California Arnold Schwarzenegger 2003

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:47 AM

Here's an article from the peoples' news section of the Internet Movie Database's People's News section. I thought it was interesting.

Arnie Works for Free
Action man Arnold Schwarzenegger has begun his second day as California's new Governor by revealing he'll be working for free. The Terminator star, who took office on Monday, made his first State of Change news conference yesterday morning and insisted he'll tackle California's $25 billion budget deficit by cracking down on needless expenditure. And that means turning down the $175,000-a-year Governor's salary. Schwarzenegger told press in Sacramento, California, "I'm not going to take a salary. I'm going to start straight right away there and make that cut... and leave it in the general fund, because I want to make the first positive move forward on that." The movie star-turned-politician plans to crackdown on all expenditure, which he hopes will prevent politicians and state workers recklessly overspending. He also revealed he plans to be a compassionate Governor as he considers cutting salaries and terminating state workers' jobs in the coming weeks. He says, "I will not lay anyone off in December or before Christmas." Schwarzenegger is keen to produce a proposed $2 billion in budget cuts by December 5.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:57 AM

That's a good move.  Problem is it will make a barely noticeable dent.  By repealing the car tax he cut of millions of dollars of potential revenue for the state.  Not saying I agreed with the tax.  It's just that I still think Arnold is living in the land of make believe if he thinks he can solve California's financial problems without looking to internal sources of revenue.  Contrary to his belief he can't just wave a magic wand and expect the feds to turn over truckloads of money.

Lil
Posted Image

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 11:30 AM

An excellent move...now if more of our elected officials would do this.!

I think that he and all of California will have a hard set of decisssions to make in the coming months.

May they all be wise ones.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:02 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 19 2003, 08:57 AM, said:

That's a good move.  Problem is it will make a barely noticeable dent.  By repealing the car tax he cut of millions of dollars of potential revenue for the state.  Not saying I agreed with the tax.  It's just that I still think Arnold is living in the land of make believe if he thinks he can solve California's financial problems without looking to internal sources of revenue.  Contrary to his belief he can't just wave a magic wand and expect the feds to turn over truckloads of money.

Lil
Sure he can. After all, this is just another movie....oops! no, it's not!  :p

I'm still waiting with bated breath to see how he's going to cover the $4 billion shortfall from repealing the car tax (not that I wanted to pay it any more than the next person - I just want to know how he's going to cover it).
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 06:27 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 19 2003, 11:57 AM, said:

Contrary to his belief he can't just wave a magic wand and expect the feds to turn over truckloads of money.

Lil
He can if that magic wand turns into his own personal check book...LOL
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 06:48 PM

Rhea, on Nov 19 2003, 09:02 AM, said:

Una Salus Lillius, on Nov 19 2003, 08:57 AM, said:

That's a good move.  Problem is it will make a barely noticeable dent.  By repealing the car tax he cut of millions of dollars of potential revenue for the state.  Not saying I agreed with the tax.  It's just that I still think Arnold is living in the land of make believe if he thinks he can solve California's financial problems without looking to internal sources of revenue.  Contrary to his belief he can't just wave a magic wand and expect the feds to turn over truckloads of money.

Lil
Sure he can. After all, this is just another movie....oops! no, it's not!  :p

I'm still waiting with bated breath to see how he's going to cover the $4 billion shortfall from repealing the car tax (not that I wanted to pay it any more than the next person - I just want to know how he's going to cover it).
Ayup.  And it's going to be interesting to see how he covers that AND manages to fund all his educational reform without passing on some of the cost to the citizens of CA.  

Lil
Posted Image

#7 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:31 PM

Weeeeeeeeeeeellll.....

It's an interesting move, but I'm not as impressed by it as Shalamar and Lil. After all, Arnold is awash in money-so if he gives up his salary, so what?

It might be more of a PR move than anything.

:cool:

#8 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:38 PM

I wouldn't call his move impressive, per se, but it is a move that many people don't take.  He's simply doing the right thing.  He's got money, so he doesn't need to be paid.  I don't think he's a superhero because of it, but there are people who have a fair amount of money who do take the government nickel(s) anyway.  Basically, this simply means that he's on track instead of derailing himself from his vision of fiscal efficency for the government early on.  It's a good sign, but it is merely an easily passed waypost compared to the other things he's going to need to accomplish.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#9 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:47 PM

Uncle Sid, on Nov 20 2003, 02:38 AM, said:

I wouldn't call his move impressive, per se, but it is a move that many people don't take.  He's simply doing the right thing.  He's got money, so he doesn't need to be paid.  I don't think he's a superhero because of it, but there are people who have a fair amount of money who do take the government nickel(s) anyway.  Basically, this simply means that he's on track instead of derailing himself from his vision of fiscal efficency for the government early on.  It's a good sign, but it is merely an easily passed waypost compared to the other things he's going to need to accomplish.
I can't help it; I guess I'm a LOT more skeptical than you. "Doing the right thing"? How do you know this was his true motivation? Based on what facts? Arnold's "on track" just on the basis of this action? Sounds like you're jumping the gun, IMO.

