#1 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:08 PM

Dallas Republicans for Kerry/Edwards

Who are we?

We were life-long, active Republicans, but we believe the good of our country must come first. We want a balanced budget and a reduced national debt. We want a collaborative approach to foreign policy and for America to be respected in the world. We want good jobs for all Americans. We want our government to make and enforce reasonable protections against abusive companies. We want affordable health care and prescription drug coverage. We want common-sense regulations that protect our environment. And we want a president who respects privacy and equality for all citizens. That's why we're proudly voting for John Kerry.
What is Republicans for John Kerry all about?

We are ordinary Republicans from across the political spectrum -- moderate, conservative and progressive -- who believe in the sanctity of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. This unites us in our desire to return our country and our party to the traditional values that have been abandoned by the present extremist administration and their exclusionary allies in Congress. We are supporting a Democrat, John Kerry, because we believe he more honestly represents these values so vital to the health and well-being of our democracy. On the important issues of foreign policy, fiscal responsibility, tax policy, energy, the environment, media consolidation, civil liberties and trust, history has shown us all too clearly that John Kerry will be a far better steward than the present administration. We believe that all Americans should heed George Washington's wisdom and put country before party.

It is our hope that after this election our party will return to its roots in the spirit of Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt, and again represent the mainstream of Republican thinking.

Thoughts?

Ro

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:15 PM

oh boy.

#3 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:16 PM

:eek4:   Thoughts?!  Dallas, where I'm typing from, is the heart of Bush country and is very politically conservative.  I'm really interested to read more about this.  I do admit that I avoid the local new outlets like the plague so I may have missed a switch in moods but I still think the majority of the area is still fervently pro-Bush. Well, let me put it this way, the big money and power in town belongs to Bush but this is still interesting.

#4 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:18 PM

I'm in Austin, but certainly my impression of Dallas was rock-solid Republican.

And, in truth, they are being very specific about what they believe Republican values to be.  To say that they do not think the sitting President and leader of their party espouses those values is pretty strong tea, indeed.

Ro

#5 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:19 PM

I couldn't find any link about their numbers. So far, there is no way for me to tell it isn't just two guys with a computer in their basement :) I'd love it to be more, but, I can't find proof yet. ;)

#6 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:24 PM

Okay, I just checked their site and looked at their meetup schedule (using Meetup.com) and they've got 8 meetings, at various locations, across the metroplex all at the same time as they say the response has been overwhelming.  Oddly enough they're concentrated in the North Dallas area which I would assume to be the most conservative as opposed to say Oaklawn (historically the heart of the so called "gay" district or Garland, or even Ft. Worth.  I've noticed their coordinating with the local Democratic party too so I've got a friend I can ask about that as he's a very active member.

Edited by gadfly, 25 August 2004 - 01:28 PM.

#7 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:27 PM

I'm in Austin, but certainly my impression of Dallas was rock-solid Republican.

Oh, you are so right.  Austin and Dallas are like night and day.  I love Dallas but miss Austin tremendously.

And, in truth, they are being very specific about what they believe Republican values to be. To say that they do not think the sitting President and leader of their party espouses those values is pretty strong tea, indeed.

It is indeed strong tea but I do wonder about their true numbers.  The meetup schedule seems to indicate that they have had quite a tremendous response but, as per Hambil's post, I think I'm going to do some more digging to check.

#8 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:30 PM

Well, there are 389 signed up for the Republicans Against Bush meetup in Dallas/Plano. That's not a huge percentage by any means, but more than 2 guys in a basement, anyway. :)

Ro

#9 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:42 PM

I may end up being a Republican for Kerry.

I'm dating a Kerry girl, things are going well. Being liberal in some areas is okay with me.

-Ogami

#10 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:44 PM

Ogami, on Aug 25 2004, 11:40 AM, said:

I'm dating a Kerry girl, things are going well. Being liberal in some areas is okay with me.

-Ogami
I appluad anyone who tries to have an open mind. Whether you end up voting for Bush or Kerry. And I wish you the best in your relationship :)

#11 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:45 PM

Ogami, on Aug 25 2004, 02:40 PM, said:

-Ogami

THUD!!!!!!

gc :devil:

The sound ofGaius Claudius fainting at his desk
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#12 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:52 PM

I've noticed that meetings listed for Dallas are only for Dallas and the north Dallas area.  There also meetings in the mid cities area (Arlington/Irving), Ft. Worth, and Denton County (Denton).

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

-Ogami
*FAINTS*

:eek4:

;)
Posted Image

#14 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:05 PM

Ogami, on Aug 25 2004, 01:40 PM, said:

:lol:  :lol:

Loving it!  Ro

#15 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:09 PM

Ogami, on Aug 25 2004, 06:40 PM, said:

wha WHAT?   :suspect:    ;)

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:11 PM

Of course, being able to date one of the Heinz boys is a surer pass to the really big bucks.  :devil:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#17 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:12 PM

-Ogami
Wait, let me guess, the girl's name is Kerry, right? ;)

#18 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

Okay, I've "spoken" with a friend of mine who is very involved with the Dallas area Democratic party and he's not heard of them before so their numbers are still small enough to not make a huge dent but my friend also stated that there are rumours about many Republicans in the area being dissatisfied with Bush for the reasons listed on the site.  The rumours also hinted at quite a few voting for Kerry, Nader, or simply not voting at all.

#19 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for that info, gadfly.

I'll be intrigued to see what if anything comes of this.

Ro

#20 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:20 PM

HubCapDave wrote:

Wait, let me guess, the girl's name is Kerry, right?

No, and she's also a volunteer for moveon.org in our area.

James Carville and Mary Matalin could make it work, didn't they?  :inlove:

-Ogami

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Dallas Republicans, Kerry/Edwards

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users