• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:50 AM

The hard sciences are not my forte. However, one thing I hear-- constantly-- is that the harmful effects of secondhand smoke have largely been discredited; others say that a burning cigarette anywhere in the 'verse causes cancer in puppies <I'm exaggerating, but not by much...>.

So, what are the facts? How much do we know about the effects of second hand smoke?

Spun off of this thread: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=15509
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,335 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:58 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Apr 28 2004, 11:48 AM, said:

emphasis mine

O.k., now you're just showing off! LOL!

HM07

Edited by Handmaiden07, 28 April 2004 - 10:59 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:00 AM

from what I understand there have been two major studies on 2nd hand smoke...one by the EPA in 1993...which was actually a "meta-study"..meaning a study of other studies...the research on that one has largely been discredited...

the 2nd study done was by WHO...on the front of study is printed the statement that 2nd hand smoke does cause a rise in cancer rates...but the actual data inside completely disagrees with that statement..showing no apreciable raise in cancer rates...

gc  :devil:
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,335 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:09 AM

well, I don't know fiddle about any scientific studies.  I do know about asthma, because I'm asthmatic.  And, I cannot be around smokers in enclosed spaces without getting sick.

When I visit my mom and her husband (they are both smokers) - I give advance warning so they can air out the house.  If they don't air out the house I will begin feeling asthmatic after a few hours of being there, and by day two, I will have gotten sick.  So the dangers of second-hand smoke are real, even if they aren't to do with cancer.  AND, exposure to smoke for young children (or so I've read) increases the incidence of asthma.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:20 AM

Handmaiden07, on Apr 28 2004, 12:07 PM, said:

well, I don't know fiddle about any scientific studies.  I do know about asthma, because I'm asthmatic.  And, I cannot be around smokers in enclosed spaces without getting sick.

When I visit my mom and her husband (they are both smokers) - I give advance warning so they can air out the house.  If they don't air out the house I will begin feeling asthmatic after a few hours of being there, and by day two, I will have gotten sick.  So the dangers of second-hand smoke are real, even if they aren't to do with cancer.  AND, exposure to smoke for young children (or so I've read) increases the incidence of asthma.

HM07
Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying 2nd hand smoke isn't dangerous at all or even not harmfull...I just think the gov't regulations made over the past few years to protect teh populace from it have gonve way overboard without any justifiable proof...eespcially regulations about smoking in restricted areas and bars..

gc
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#6 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 01:17 PM

well, I don't know fiddle about any scientific studies. I do know about asthma, because I'm asthmatic. And, I cannot be around smokers in enclosed spaces without getting sick.

I have a good friend who is exactly the same way and she's not asthmatic but tobacco smoke irritates her throat and nose so much that she becomes severly congested which sounds like asthma but she does not suffer the symptoms at any other time.  

It seems to be commonly accepted that second-hand smoke is a significant factor in triggering asthma attacks in children but I wonder if that's because of the increased air pollution in general?  It just seems that theres been a huge increase in either the number of people, children in particular, who are asthmatic or who are diagnosed as asthmatics.  Also, what studies have been done to connect asthma in children to parents who smoke around them?

#7 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

I have asthma, and cigarette smoke always triggers attacks for me. I don't know about any scientific studies, and I know that there are many factors that go into whether a person will or won't develop asthma. However, my mom smoked during her pregnancy with me and then around me when I was baby. I have asthma. She didn't smoke during her pregnancy with my sister or around my sister as a baby. My sister doesn't have asthma.
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,220 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:34 PM

I just think the gov't regulations made over the past few years to protect teh populace from it have gonve way overboard without any justifiable proof...eespcially regulations about smoking in restricted areas and bars..

I don't think they go far enough.  Since when is it all right to risk other people's life and health just because the risk isn't "proven?"  Isn't the responsible thing to err on the side of caution, to assume it's dangerous?  I mean, come on, our society goes crazy about banning things like genetic engineering and cloning just because of the possibility that they might pose some vague, unspecified risk.  Now, it's a known fact that tobacco smoke contains literally hundreds of toxins.  It's a known fact that it kills smokers -- which makes it absurd to think that by some magic it's completely harmless for people who aren't actually holding a cigarette or cigar in their hands when they inhale it.  Maybe it isn't absolutely proven, but there's vastly more evidence of its danger than there is of the danger of genetically modified corn or something.  So there's a bizarre double standard going on here.

I grew up with a father who smoked a pipe.  Until I became aware of the risk and asked him not to smoke around me, I probably inhaled more of its smoke than he did (because pipe smokers don't inhale).  And that scares the hell out of me.  I've actually already had cancer once, but it was on my retina so it probably wasn't due to that.  But I make sure to eat plenty of antioxidants and I try very hard to avoid inhaling tobacco smoke, because I don't want to take the risk.  And because it stinks to high heaven.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#9 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:39 PM

Just like with actual smokers, there are probably some people who are far more suceptible to the effects of second hand smoke than others.