I think it's too early in the game to say if he's really "on track" or not. Perhaps it's just me; I'm not a very trusting person by nature. Hard experience has made me this way.

We'll find out in a year just how "on track" he really is, and how much Arnold knows about doing the "right thing."

Edited by Vapor Trails, 19 November 2003 - 09:48 PM.

#10 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:22 PM

Well, of course, it's too early to say anything about how well he's going to do, but him turning down the salary is obviously a gesture in the right direction.  That may be as far as he goes, but in and of itself, it is positive.  I fail to see any manner in which it could be negative, in and of itself, so I feel no reason to be suspicious of it.  Again, he may not succeed or he may not even be serious about his campaign pledges, but this is something I'd expect someone to do who had money and who ran on his platform.  Obviously, all of this is preliminary, but in order for him to succeed, he does have to make the right gestures as well as pushing through reforms, so even if this is just a PR stunt, one pretty much has to work through PR stunts these days to get anything done so the gesture is effectively null in a constructive direction.  It's one of the failures of democracy when it is operating at the size of a place like California that you have to use sound bytes and small, but pretty gestures, but there you are.  

I wouldn't say that I trust Arnold to do anything and luckily, I don't need to, since I don't live in California.  Indeed, I think that he's got his work cut out for him, and there's a decent chance he's going to fail.  One man did not get California into the hole it's in now, and so one man is going to have a lot of trouble bailing them out.  Nevertheless, suspicion is no more a virtue than over-optimism.  In some places it pays off, in others, it's just an obstacle.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#11 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 12:19 AM

That's a good move. Problem is it will make a barely noticeable dent.

Sure, it was a sensible move. He has quite enough money, so certainly doesn't require the salary.

By repealing the car tax he cut of millions of dollars of potential revenue for the state. Not saying I agreed with the tax. It's just that I still think Arnold is living in the land of make believe if he thinks he can solve California's financial problems without looking to internal sources of revenue.

I resent taxes, but see why they exist. I don't have a car, so this tax didn't affect me; however, the lack of the tax may affect me. The taxes went to the cities for little things like fire/police service. It was ever so sensible to repeal it just for the heck of it... :sarcasm:

Contrary to his belief he can't just wave a magic wand and expect the feds to turn over truckloads of money.

Oh, sure he can. It's just a big movie. Shout "Action!" and there ya go...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#12 LittleRedhead

LittleRedhead

Have a Sparky

• Islander
  • 9,174 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 01:20 AM

Although Schwartzenneger not taking the salary won't make much of a dent in California's budget, it's more symbolic. It's meant to get people to feel that Arnold is serious.
BTW I didn't see Ted Kennedy or other wealthy politicians giving up their government salaries.  ;)
John 3:16

Littleredhead's handle is definitely "Truth in Advertising". - Rov

#13 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:01 AM

VT, Uncle Sid...I never said Arnold was a hero, much less some sort of super hero...

It has always been my understanding that the original idea for our elected officials were that they were citizens pulled from their 'ordinary/customary' lives to serve a stint as a representative of the people then go back to their customary lives...not seek reelection after reelection with substancial salaries and tons of perks...

That is what I was trying to comment on...

and even if all it is is a gesture, it is still something towards that idea...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#14 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:37 AM

Shalamar, on Nov 20 2003, 01:01 PM, said:

VT, Uncle Sid...I never said Arnold was a hero, much less some sort of super hero...

It has always been my understanding that the original idea for our elected officials were that they were citizens pulled from their 'ordinary/customary' lives to serve a stint as a representative of the people then go back to their customary lives...not seek reelection after reelection with substancial salaries and tons of perks...

That is what I was trying to comment on...

and even if all it is is a gesture, it is still something towards that idea...
Well, I'm not impressed by this gesture from Arnold. In fact, I don't think anything of it.

But that's me.

(shrug)

#15 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:07 PM

I agree mainly with Uncle Sid. The gesture, in terms of the actual money, is largely symbolic. However, I see it as an excellent case of Arnold leading by example.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users