• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 09:27 AM

Though CNN insists that Hillary is not running, the other Democratic candidates are not so sure. She already has an adoring public hoping to draft her into running.

Barred from getting into the big Iowa Democratic Party Jefferson-Jackson dinner, two dueling Draft Hillary groups will be outside waving signs and petitions and urging Iowans to vote for her in the January caucuses.

"I'm on a mission from God to get all these caucus people to get off their behinds and do the right thing," said Bob Kuntz of Florida, 61, who heads the Hillary Now campaign.

"We are urging the folks here to represent Hillary at the caucus, to create such an earthquake that it will shock the world!"

Kuntz's rival, Adam Parkhomenko, an 18-year-old college student from Virginia who says his Draft Hillary 2004 campaign has racked up 42,000 signatures to Kuntz's 10,000, dreams of a deadlocked convention that will force Clinton to take the party's reins.

Neither cares much that New York's junior senator repeatedly has said she won't be a candidate in 2004.

"She's the party's star," he said. "Hey, anything could happen. And she's never said she wouldn't accept a draft."

Says Hillary:

But Clinton brushed aside concerns she might eclipse the other Democrats. "I think this is a terrific opportunity for the candidates themselves to deliver their message to a much broader population than they've been doing," she said Friday from her office in Washington, noting the attention the dinner has drawn.

Stressing that her Iowa visit came at the behest of the state party, Clinton said her appearance "fits into what I've done for years, which is to help support Democratic candidates who are running for office at the state, local and federal levels."

Gordon Fischer, chairman of the Iowa Democratic Party who invited Clinton, insisted she was more an asset than a distraction. "To be perfectly blunt," he said, "when we inquired whether she'd be available to emcee, we made absolutely sure there wasn't even a ghost of a chance she was going to run for president."

And yet . . .

But Fischer is not the only one pleased to snag Clinton, who receives 150 invitations each weekday, according to her Senate staff. The senator's Iowa visit -- which includes a Sunday book-signing appearance and separate fund-raisers for a local congressman and her 2006 re-election bid -- also cheers Republicans.

It is not just the prospect of diminishing the Democratic presidential field with her outsized presence. For all her pull as a Democratic draw, Clinton also works fund-raising magic for Republicans.

She has replaced the durable Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts as the scary star of direct-mail solicitations, and some Republicans are just as eager as Clinton fans to propagate Hillary-for-president rumors to boost party fund raising and unsettle the Democratic hopefuls.

"Every appearance she makes with them highlights the weakness of the field," said Christine Iverson, a national Republican Party spokeswoman.

And here's an interesting statistic:

Clinton, . . . leads in national polls against President Bush even though she is not running,

Still, CNN snarkily insists:

Hillary Rodham Clinton, who, by all accounts, is working hard to make as little news as possible this weekend. Clinton, who, knowledgeable sources tell the Grind, is NOT running for president in '04 (got it, MSNBC?) . . .

I'm not convinced.  :cool:

Edited by Drew, 15 November 2003 - 09:29 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:22 AM

I'm not a Hillary-hater.

I'm also not somebody who draws up elobarote schemes to explain things.

However, the more I look at Hillary's behavior, the more I see a pattern of 'flooding the zone' to prevent any other Democrat from gaining traction.

This can mean one of three things, from where I'm sitting:
1) She will run in 2004 (which means she's either dangerously indecisive or dishonest, but we're all used to that from politicians by now).
2) She's planning to run soon, and doesn't want to have to wait until 2012; running against a non-incumbent Republican in the post-Bush would probably be her ideal scenario. As such, she's doing what she can to prevent a Democratic victory in '04 without being blatant. I've heard this idea floated around in various places, but I'm not sure I buy it. After the primary season, how much can she really do?
3) She just really, really, likes attention.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:43 AM

Also she might be trying to insure that the pool is poisoned for her party this elecgtion so that in 08 she can make  her run and be seen as the "Great Uniter" pulling toghere the shattered remains of the party. Now it hinges if she can keep her seat in the Senate in 06.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 11:37 AM

Rov: I'm not a Hillary-hater.

If and when we boot her out of the New York Senate seat I’ll be happy to send her a letter suggesting what a lovely state Arizona is. ;)  Just hoping Rudi returns to poltics in time to trash our Senator in 2006.    

Rov: 1) She will run in 2004 (which means she's either dangerously indecisive or dishonest, but we're all used to that from politicians by now).

She could be watching how Dean has now bumbled his words several times and can’t stick with a conviction; along with the fact that the Clinton’s Golden Boy Clark is spinning his tires, can’t make up his mind, and is jumping over what have always been considered essentially in recent years.  It doesn’t exactly lend itself toward these guys looking brilliant capable of standing against her.   The problem for Clinton with her running is she is already such a divider on the National level and she has been instituting she wouldn’t run.  She could very well hurt the Democrat’s chances of making a remotely good showing by dumping most of the right and a good portion of moderates in Bush’s lap.

Rov: 2) She's planning to run soon, and doesn't want to have to wait until 2012; running against a non-incumbent Republican in the post-Bush would probably be her ideal scenario.

It depends on who that Republican happened to be. The Republicans could throw some pretty good candidates into the path of Hillary if they played it smart.  I’d watch for Condi Rice, George Pataki, Tommy Franks, and Rudy Giuliani in 2008 as potential showings who might pop up.  Rudi is probably Hillary’s biggest nightmare on whether he returns to battle it out with her over the 2006 Senate run or pops up later as a potential Presidential or VP runner.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 01:07 PM

Rudi is probably Hillary?s biggest nightmare on whether he returns to battle it out with her over the 2006 Senate run or pops up later as a potential Presidential or VP runner.

I get the feeling that after 9/11 Guiliani could win any elected seat in NY just by announcing his candidacy!

#6 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 01:22 PM

HubcapDave, on Nov 15 2003, 01:07 PM, said:

I get the feeling that after 9/11 Guiliani could win any elected seat in NY just by announcing his candidacy!
I agree with that from my perspective inside New York.  He can surely carry NYC in any election and that lets him wield a big club.  Since Hillary is already disliked to hated here upstate that is all he needs to do to thrash her in an election.  I’m predicting Rudi returns to run against Hillary in 2006.  The other option is Pataki leaves the position of Governor to concentrate on politics on the National Scale with hops for a VP or Pres Run.  Meanwhile Rude runs for governor and takes it in a landslide.

Eigther option is highly attractive but it would be nice to dispose of Hillary sooner rather than later.  However with Rudi for Governor :D we might get a budget passed on time or a lot of bashed heads and egos.  :eek2:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politicians, Hillary Clinton, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users