But I still feel we should err on the side of caution here. After all, even it doesn't seem to be killing you, breathing in all that dirt and stuff can't be good for the lungs, can it?
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#10 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:56 PM

The problem with getting "hard" data for something like this is that it's extremely difficult to control the variables to the degree to which one would need to to get rigorous "hard" data.

For example, for a really good study, you'd probably need a representative population sample of, say, 500-1000 people who are in close proximity to second hand smoke most of the time, and 500-1000 people who do their best to avoid second hand smoke like the plague.

And then, follow their medical histories for the next decade (or two, or five).

It's just something that's really not all that feasible.  Sure, you can get close, but, close is:

Survey people of a certain age, asking them how close they've been to second hand smoke in a variety of circumstances, throughout their lives, then look at their incidences of the cancers commonly associated with actually smoking themselves.

Then you get to the problems with the non-common second hand smoke people.

Take me for example.  No one smokes in my family.  (No one really could, asthma's a fairly prevalent thing for my lineage).  So, I don't get a lot of second hand smoke, compared to someone my age who's mother or father (or both) smoked in the home.

However, I have *tried* smoking before, never really saw the appeal of it after that, but tried it.  Anytime I want to go out for food, or a pint, or any such thing, with friends, until the smoking bylaws here pass (July 1 is only 63 days away! ;) ) I will be exposed to a fair bit of second hand smoke.  There's no such thing as a "smoke free" pub here, or I'd frequent it ;)

Factor in the smokers I pass on the way into and out of every building on campus, in the street, and so forth.  

It'd be really hard to get people living a fairly "standard" lifestyle to meet with the stringent "controls" of a scientific study.

So, really, any data I'd read on this, I'll take with a grain of salt.  There certainly is anecdotal evidence to back up the harmfulness of second hand smoke, like HM07's asthma, and a anti smoking activist in Canada, who while never smoking herself, has a smokers tumour after several years of working for a living in a road side diner that allowed smoking.

Personally, I'd rather we air on the side of "better safe than sorry", than to worry excessively about a person's right to kill themselves slowly, despite the irritation and complaints of those around them.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,220 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:37 PM

Jid, on Apr 28 2004, 04:54 PM, said:

Personally, I'd rather we air on the side of "better safe than sorry", than to worry excessively about a person's right to kill themselves slowly, despite the irritation and complaints of those around them.
All the talk about "smoker's rights" overlooks one thing: nobody has the right to put other people in danger.  The rights of the individual cease to be absolute when they infringe upon the rights and safety of others.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#12 Techfreak Ziana

Techfreak Ziana

Mistress Matrix, Technophiliac

• Islander
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:32 PM

Christopher, on Apr 28 2004, 05:35 PM, said:

All the talk about "smoker's rights" overlooks one thing: nobody has the right to put other people in danger.  The rights of the individual cease to be absolute when they infringe upon the rights and safety of others.
Darn right.
<table border="0"><tr><td valign="top">Posted Image<td align="center"><font face="Verdana">-=-=-=-=-= Techfreak Ziana =-=-=-=-=-
<font size="1">3.12 GCS/MC/IT/L/O d- s-:- a? C++++ UL
P+ L+ W+++ N+ w+ M-- PS+++ PE Y+ D+
PGP-- t+@ 5++ X R tv+ b+++ DI++++ UF++</font>
"Exciting things are coming!" -Nikola Tesla</font></td><td valign="top">Posted Image</td></tr><tr><td align="center" colspan="3">Posted Image</td></tr></table>

#13 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:14 AM

All I know is that my parents both smoked from the time they were in their midteens. My dad quit during his first massive heart attack, my mom still hasn't.

My dad has passed on, and my mom remarried a smoker.

Second hand smoke - my sister is Environmentally Intolerant (allergic to literally everything) She's been told it's from being around the second hand smoke. All I know is that if she's anywhere near a smoker or near smoke, she gets very ill - one cheek will get bright red, her hands swell and get purple, she starts talking nonsense, she gets a migraine and her fibromyalgia kicks in.

That's an obvious effect of second hand smoke.

Me, I'm asthmatic. And before I knew I had asthma, I worked in a bar. And every night by 9pm I totally lost my voice and had to eat lemons all night to get it back. I have the kind of asthma that doesn't have the dramatic wheezing attacks (my mom does - remember her? The smoker? She drives me nuts by continuing to smoke) I have coughing fits. And nothing can stop them. My emergency inhaler is great if I'm short of breath or my chest is tight. But once I start coughing - nothing will stop it till my chest desides to stop. And this is that deep nasty bronchial whooping cough kinda cough. Enough to break a rib.

