• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Perpetual Malcontent

Perpetual Malcontent

The Eternal Explorer

• Islander
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:58 AM

So Mattel has this new doll out that is loosely based on witchcraft.  I am studying a wiccan coven and found this doll interesting.  I was surprised at the amount of controversy surrounding the doll.  What are your thoughts?

http://www.mailorder....html#ac=101675

(edited to add link)

Edited by Senar, 02 November 2003 - 06:15 AM.

My karma ran over your dogma

"To have more, desire less"

"Religion is for people afraid of going to hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there."

You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war - Albert Einstein

The poster formerly known as Senar :)

#2 Lord Ravensburg

Lord Ravensburg

All your lightsabers are belong to me

• Islander
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:18 AM

I think that Mattell must be full of idiots if they thought that this wouldn't be controversial.  I don't know if the dolls have anything at all to do with Wicca (probably not), but any perception of an occult connection prompts a strong and immediate knee-jerk reaction from certain quarters within this country.

#3 Perpetual Malcontent

Perpetual Malcontent

The Eternal Explorer

• Islander
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:22 AM

I think that is the response Mattel wants.  I don't think this doll has much at all to do with kids.  How many anti-christian fundamentalists will go out and buy these dolls just to annoy the fundamentalists?  How much advertisement is Mattel getting from those who love and hate the doll?  I don't think it is any evil corporate plan to convert anyone to witchcraft, I think it is a way to play opposing groups against each other.

"Religion is for people afraid of going to hell, spirituality is for people who have already been there."

#4 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:33 AM

Wow, Senar, you're posting. I haven't seen this in a while, nixce to have you back around.
After looking at the link, my first thought was, "it's pink". The more articulate response is that this has about as much to do with real occult practices as the "magic wands" used in an off Vegas magic act but that won't stop a kneejerk response from the same elements that always make a kneejerk response.
Having met actual people who say they are practicing Wicca and other neopagans I'd say this is just generic enough to offend everyone involved but the misc secular buyer it was aimed at who will have no clue what all the fuss is about.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#5 Perpetual Malcontent

Perpetual Malcontent

The Eternal Explorer

• Islander
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:42 AM

I've been crazy busy.  I should be asleep now, but this whole thing just pissed me off enough that I can't sleep.  I come by now and again when I have a few minutes.  One day, in theory, life will slow down a bit.   :D

#6 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:00 AM

It looks to me like, they're trying to cash in on a Charmed crossover. :unsure:  :eh:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:30 AM

Yay Senar posting! Especially in OT! :wub:

More on point: It's brilliant. Witchcraft-- or at least a watered down superficial version of it-- has been mainstreamed. Look no farther than "Charmed" or "Buffy" for proof. Mattel should make a fair bit of money off of this, and those who are complaining about it are only giving free publicity.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:05 AM

DWF, on Nov 2 2003, 07:00 AM, said:

It looks to me like, they're trying to cash in on a Charmed crossover. :unsure:  :eh:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

But, hey, how about some equal-opportunity tastelessness! I want to see Charismatic Barbie with Hand-Raising Action! Pull the string and listen to five different sayings! (All in tongues, of course, so you'd better buy Charistmatic Midge who comes with the Gift of Interpretation!)

Hmm. Now that I think about it, there's gotta be a market for a "Thoroughly Modern Mullah" Barbie, too.  :cool:

Edited by Drew, 02 November 2003 - 10:11 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:53 PM

I don't understand the fundamentalist outcry for these kinds of things . . . It's a barbie doll with a magic wand.  What's the big deal?  How many other magical beings and mythical "occult" things have been on Children's toy shelves for decades without all the griping?  Fairies, Unicorns, talking animals, etc.

So when are they going to have bible-beater barbie who shouts insults at anyone outside of her narrow-minded world view?  They could sell accessories such as protest signs, and a congressional lobbying agenda.

:rolleyes:

-Nick

#10 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 12:58 PM

Drew, on Nov 2 2003, 09:05 AM, said:

But, hey, how about some equal-opportunity tastelessness! I want to see Charismatic Barbie with Hand-Raising Action! Pull the string and listen to five different sayings! (All in tongues, of course, so you'd better buy Charistmatic Midge who comes with the Gift of Interpretation!)

