• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Harpie4

Harpie4

Exisle: "Where does my allegiance lie, if not here?"

• Islander
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:40 PM

Well, I have just returned from Armageddon 2004 - the Sci - fi convention here in Auckland. Believe it or not, it was my first ever and I have to say I really enjoyed myself.

It did get a bit crowded and, not one for crowds, I soon worked out where to stay clear of ( mainly the gaming  areas)

On the guest list this year ( not all the same day ) were:

LOTR - John Rhys Davies, John Noble, Bruce Hopkins, Lawrence Makaore and Mark Ferguson ( Gil Galad from EE of FOTR)

Others - Corin Nemic ( Stargate) George Takei ( Star Trek) Anthony Montgomery ( Enterprise) and Xenia Seeberg ( Lexx) and the little boy who played "Neville" in the Harry Potter movies.  

Not being a massive groupie ( and with a friend who was not as big a sci-fi fan as me, I was very selective as to who I went to see and get photos of.

George Takei was an absolute gent and happily posed for a photo giving the "Live Long and Prosper" signal. Anthony Montgomery was just as accomodating  - nice guy. Lawrence Makaore is a wonderful guy - very witty and down to earth - he towered over me ( he's about 6 ft 6) and bent down to have his picture taken along side me ( I am 5 ft 3) He then said "You can go tell everyone that I'm really not that tall in real life!"

In his question and answer session he was very witty and told a great story about the fact that he was really stoked to be working with Christopher Lee in LOTR as he was someone that he had long admired and had seen all his horror films ( and had been frightened by him as a child!). When he was first made up as Lurtz - what he really wanted to do was jump out on Christopher Lee for the first time to scare him as a kind of payback. They kept telling him he couldn't because Christopher Lee was now 78 and his heart wasn't as strong as it could be and they kinda needed the old guy around for a few more months yet to film!!!

I posed for a piccie with Corin Nemec as I was a fan of his Jonas Quinn character and, at his question and answer session he gave some interesting insights into the politics behind Stargate and generally came across as a really intelligent and nice guy. I asked him what his thoughts were on the work that is being generated "down under" now and he stated that it is being viewed similarly to what happened with productions moving to Canada - he stated that there wasn't an actor he knew that hadn't worked there and he can envisage similar things happening with Australia and  New Zealand in the near future.

John Rhys Davies is wonderful. When I posed for a picture with him, he played with my hair ( there is rather a lot of it!!) and he wished me all the luck in the world for my acting career ( he had asked me what I did for a living and I replied that I was just starting out.) He is a real charmer and he signed my picture " For beautiful Helen from John Rhys Davies and Gimli" ( bet he says that to all the girls)

He is a really down to earth, charming guy and his question and answer session was equally as good. He had said to someone else that he had not wanted to play Gimli, thought NZ was the wrong place and didn't think that PJ could make the movies at all. When I picked up on this I asked if he had drawn this conclusion re PJ because he had seen "Meet the Feebles" , "Bad Taste" and "Brain Dead". This question got a fair amount of laughter from the audience and John admitted that he had seen these films and they went part way to him drawing the conclusion that PJ wasn't up to it! However, he was magnanimous in admitting he was wrong and that PJ is one of the top three directors in the world now.

He also admitted that he sent his double along when the Fellowship got their tattoos!!!

He also admitted how dissapointed he was in "Sliders" and that it could have been a far better show than it was because they kept trying to emulate other shows rather than be more original with the storylines.

Anyway, was a great convention. I missed John Noble and Bruce Hopkins as they had only been there the day before which I was unable to attend but I was pleased to have my first sci-fi experience and hope that all the piccies come out ok! In the meantime, have posted the piccie of me with Corin Nemec on here ( Thanks to Rov!)- I hate piccies of myself but as far as I go, I guess it's not TOO bad ( although the dental work prevented me from smiling too widely!!) ;)

RovEdit: Attaching pic as requested.... cuuuuuuuuuute!

Attached Images

• harpiecutie.jpg

Edited by Harpie4, 18 April 2004 - 02:27 AM.

"Home is behind, the world ahead, & there are many paths to tread.
Through shadow, to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist & shadow, cloud & shade. All shall pale, all shall... fade."

Peregrin Took, Son of Paladin. In the Great hall of Minas Tirith. ROTK

#2 Kes

Kes
  • Islander
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:26 PM

Harpie4, on Apr 17 2004, 10:38 PM, said:

I posed for a piccie with Corin Nemec as I was a fan of his Jonas Quinn character and, at his question and answer session he gave some interesting insights into the politics behind Stargate and generally came across as a really intelligent and nice guy.

In the meantime, have posted the piccie of me with Corin Nemec on here ( Thanks to Rov!)- I hate piccies of myself but as far as I go, I guess it's not TOO bad ( although the dental work prevented me from smiling too widely!!) ;)
Sounds like a great time - you had some nice guests, John Rhys Davies has been one of my favs since the Indiana Jones movies.     I love your pic with Corin - ya'll both look very cute.    :D

Did Corin mention any chance of a guest appearance in Stargate in season 8?  I'd love to hear his comments on the Stargate politics if you think it's okay to repeat it here.    I don't know what all went on behind the scenes but I have been impressed with the way Corin has handled everything.  He's always come across as a very nice guy and handled the situation with a lot of grace and style.

Thanks for your report!

kes

#3 Harpie4

Harpie4

• Islander
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:11 PM

Hi there

Corin said that he has not been approached to do any more episodes at this stage. He was supposed to play the lead in Stargate Atlantis but then they shelved that idea when the origianl Stargate was commisioned for another season. There was also the talk of a movie but MGM did not pass the script so that won't be happening either.

