What makes GOOD RPing...Just Thoughts..

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 11:03 AM

Here's something else I've been thinking about......and don't any of the GM's take this the wrong way because I'm working on it!  I RP for fun--obviously we all do!! But pain, drama, angst, etc isn't really fun for me--I mean I do this to get AWAY from real life not bring it in.

On the other hand, I know that my characters need to be "real" and have many experiences and go through stuff.  I want them too, as well.  It's just hard for me to write "painful" scenes, but I want to keep trying.  Right now, as I've said, I haven't asked whether Jav will live or not.  At first I was worried because if he died that would upset my little "world"--well, Nikki's world--then I realized I really needed, and wanted, to play it either way.  No matter how much internal pain Nikki might feel.  It's scary to think about having her "hurt", but I think I need to practice being more well-rounded.  But eeeeep. ;)

#22 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:04 PM

Shalamar smiles a 'mona lisa' smile at Nikki.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#23 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:47 PM

Shalamar, on Dec 23 2003, 01:04 PM, said:

Shalamar smiles a 'mona lisa' smile at Nikki.
Okay, missy, you just stop that right now! ;)

#24 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:55 PM

^^ "Moi?"
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#25 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 05:22 PM

A question of character

emotion, drama, complex thoughts and plots, the ability to get into a characters head in a way you almost cannot do in conventional tabletop gaming.

The ability to sit and think, and put yourself truly in a characters head is doable in Tabletop gaming, but is very hard as there is the pressure of time. Most tabletoppers have a scant few hours int he week to game in, and don't want to spend all the time trying to explain why a character does something, it's enough that they do it.

Online roleplaying, ooffers a huge advantage in that you can get into a characters head, you can spend an hour, a day, a week thining about why a character does something and then spend half an hour posting the thoughts of the character.

To take an example of my own, Duncan is probasbly the most ocmplex character iv'e ever played, because i have spent a lot of time posting his thoughts, as well as his actions. Because of this, he isn't just  aone dimensional character, but as multifaceted as I can realistically make a person, where every thread in his mind is as complex as i can make it.

It isn't something I can do IRL roleplaying because normally I lack the time, to do so. But time, is the great advantage of online games.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#26 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:53 AM

I've only just managed to keep up with this thread.  I think the 'not knowing if your character will die or not' does give an edge to an rp.  That was why I liked the Iceberg rp so much when it first started.  It was literally at the roll of the dice.  I find it quite difficult sometimes to remember that in Karasu for example my character is a Nietzschean and therefore will survive much more injury than my human characters do.

I am also not terribly sure how quickly they heal without the help of extra nanobots.  

Brit - who is used to playing human and vulnerable.  :p

If I could remember any good quotes I would put one here!!!

#27 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 01:00 PM

Hmm. I've only been online gaming for a year or so, so please take comments wiht a pinch of salt.....

obviously, online gaming is slower. I miss the enthusiasm occaisionally of tabletop, and sometimes it can move suddenly faster, meaning you end up wiht some of the action passing you by.

I too started tabletop, and I miss the randomness of dice. Some of my more memorable moments have been due to dicerolling, and as any gamer who plays with me can tell you, I have a talent for rolling low. Once in a while it works in my favor, getting me an artifact, but it has also killed many a character and let the odd evil goddess out.

In an online game, there is a lot less of that chance.

I miss it.

Cheers
Chaddee
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#28 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:34 PM

Moderator hat off and strictly GM hat on...

I am going to speak once again about respect, for your GM and the other players in the game.

If RL steps on you hard and you can not post for a time, please respect your GM enough to PM him or her and let them know.

If you know ahead of time you are not going to be able to post for extended times, say a semester..please don't join a game, its not fair to the GM or the other players.

If you are in a game please read all the posts and make sure your character is insync with the game.

If you lose interest in the game PM the GM so your character can be written out.

edited cause I can't type or spell today...

Edited by Shalamar, 29 January 2004 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:47 PM

I'd like to add that a player can PM the GM if they are having trouble getting involved. Well, at least they can PM me in the Trancer RPG. :)

Mostly I want to reinforce that all posts need to be read so you can know what is going on.

#30 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:13 PM

^^{{{{{{{ LoP }}}}}}}}}}}

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users