• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:36 AM

I will let those with skill find the article but a "Anti-Gay" group wants to place a monument in the city park of the town where Matthew Shepard was buried. It basically says the boy will go to hell with a nice biblical quoteexcusing their hatred.

Look I basically do not care one way or the other about other peoples sexual behavior. But a group that tries to say it's God's hate not human hate to cover for it's hateful actions.

I  am a conservative  but these guys make me think about buying a sledgehammer and heading out that way if they get to place that hateful thing in  the park.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:45 AM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Posted Image

#3 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:57 AM

Morons.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#4 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:53 AM

That makes me very... sad.

But it doesn't surprise me. Not much does these days.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#5 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:21 AM

I think I need to give up for a while; everything I'm reading appears to piss me off and disgust me... :Oo:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#6 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:21 AM

Here's a relevant discussion from Metafilter:

Phelps to erect anti-Matthew Shepard monument.

Basically, the leader of this group is Fred Phelps, the same sicko that sent protestors to picket the funeral of Mr. Rodgers a while back. He's as twisted as they come.
Per aspera ad astra

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 02:26 AM

Thanks Kevin I got mine via CNN but I knew there were other sources out there.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#8 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 08:36 AM

Kevin Street, on Oct 29 2003, 12:21 AM, said:

Here's a relevant discussion from Metafilter:

Phelps to erect anti-Matthew Shepard monument.

Basically, the leader of this group is Fred Phelps, the same sicko that sent protestors to picket the funeral of Mr. Rodgers a while back. He's as twisted as they come.
:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  Anybody wonder *now* why I'm not a practicing Baptist? Anybody than can preach hatred in the name of God is beneath contempt.

And his website is godhatesfags.com. I think I may puke.

And the nonsense that prompted this:

What I hope makes this worth posting is the legal ground Phelps appears to have for this action: The park in question is home to a controversial 10 Commandments monument, and the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that any city that displays such a monument on public property must also allow monuments espousing the views of other religions or political groups on that same property (even those containing "hate speech", according to Casper City Attorney Bill Luben). The city is actually considering selling the park land to avoid the controversy, which has interesting implications, in my view.

Edited by Rhea, 29 October 2003 - 08:39 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 09:27 AM

Rhea as A Baptist  I cannot understand how a man...Being like this gets to be the head of his church. It's like what others around here have said we do not know that man and he sure as hell does not represent our God.

TANSTAAFL

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 09:39 AM

G1223, on Oct 29 2003, 12:36 AM, said:

I will let those with skill find the article but a "Anti-Gay" group wants to place a monument in the city park of the town where Matthew Shepard was buried. It basically says the boy will go to hell with a nice biblical quoteexcusing their hatred.
GOOD HEAVENS! :angry: :(

What, precisely, do they hope to accomplish by this?  WHAT, precisely are their GOALS?

And WHO proposed this?

It is so frustrating to see people herded like cattle for the slaughter to doing things that they would NEVER think of doing if they were, in fact, THINKING...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 Atavus

Atavus

Buying more stuff on eBay

• Islander
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 09:49 AM

What I never understood about such strictly religious people (not your run of the mill church visitor, or even someone who knows the bible off by heart), like this Phelps person is, how they can endorse something as violent as the killing of a person (I'm not going to say innocent, since in his eyes Sheppard isn't one). Doesn't it break at least two commandments to endorse something like this? If they manage to get this put up, I hope it gets smashed on a regular basis by anyone who happens to walk by.
Avid fan of "Everybody Loves Hypno-Toad" and Sophie

3000 posts and counting! :) - 18 October 05

#12 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 09:53 AM

G1223, on Oct 29 2003, 09:27 AM, said:

I cannot understand how a man...Being like this gets to be the head of his church.
Simple.  By setting up his own church.

Don't think that this individual speaks for all Christians or all Baptists, or any other group he claims to be a part of, just because he's loud and obnoxious enough to get sensationalist press.

Without getting into the discussion of what's right and wrong (we've been there before), look to what Jesus did with the sinners/social undesirables... he went for dinner with the tax collectors and prostitutes, he didn't erect monuments condemning them.

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#13 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 10:03 AM

Atavus, on Oct 29 2003, 09:49 AM, said:

What I never understood about such strictly religious people
I protest the claim that this man is "religious."  

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#14 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:08 AM

Well, I must say I'm quite disgusted by this alleged "Christian's" behaviour.   :angry:
If it goes up, I think it's time to take a 20 pound sledge hammer on a road trip.

Edited by Jid, 29 October 2003 - 11:08 AM.

cervisiam tene rem specta

#15 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:43 AM

Jid--Can I join you?  :glare:
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

#16 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:55 AM

QueenTiye, on Oct 29 2003, 08:03 AM, said:

Atavus, on Oct 29 2003, 09:49 AM, said:

What I never understood about such strictly religious people
I protest the claim that this man is "religious."  

QT
I protest any reference regarding baptist OR Christian as far as he goes. He MAY be religious about his stupid hatred though.  :angry:

Why do these so-called-Christians/Baptist work so hard to destroy all that Jesus worked for??? Life is hard enough without some Bozo acting like the idiot he is and trying to drag others down with him. Of course Jesus did say that this kind of nonsense would happen. I'm sure he is saddend by this "man's" actions.  :(

I just know there is a special place reserved for them...and it isn't at the right or left hand of God. :devil:

#17 Atavus

Atavus

Buying more stuff on eBay

• Islander
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:07 PM

Thinking about it, I feel incredibly sorry for Shepard's family, not only is this bound to open up some old wounds, but... well, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Phelps is facing a lawsuit and they'll be the first in line with a sledgehammer. Or even, Phelps will get a visit by all the family members. Honestly, I'm not far from saying he'd deserve anything they'd do with him.
Avid fan of "Everybody Loves Hypno-Toad" and Sophie

3000 posts and counting! :) - 18 October 05

#18 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:17 PM

Get in Line Jid.

TANSTAAFL

#19 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:22 PM

I can't even put into words how angry this makes me.

I'm not 100% sure, but if this thing does go up, it seems to me the Shepard family would have a legitmate, and legal, argument for it's removal. Specifically, the:

Fred Phelps' planned monument (PDF, from Phelps' site), to be installed in City Park in downtown Casper, Wyo. (Shepard's home town), would contain the inscription, "Matthew Shepard, Entered Hell October 12, 1998, in Defiance of God's Warning: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as womankind; it is an abomination.' Leviticus 18:22."

The argument being that Phelp's would have to prove their son did indeed go to HELL. Something I seriously doubt that Phelp's would be able to prove. Heck, the Shepard family probably would even be able to win a civil lawsuit on it, based on slander...

But, of course, it does open old wounds.

It's sad that decent people have to put up with BS from people like Phelp's...
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#20 White Tiger

White Tiger

God, The Universe and everything...

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 12:41 PM

I'm sure he wil eventually get the proof one way or the other...he would just have no way to send it back...

a man that claims to be a preacher of God does not spread hate. If there is a Hell it surely awaits, salivating, for a man such as he.
Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.
M.Ghandi.
And the ONE MILLIONTH POSTER ON EXISLE!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fred Phelps, Westboro Baptist Church

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users