Hmm. Now that I think about it, there's gotta be a market for a "Thoroughly Modern Mullah" Barbie, too.  :cool:
LOL! :lol:
Per aspera ad astra

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:50 PM

What bugs me about the commercial I've seen for this is that the "sorceress" dolls are said to be casting spells for things like money and love -- just the kind of personal-gain things that are no-nos in Charmed.  It seems like a corrupting form of power.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#12 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:07 PM

"Spells are hard!"

Hey, what else is Barbie gonna cast a spell about?
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#13 GenesisII

GenesisII

• Islander
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:12 PM

Nick, on Nov 2 2003, 10:53 AM, said:

So when are they going to have bible-beater barbie who shouts insults at anyone outside of her narrow-minded world view?  They could sell accessories such as protest signs, and a congressional lobbying agenda.

:rolleyes:

-Nick
This is one I would hate to see come out. It would probably cause too much of a generalized look at christians.

I don't see a problem with the Charmed Girl Barbie. It's just a doll.    :cool:

Edited by GenesisII, 02 November 2003 - 04:14 PM.

#14 Belbo

Belbo

Never Surrender DHARMA

• Islander
  • 476 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:21 PM

The big irony here is that a lot (perhaps most) practising Wiccans and neopagans tend to be "alternative lifestylers", to whom the idea of buying from a corporate megalith which uses sweatshop labour would be anathema.  

They'd do better, IMO, to go for the utterly brilliant Feral Cheryl from Australia.   :wacko:

This 34 cm vinyl doll runs barefoot, dreadlocks her hair with coloured braids and beads, wears simple rainbow clothes, has piercings and a range of tattoos, and even a bit of natural body hair ...... Her motto is "Live Simply, Run Wild". Her only accessories: a bag of home grown "herbs", a sense of humour and a social conscience.
If you check out her page, it seems she's into "Celtic mysticism" and "making her own incense and herbal potions", too - yowza!  :yin-yang:
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding." - Marshall McLuhan.
"Our crusade was such madness that only a real idealist could have thought it up" - Jons, in The Seventh Seal, anticipating the neocons.
"There's no point debating anything online. You might as well hurl shoes in the air to knock clouds from the sky." Charlie Brooker.

#15 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:06 PM

Why are we acting like this doll has anything to do with witches or witchcraft? It's a fairy! That's a completely different thing!

#16 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:27 PM

^^^A Fairy without wings?

You know I could see there beinga problem with Voodoo Barbie, complete with a cigar and her chicken and Vodka bottle, but not this Charm Girl Barbie.

And of course there's Rov's favorite, Pizza Delivery Barbie, she's a red head and comes complete with a two liter bottle of root beer, and a large pizza. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#17 Perpetual Malcontent

Perpetual Malcontent

The Eternal Explorer

• Islander
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:33 PM

I'm studying a coven and frankly they are nothing like this doll, but when has Barbie ever been like a real woman regardless of who she is representing?

#18 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:56 PM

:lol: You've forgotten the Snake Action, testing one's faith by getting snakebitten. ;)

Hmm. Now that I think about it, there's gotta be a market for a "Thoroughly Modern Mullah" Barbie, too. :cool:

Mujahideen Barbie! No, that would have to be Ken, armed with machine guns or rocket launchers. Barbie would need to wear a burqa. (Or there could be Jihadi Ken, complete with boxcutters.)

Edited by Norville, 02 November 2003 - 10:00 PM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#19 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:42 AM

I don't really see how this doll is offesive.

It has less to do with Wicca or other neo-pagan groups then that new 'brother bear' movie that's now out, or less the Harry Potter.
It looks like something you could say 'this was Cinderella's fairy godmother' about, or something like that

And the people who have that knee-jerk OHMYGODITSMAGICEVILEVILEVIL type reaction I just don't care for anyway, and I'm happy they remain a minority.  They may be a lot more vocal than I would care for them to be, but I really can't control that (nor should I, really, but that's a whole new issue)
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#20 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:18 AM

Nikcara, on Nov 3 2003, 12:42 AM, said:

And the people who have that knee-jerk OHMYGODITSMAGICEVILEVILEVIL type reaction I just don't care for anyway, and I'm happy they remain a minority.
So . . . has there been this kind of reaction? Because aside from the link to the actual product above, I'd have never heard of this thing.

Or are we staging a pre-emptive strike against those who might express offense?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Barbie, Wicca Barbie, Controversy, Religion

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users