 5minutes? 10? perhaps 15? Long enough for the guy to kill the girl?

IMO, they should be given a medal.

Hmmm. Interesting. What if the girl being attacked was a relative of yours? Would you still say they shouldn't have shot the attacker?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Michigan, Detroit, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users