• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:06 AM

http://story.news.ya...health_ebola_dc

U.S. researchers said on Tuesday they were starting testing on the first experimental vaccine against the Ebola virus in people.

The virus, which kills anywhere between 50 and 90 percent of victims, is still rare but the most recent outbreak in Congo Republic has killed at least 11 people in a remote forest region.

It is considered a threat because it is deadly, highly infectious and has no treatment. U.S. experts fear it could also be used as a biological weapon.

The U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases will test the vaccine for safety in about two dozen volunteers.

The vaccine, made by San Diego-based Vical Inc., has so far fully protected monkeys from the virus. It uses pieces of DNA from the virus to prime the immune system.

Big news indeed, if the trials are successful.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:34 AM

Well this could be big news if the vaccine works.  

The only problem I see is that with the speed Ebola breakouts move at and hop quickly they burn out a vaccine is of dubious use to me.  It sounds as if it takes several boosters to build up immunity here over a few months.  So for mass vaccination in the event of a breakout I think it will only work if Ebola gets out on a large scale. I just don't see Ebola as a large enough threat to start mass vaccination against it without it being on the loose already.

Now where it will be invaluable is in the vaccination of Health Workers who are likely to be exposed to Ebola.

PS That said....  Rainbow 6 and Ebola Vaccines.....twitch  :p

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 19 November 2003 - 09:35 AM.

"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:48 AM

CJ...Rainbow 6 indeed...Ebola..*Twitch and raise you a shudder*

agreed -if it works I can see it being part of a health care professionals standard vaccine package. The last thing we want is for the caregivers to drop while they are careing for the ill.

(As a vetrinary assisstant I had to take rabies vaccines. And am all in favor of every health care professional being innoculated against something like Ebola)
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medicine, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users