Corin mentioned that when he was brought in after Michael Shanks left, he felt a definite outsider and found it hard to find his "place" in the well established cast.

Also, it was very political when Michael Shanks came back - he had approached the studio to play slightly more of a part in the show than the odd guest appearance in "spirit" form and the executives felt that it would be really good for the show to get the original cast reunited and might mean more seasons would be commisioned as a result so he came back in on a permanent basis which menat that Corin had to go .

Michael left when the show changed networks at the end of season 5 as he didn't think that they would get the audiences when the show transfered to the Sci- fi channel but, ironically, season 6 was one of the most successful from an audience and writing point of view.

Now I didn't previously know all the politics and the reasoning behind Michael Shanks departure so I hope that I have interpreted what Corin said correctly. What was clear though was that he has not been approached for Season 8 although he guests/guested in 3 episodes of season 7 ( we haven't seen that in NZ yet)  

Hope this helps and thanks re the piccie! I was actually quite pleased with it!

#4 Kes

Kes
  • Islander
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:39 PM

Corin said that he has not been approached to do any more episodes at this stage. He was supposed to play the lead in Stargate Atlantis but then they shelved that idea when the origianl Stargate was commisioned for another season. There was also the talk of a movie but MGM did not pass the script so that won't be happening either.

*sigh*     I was kind of hoping he would get a guest spot in season 8 but I guess I'm not surprised.    TPTB could have kept the Jonas character around in season 7 (even on a recurring basis) and then spun him off to Atlantis.    They chose not to so I guess they just want to forget Jonas' whole story.  

Michael left when the show changed networks at the end of season 5 as he didn't think that they would get the audiences when the show transfered to the Sci- fi channel but, ironically, season 6 was one of the most successful from an audience and writing point of view.

Well there was a lot going on when Michael left, but he's stated in interviews that he felt they just weren't doing much with Daniel anymore.   He was unhappy and left.   With RDA's reduced schedule in season 7, MS was offered the opportunity to play a larger role and I guess he's happier now.  Unfortunately Corin kind of got pushed out the door (I think because of budget concerns) and I feel badly for the people who became Jonas fans.  They could have certainly used an extra character to help cover the lack of RDA in season 7.

Now I didn't previously know all the politics and the reasoning behind Michael Shanks departure so I hope that I have interpreted what Corin said correctly. What was clear though was that he has not been approached for Season 8 although he guests/guested in 3 episodes of season 7 ( we haven't seen that in NZ yet

I don't think *anyone* knows all that went on behind the scenes, probably not even some of the people involved!     I'm still hopeful Corin may get approached for some sort of season 8 appearance as they just began shooting in March.   Ironically, in his appearances in season 7, several of his scenes were with Michael (in Fallen/Homecoming) and I thought Jonas had more chemistry with Daniel than most of the other regulars.  

Hope this helps and thanks re the piccie! I was actually quite pleased with it!

You should be!   It's adorable.    I can't tell if Corin's hair is still real long or not but he looks very cute.  Hopefully he's working on a lot of new projects and we'll get to see him onscreen again soon.  

Thanks again for the details.   :D

#5 Harpie4

Harpie4

• Islander
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:53 PM

Well, not real long but longer than he had it in Stargate, that's for sure!

He stated that he is doing quite a bit of writing and that he has written 8 screenplays ( but only 7 he would actually show anyone!)

He got commisioned for an ep of Stargate that he wrote a synopsis for but I don't know if he was ever credited....

He didn't mention any acting projects in the pipeline though ( but then again nobody asked  - I was going to but his time ran out and it was Lawrence Makaores turn to come and talk)

Edited by Harpie4, 19 April 2004 - 08:55 PM.

#6 Kes

Kes
  • Islander
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:15 PM

Harpie4, on Apr 19 2004, 07:51 PM, said:

He got commisioned for an ep of Stargate that he wrote a synopsis for but I don't know if he was ever credited....

He didn't mention any acting projects in the pipeline though ( but then again nobody asked  - I was going to but his time ran out and it was Lawrence Makaores turn to come and talk)

Corin wrote the story for the season 7 episode "Fallout".   That was his third (and last) guest appearance in season 7.   The screenplay for the story was written by Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie.    Yes, Corin was credited with writing the story.

It was one of the better episodes of season 7, I thought.  Corin seems to have some talent in that area.  

As for acting, I think I recall reading that he was recently in India working on a movie, but I can't remember where I read it!    :rolleyes:

Edited by Kes, 19 April 2004 - 09:15 PM.

#7 Harpie4

Harpie4

• Islander
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for that. Yes, I agree with you re the chemistry between Daniel and Jonas...

Lets hope Stargate Atlantis happens eventually - i think a fresh angle is needed now... ;)

#8 Kes

Kes
  • Islander
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

Harpie4, on Apr 19 2004, 08:32 PM, said:

Lets hope Stargate Atlantis happens eventually - i think a fresh angle is needed now... ;)

Oh, Stargate:Atlantis *is*  happening, just without Jonas/Corin!!  An actor named Joe Flannigan will play the lead role of John Sheppard.  There's all kinds of information on it over at www.gateworld.net.

The first season of Atlantis just started shooting and it premieres on the U.S. Scifi channel this July.  It will air along with the 8th season of Stargate: Sg-1.

#9 Harpie4

Harpie4

• Islander
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:39 PM

I love NZ but it Takes SOOOO Long for us to get news down here.....thanks for the update.

I guess it'll be about three to four years before we get Stargate Atlantis here - if at all!!!!

We are still on season 1 of Enterprise!!!

#10 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:15 AM

Sounds like you had a great time, Harpie4!

Thanks for the report.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users