Anyway, smoke can cause me to start that coughing. Not all the time, I'm lucky. But I've noticed when I'm near people who have recently smoked, I uusually wind up with a blinding headache the next day.

Now I hang out with a group of people that are very antismoking.

'shana

#14 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:12 AM

gaius claudius, on Apr 28 2004, 03:58 PM, said:

from what I understand there have been two major studies on 2nd hand smoke...one by the EPA in 1993...which was actually a "meta-study"..meaning a study of other studies...the research on that one has largely been discredited...
That's an interesting way of putting it. Actually, more accurately, a single judge ruled that 1) the EPA published results before the study was finished, which it shouldn't have done and 2) he disagreed with the methodology used, so he deemed the study "invalid". The EPA is still free to publish the report, but has to note that disclaimer. However, dozens of scientists have upheld the findings of the study as valid.

Now, maybe they shouldn't have published results before the study was finished, but it was, after all, a metastudy. If you have 37 studies that show that second-hand smoke is harmful, then guess what - your study of those studies is going to show that second-hand smoke is harmful.

The judge who decided the case was a former lobbyist for big tobacco.

One of the things that he didn't like about the study was that after it was started, they decided to omit a study that they were going to include. I don't know the reasoning for not including the study, and yes, the study did seem to show a weaker link between second-hand smoke and ill effects, but there may have been other reasons.

The study was "discredited"? So far, only by smokers.

Edited to add:

BTW, the EPA is appealing that decision.

Edited by Broph, 30 April 2004 - 07:17 AM.

#15 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:46 AM

Shoshana, on Apr 30 2004, 06:12 AM, said:

Second hand smoke - my sister is Environmentally Intolerant (allergic to literally everything) She's been told it's from being around the second hand smoke. All I know is that if she's anywhere near a smoker or near smoke, she gets very ill - one cheek will get bright red, her hands swell and get purple, she starts talking nonsense, she gets a migraine and her fibromyalgia kicks in.
And I thought I had a bad reaction to smoke.... :eek:

(For some reason, I don't display my reactions very much physically.  It's more that my brain is bonkers for the time being instead, which makes it harder for people to believe me, apparently. :p )
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#16 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:40 AM

Neo,

In comparison, my dad smoked when my mum was pregnant with both me and my brother.
I am the eldest, for the record. He still hasn't stopped
my brother has asthma, I don't.

I've heard  somewhere it is a lack of activty for the immune system that triggers asthma initially
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#17 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:46 AM

There's actually a study out there that says children of smokers have a lower instance of asthma than children of non-smokers. I figure that children of smokers get out of the house more to avoid the cigarette smoke.

#18 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,220 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:02 AM

Broph, on May 4 2004, 08:44 AM, said:

There's actually a study out there that says children of smokers have a lower instance of asthma than children of non-smokers. I figure that children of smokers get out of the house more to avoid the cigarette smoke.
If you grow up among smokers, you accept the smoke as normal -- at least, until and unless you learn better, as I did.

Anyway, a single study doesn't prove anything -- the important question is, do other studies support it or refute it?

Facebook Author Page

#19 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:09 AM

^
I'd also ask who sponsored the study.

#20 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:53 PM

Back in antiquity when I was in college and the professors let students smoke in large lecture halls, I got a cold about every month.  Finally had allergy tests - guess what I was allergic to?

They don't even test you for an allergy to smoke any more - just say it's bad for everybody.  I wish they did.  I find smokers respond more politely when I ask them to put out the thing or aim it another direction because I'm allergic than because I don't like it.

My mother smoked.  My nose runs all the time without 3 wonderful modern sprays - I'm finally Kleenex free for hours at a time, which has only been in the last two years. "Sensitive nose" they called it at my last round of tests since I only showed mild allergies to a couple of trees.  I attribute the state of my nose to my mother and to smoky environments I didn't know enough to avoid.

I have about an hour's tolerance to smoky rooms before I start to feel the tingly itch in my nose that tells me I'm going to get an allergic cold if I don't get the heck out of there.  I ate in a smoky restaurant the night before I was going to see a performer I really liked in a musical and had an invite to go backstage and meet him after.  By the next day I had laryngitis and could barely croak out a word.  Some meeting. And that's why I don't hang out in bars at cons - unless they're in California!

No-smoking laws go hand in hand with drunk driving laws in attempting to keep the public safe.  Want to go out in the desert with one of those bike things, smoke a pack and drink a whole bottle?  Fine with me if nobody's near - you're only endangering yourself.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users